FR Clothing for Campfire building?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Mar 19, 2019.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Flame Resistant/ Flame Retardent or what ever you chose to call it clothing is something I’ve been looking at for outdoor use.

I have been thinking about buying a lightweight button up style shirt to use for a light over shirt and primarily for use while fire building.

I already like to carry a pair of Nomex flight gloves for the same purpose. But a little more protection for the arms would be nice.

So my question is can someone recommend a brand or retailer for such a shirt? I know about NOTHING about this type of clothing other then having some Massif brand Jackets and driFire T-shirt’s.

Thanks!

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

As another suggestion, maybe something 100% wool ? Wool is somewhat of a natural fire retardant product and it can serve double duty keeping you warm and snug !!

RocketmanDane and Neilsen like this.
  3. Tashunka witko

Tashunka witko Member

We got tecgen and caraharts at work.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Andy the Aussie I’ve not really had to much experience with wool. I actually have a nicely oversized Pendleton wool Mills brand button up shirt that could work. I may have to dig it out and take a look at it.

5. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

That sort of clothing really isn't necessary. Discipline is key. Plus those type of clothing are usually heavy and uncomfortable for recreational purposes. For clothing to remain FR there is a specific type of cleaning process to ensure the FR capabilities remain. Just washing at home will degrade the FR.

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

you building BC logging block size fires? :D

not sure if this correct but a heavy solution of Alum powder soaked onto cotton / poplin type fabrics is supposed to be fire resistant. \

Or a solution of borax, sprayed onto the clothing, let dry, followed y a solution of borax and boric acid, sprayed onto the fabric. washes out though with rain or washing

I could be wrong....swear i read that somewhere in an old scout manual

7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....till the early - mid 90s all the issued turnouts for the Fire Brigades here were made of heavy 100% wool for just this reason, just what the hell you wanted to be wearing around a blaze of course...

RocketmanDane, JV3 and Bushman5 like this.
  8. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

We wear CrewBoss brand FR shirts and normal blue jeans on the fire line when we do prescribed burns. We also have some guys that really like the wrangler riggs pants.

RocketmanDane and JV3 like this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mountainmistwanderer I am unfortunately cursed with hair from knuckles to elbow that i swear just looks at fire and start to burn... I’m just sick of having funny looking arms after fire building :(

@Bushman5 see above... even the smallest fire I seem to loose arm hair... I have the same problem BBQing and Cooking... :(.

Looking for a extra layer of protection is all..

10. Hammer

Hammer Member

I've always just used some leather gloves and an old long-sleeve wool shirt.

RocketmanDane and JV3 like this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

12. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

13. Tashunka witko

Tashunka witko Member

Thankfully I only have to wear FR clothing inside a substation which I try to avoid.

Bushman5 and RocketmanDane like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

The Bedouin’s in the Sahara wear heavy heavy wool garments, keeps them cool from the blistering sun and heat, think of it as a insulated layer keeping out the heat.

However I would not want heavy wool for turn out gear......the weight when soaked with water would be debilitating after a bit.....

15. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I wear 350 dollars worth of nomex clothing nearly everyday as a wildland fire fighter/prescribed burn crew member and I have never put it on for campfire lighting lol. To me the pants are far more important than the shirts, we are regularly stepping through 8-12 inches of flame and more at times or carrying a drip torch (which you will light your leg on fire sooner or later with one of those). The yellow shirts don't really seem to do much, small embers blowing in the wind will burn through practically instantly. The main reason we wear nomex is that while it does burn, once you remove the heat source it will self extinguish. I do have an arborwear double thick sweatshirt that is flame resistant and while it's not technically approved for fire fighting I do wear it a fair bit for prep work and around machinery/riding utvs and running chainsaws.

Spikebot587, C99c and Bushman5 like this.
  16. Hammer

Hammer Member

We're just talking about building a campfire here, right?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yes.....a rager..........40 feet across 75 feet high........

;):D:p

Mountainmistwanderer likes this.