Firearms Question for extended bush time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BushcraftKilburn, Dec 20, 2018.

?

In your opinion, which seems like a good Bushgun option?

1. Winchester 94 .30-30

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Savage 10 Scout .308

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Savage 111 .30-06

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. SKS 7.62x39

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Mossberg 500 12 gauge

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Ruger 10/22

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. AR 5.56/.223 with potential .22lr adapter

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  8. Other (please comment and share!)

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. JMick

JMick Member

It doesn't meet your one gun option, but Sam Fadala, a true woodsman and author wrote an article in a GUNS annual on what he called the "Tortoise hunt", an open-ended trip into the mountains hunting and exploring much as you are.
    He advocated for the lever-action 30-30 with standard hunting loads and small game loads consisting of lead .30 cal bullets around 100 gr. He also paired this up with a .44mag or a .45acp depending on whether the threat was greater from grizz or bad guys. To finish this out he used a muzzle-loading double bl 12ga. cut really short.

The lever gun was for all the reasons that has made it a great bush gun out to 200 yds, the handgun for going to bathroom at night or when carrying a long gun on your body is impractical. The short shot gun for when you're freezing and have to make the shot, or moving fowl and small game.

A modern take on the shotgun, would be a Remington Tac-14 or Mossberg shock-wave.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  2. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

I guess it depends on where you live. Up here in Alaska they tend to carry different guns depending on what they are doing and the season. Fish camp is usually a shotgun. In the Fall a rifle is usually carried to shoot big game if you have a chance encounter. Winter is usually small game so 22lr or 223 are popular. Many people carry multiple guns on vehicles.

JMick likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

45-70 fans on here? Seems like that would be a good option for the bear states. What do you all that have bears feel comfortable with?

mtngoat likes this.
  4. BushcraftKilburn

BushcraftKilburn Member

Wow, I'm very happy that there has been so much interaction on this post.

I've begun to kind of narrow a year round carry; and yes, a pistol is involved.

But now that we've spoken in depth about bush gun during calm times what about a carry option during times of turmoil? I have narrowed what I would personally grab and it's not light.

Myself:
    -An AR chambered in 223 Wydle (possibly 300 Blackout) with short-mid range optic at 16".
    -A 30-06 (or .308) bolt with a good long distance optic
    -A G19 9mm
    -A 1911 45ACP as backup or for bear.

My wife:
    -An AR chambered in 223 Wylde with long range optic at 18".
    -A lever 30-30 (or .308) for close to mid-range
    -A 92FS
    -A 1911 45ACP as backup or for bear, if possible.

I've realized a few things about shotguns. They are a great option if you have to get close. However, if I can avoid getting close I will. a long barrel on a shotgun (12g) seems to be good for hunting and, yes, for moderate distance. But with a huge barrel they are heavy as mud and that is the only reason I personally avoid them. But, I do think having a shotgun in the trunk of the car or dragged in a shed is a worthy weapon to have.

I realize this addition to the post is changing the topic of the original post drastically.

5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

....why not combine both and go with a quality 7.62 rifle with optics (QD mounted even so you could change between an RDS and someting with magnification). FAL (well Commonwealth Pattern versions are my pick) is where my heart goes but a 7.62 AR10 seems to fall right in here.

..... likewise why not combine one and two with a single rifle. If your wise case wield a 30/30 or .308 no reason she too could not use and AR10. Commonality of parts, magazines, ammunition etc etc.

I think more than a single handgun type (calibre/make/model etc) is a little superfluous. I would choose one and stick with that. .45ACP for bear is marginal at best I would imagine but if you want some punch why not just go with a pair of .357SIG chambered sidearms in the model of your choice. Personally I would leave the bear issues to your longarm and choose a single type of 9mm that works for you both.

I hope I am not coming across as condescending or abrupt, so much meaning is lost when delivered in type. I do not intend it that way. If turmoil has come managing multiple calibres, accessories, spare parts, and training/manual of arms will be more critical I believe than a "golf bag" of firearms to choose from.

