found the dream property....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushman5, Jan 17, 2018.

1. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Yep, the US (I have no clue about Canada) has specific types of loans that are available for first time home buyers. It makes it easier to get a loan with a smaller or no down payment. There's a lot of restrictions around it: I'm pretty sure it has to be your main dwelling, etc.

The Marsh Gorilla and Kaw-liga like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I wish. Wont be for a while yet. Got $22 in savings and a part time job. House is in the parents name to save me taxes. Wont be selling the apt for probably 5 - 10 years.

It's complicated.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

what i like about it is:

- lots of game and fish
    - GREAT SOIL for gardening
    - lots and lots of water
    - lots of timber onsite
    - insane amounts of FREE salvage firewood on Crown Land
    - Multiple access roads all around........and towns nearby (well....not nearby but a half days drive)
    - remote
    - off grid
    - neighbors in these types of rural areas are very friendly and everyone looks out for each other. (even the First nations vs the rest of us.....people set aside racial differences and help out NO MATTER WHAT)

going to be a while before this ever happens.

but i can dream.

Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  4. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Bushy, have you seen information about "Secret Garden of Survival"? Here is a link: http://secretgardenofsurvival.com/

It is an interesting concept where you have a perennial garden that does not look like a garden to someone looking at it. If that property has that great of soil for growing, you might consider this concept for the garden.

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ goods stuff!

I'm all about Zombie gardening......piles of compost and good soil, with squash, zukes, cukes, spuds, garlic , onions, etc. Self seeding and self sustaining with minimal watering. And every year they produce more than you can handle.....

and herbs....the rosemary plant i started at the ex GF's place in Delta, years ago......is now a freaking huge shrub, somewhere in the neighborhood of 6' wide x 4' deep ' 4 feet tall.

also into gardens as a FOOD attracting mechanism......DEER LOVE GARDENS.......I like deer meat......the real garden would be in a animal secure green house, the outside garden would be a food source but also a deer source.

that area up there is HOT is summer.....wicked hot pepper and regular pepper growing season!

6. Benson X

Benson X Member

This is exactly the type of place my brother and I always dreamed about getting if we ever make it back up to Alaska...a nice place to homestead and go all "Dick Proenneke" on it. I've recently been committed to a semi-rural, but still city/suburban location - but I'm WAY happier than I was in the "cookie cutter" cul de sac we were at previously.

Keep that dream alive, man - and even if this particular spot isn't meant to be (right now), now you know what to look for and there's some reassurance that properties like this are still available/attainable. :)

timdgsr and Bushman5 like this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

Late to this party. Consumed at work (in a good way).

I'll be back ...

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I love the "One Man's Wilderness" book they made (loosely) from his journal entries. I've seen the video on youtube, but I really need to buy a DVD copy of it.

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

WILDERNESS RAVES! (they are actually super popular here....small groups of people, drive hundreds of KM's into the woods, rave all night long and camp out. ).

Zeek likes this.
  10. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Man I would hate the be the person that had to clear up the next day after one of those.

11. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I've come across the remnants of one in the mountains before... Dozens of empty craft beer bottles, food wrappers, old fire pit, and a neat little pile of frozen man scat.... :eek:

Thankfully I had more pressing matters to attend to at the time, so I didn't have to clean it up, but still, dig a cathole man.

12. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Exactly.

13. DesertFox

DesertFox Member

Had you considered setting up the equivalent of a limited liability company, applying for a business loan using the apartment and the home as collateral, and then doing guides/hunts and renting the space? It sounds like you have quite a few people on this board that seem willing enough to spend some time there, and the size of the place would easily do for some mini-survival courses etc. as well as rentals for scout troops, etc. That would be hilarious, to have a ESEE FORUM TIMESHARE COMPANY, INC. :)

14. DesertFox

DesertFox Member

"Dear Hipsters,

We pooped in the woods before it was cool, but we dug catholes.

You should dig a cathole too, but you've probably never heard of it."

There.

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.