Flip Pallot

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

This resonates with me. If you haven't read much about Flip, it's worth the time to learn about him. Cool cat.

"For some of us, something deep inside our heart is most at home in search of places we have never been. It’s the part of us that senses a familiar feeling when we are staring into a campfire. It’s the part of us that slowly wilts, sitting behind a desk."

2. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Expat, Thanks for posting this, watched it again tonite. Much of what Flip says brings back memories with my Father. He fished often near our home in lakes on the Georgia-South Carolina line, one of the few things we had in common and often did together. I knew the better fishing holes on those lakes from years of experience so he loved having me along for company. When I was much younger, before my career behind a desk, I fished, bass, bream, and crappie were my passion, a passion I hope to regain after I retire. While I was fishing in those days he was working at nights and weekends after his day job on Johnson & Evinrude outboards from 1965 to around 2005. We always had a boat and after fishing took a hold on me, we always had one of the early shallow water bass boats, even if I was the one using it most of the time, he took pleasure in seeing me on the water. I lost that passion after moving to fast paced city life in Atlanta and a career, he sold the bass boats eventually and replaced them with Jon boats for fishing for him and a pontoon to hold the entire family which we used often every year, he never lost the passion for fishing though. When Flip mentioned the St. John's river in central Florida, it really hit home. My Dad took annual week long fishing trips to the St. John's river in Florida starting in the 1970's with those early bass boats with 3 buddies fishing mostly for bream and I went with them a number of times particularly as he got older and the ravages of the Parkinson's disease that took his life grew worse, I had to go to take care of him, not something I minded. Near the end of his life, he could no longer make the trip to Florida, so we and his three friends rented at State Park cabin at Lake Russell on the Savannah River close to home, a place I still love, I was one of the first to fish that lake after it was built around 1980 and years before others frequented it so I knew it well. We had a couple of great week long trips there before he passed. My whole family along with my Dad spent years on boats of all kinds, about 20 on Lake Secession, SC and over 30 on Lake Russell until we finally had to put him in a care facility specializing in Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and dementia. Miss him and miss those times, but life goes on and generations change so passing that love on to my son, nieces, and nephews is the important thing now, that's the way he would have wanted it. He also would want to see those passions in me reignited........

Frankenstein likes this.
  3. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

And Flip is one of those rare men with a passion like Hemingway, a passion for life and the great outdoors particularly on the water.......

4. Expat

Thanks for posting all that, brother. It's great that you have so many fond memories. You're wealthy beyond imagination.

My family is all from SC. Grandaddy spent a lot of time fishing down around Santee.

There is nothing more glorious or sad that generations changing hands.

GaryMc likes this.
  5. Expat