All good thought provoking questions !!!!

Strigidae and BushcraftKilburn like this.
  6. BushcraftKilburn

BushcraftKilburn Member

You're not condescending or abrupt at all and you make incredibly insightful and legitimate points.

Personally, I have never found a good AR10 platform. Because there is no 'mil spec' all my AR10s have had some issues. In addition, the 308 round in an AR10 platform seems to be reliably limited to 500-800 yards. I've personally never hit past 700 yards in an AR10. I lean more towards AR 5.56/223 wylde since it's what I have been training with and it's relatively easy (and cheap-ish) to find ammo. I also find it a bit easier to reach out to 800+ yards with a steady hand and some significant practice.

However, you're 100% right... do I weigh myself down with reliable multiple arms intended for multiple purposes; or do I try and combine? All valid point, Andy. Multiple optics might be better.

Strigidae likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Not to state the obvious, a hit with a 7.62 round at long range is far better than one with 5.56. A miss with either is a miss. There are a number of AR10 type rifles in military service (out here it included the SR25 for a number of years) and there is no logical reason that you cant get one that will out shoot a similar 5.56 rifle at those kind of ranges. It was this very reason that 7.62 rifles are now much more prevalent with various armed forces who have participated in the recent war games abroad, out here that almost didn't exist in service pre-2001, the exception being the issue SR98 Sniper Rfile. Now both the SR25 has seen broad use and it is rare to see a group of Aussies on deployment that does not have one carrying a H&K 417. The Brits have the L129 and our Kiwi cousins followed suit I believe.

The Long Range Rifle thread here is also some interesting reading for you.

That said, depending on where you live are those ranges the "norm" ? Perhaps splitting the difference with one of the 6.8/6.5 rounds in an AR of some description.

Much will depend in if you have to pack up and move. If so you should streamline and condense, this also makes a case to some degree for 5.56 as the rifles are generally lighter and you can carry/stock more rounds. If not you can have a broader range, you just need the logistics in place to support this as well.

BushcraftKilburn and Strigidae like this.
  8. Rick R

Rick R Member

I’ve taken a few deer without muss, fuss or bother with a 5.56mm AR15, but never had much luck shooting .22lr thru a .224” bore. Jeff Cooper wasn’t wrong to advocate the .308 in the Scout rifle. The thutty thutty isn’t a long range rifle but bush crafting or survival hunting aren’t long range games. The 12ga is versatile but the ammo is heavy. And I like the .22lr as a game getter but not for defense against anything bigger than a bunny. Not a huge fan of the 7.62x39 and it looks to me like a cartridge that could dry up.

In a scenario where the little woman and I were hoofing it I’d plan on both carrying the same calibers and possibly models handguns and rifles. Then I’d add a secondary long gun for game gathering. Something as simple as an H&R single shot shotgun or a 10/22 takedown or an M-6 or a Savage M-24 broken down in or on a backpack.

BushcraftKilburn and IW17 like this.
  9. BushcraftKilburn

BushcraftKilburn Member

I don't disagree with you on any point. However, I know for me a .308 is not very effective in anything outside of a bolt action and the range seems to be astronomically better in a bolt compared to an AR10 setup. Because of that, a smaller projectile for a longer range seems like a fair option.

If it was a true SHTF scenario, however, a .223/5.56 isn't stopping a grizzly that's been flushed out by the populace while a .308 may just do the trick. However, i think in this situation sticking as close to NATO ammunition might be the most beneficial for scavenging useful ammunition.

Agreed. I love the Savage mod 10 scout (old version mid 80s seems the best) in 308. Great open sight and EER optic option. As a secondary game gathering rifle it may work well.

10. Kevo

Kevo Member

Going to play devil's advocate here a bit. I think in a SHTF situation, I'd be more concerned with keeping the pack light for the sake of easier E&E. I'd also most likely try my best to avoid firing a firearm to help avoid detection, which would most likely make long range shooting a no go for me. I'd say for me and my SO, I'd go an identical pair of bolt action rifles, a pair of pistols, and fill up the rest of the space with game traps/snare wire, medical supplies, and gunsmithing parts/tools.

When you think about it, you're much more likely to die in the woods from a broken ankle, infected cut, or hypothermia than you would be from a grizz or hostile bipeds.

IW17 likes this.
  11. IW17

IW17 Member

Beat me to it. Sorry but why would anyone need long range capabilities in a survival scenario? Military and other offensive situations call for snipers. This isn't that. If it's just you and the family, anything that far away isn't enough of a threat to stick around for the fight. It's time to haul ass. Close proximity threats and food procurement are your priorities at this point. You should find platforms that you're both comfortable with. Then you can share ammo, mags, accessories and spare parts.

Reno Lewis, JMick, Kevo and 2 others like this.
  12. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Kind of an interesting thread, I would pick a 12 gauge...or a .22... or 9 mm, don't know! Location would be a big factor. In open country, maybe a scoped rifle. I am not a fan of the Winchester 94 but in certain areas, an 1886 in 45.70 would be the ticket. , or a 92 in .45 Colt, but my Marlin has a better sight on it.

My decision would change from one day to the next. Today, it would be my CZ in 7.62X39.

Kevo, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  13. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

308 AR "pistol" with a 12.5 inch barrel.

Strigidae likes this.
  14. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I don’t know why the .30-30 is always mentioned in threads like this but the marlin 1894, win 92/94, Henry levers and Ruger bolt guns in .357 mag or .44 mag don’t get much mention.

I’ll take 10 rounds of .357 mag in my marlin over 6 30-30 any day. There isn’t much difference out to 150 yards or so. And then there’s the whole carbine/revolver ammo compatibility because that isn’t handy or anything. Just an option to keep in mind.

If I’m leaving home forever I don’t know what I’d pick. ND is flat as a board and mostly treeless. MN is has much more variety but trees and hills reign supreme. I live on the border so the direction I’d go would dictate the guns. For sure my takedown 10-22 is coming because that’s why I bought it. Shotgun or marlin 1894c for MN. .30-06 win model 70 and levergun for ND. And I’m not going too far on foot. That’s a good way to die up here for the cold half of the year. The truck goes or we stay put in town which brings up my last gun option. 20” AR-15 or my AK.

Zeek, IW17, Hammer and 4 others like this.
  15. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Good point, with some skill a pistol cartridge lever action can be operated at the same rate as an AR-15 variant. I have Marlin 94s in .357 and .45 Colt. They are easier and more pleasing to install a peep sight on. Peeps work better for older eyes

Zeek and koolaidnd like this.
  16. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

@koolaidnd im still trying to find someone to trade my 1895SBL for the 44mag version. I love that I could have the same ammo in both a revolver and a carbine.

Zeek and koolaidnd like this.
  17. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Wouldn’t buying a second gun be the best solution. Everybody wins.

Zeek and ManOfSteel like this.
  18. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

A low power scope works really good too. I had a 2x7 leupold on my 1894c for the longest time.

Zeek likes this.
  19. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Why would you prefer the 95 over the 94 in that caliber?

Good point, the scope is defiantly better and more precise especially for older eyes. Actually a suppressed scoped Marlin 94 would be pretty cool.
    But I am old and have a ton of scoped bolt rifles, some suppressed. I like the idea of iron sights and the skinner peep along with a post front sight works well on the Marlin.

I have a custom mini Mauser in 6.5 Grendel suppressed that would be a great medium weight choice.

koolaidnd likes this.
  20. Rick R

Rick R Member

I almost suggested a revolver and carbine duo. I have a Marlin 1894 in .44, matched up with a beltgun there probably isn’t much in this world you couldn’t kill if hard pressed. Pistol ammo is heavy but readily reloaded with minimal tools and really a good WFN load isn’t going to mess up small game too badly but has enough penetration to take big game.

Not much in the way of large predators here in Appalachia, if I wandered farther West I’d probably add my .45-70 Guide Gun

JMick, Zeek, koolaidnd and 1 other person like this.