Favorite Blade of 2018

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Hammer, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Hammer

Hammer Member

One blade only, and tell us why. It might be the blade you used the most, or it might just be the blade that most impressed you for certain applications.

I'll kick it off with mine - a blade that came to me late in 2018 but has quickly risen to the top of the heap. My LT Wright 'Large Northern Hunter.'

Why?
    • For an all-around knife, I think it's the perfect size. Not too big, not too small, and very lightweight and easy to carry for a knife that's 9" OAL.
    • I've always been a fan of the "leaf blade" style and have tried a number of different interpretations of it. So far, this one is my favorite, even over the original Russell/Grohmann design.
    • The blade thickness, at .120" of AEB-L steel, is thick enough to be plenty stout for the standard things I would use a knife for, while still being very "slicey." It's a knife, made for cutting things, not a sharpened pry bar. In short, it does the things I need a knife to do, but doesn't try to be something it's not, and for which better tools probably exist anyway.
    • The ergonomics are excellent. This knife just fits my hand so well, and despite the "Mountain Micarta" texture looking like it might be tough on the hands, it really isn't at all. The grippiness, even when wet, is excellent.
    • It's great in the kitchen, it's great in the woods. It's my knife of 2018.
    [​IMG]
    Other knives that made the short list:
    • Winkler Belt Knife
    • ESEE 3
    • Bradford Guardian 4
    • ESEE PR4

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Hands down the PR4. It’s the knife I keep going back to. I dunno why but it just fits in my hand right. It slices and dices. It’s stout without being a giant blade. It does all of my wood working, carving and butchering needs. I just haven’t found one better yet...

61C2BAFD-DD23-4532-B831-FE55A13F1BD8.jpeg F5494F85-A65B-4EDD-A61F-B6AA648F26D3.jpeg

3. Black5

Black5 Member

Oh, man....this has been my year of knife experimentation, which is the direct fault of everyone on this forum, from the RAT crew on down to the least of you.

Ok...let me think..:confused:

STPNWLF, BlueDogScout and Hammer like this.
  4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Times up, you got to pick one LOL

5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Using Hammers own words, "It's a knife, made for cutting things." This would be mine. It's versatile, briars, brush, wood, steak. I've had a load of fun testing the potential and cutting all sorts of things that wouls seem outlandish to people other than the sort found here. :)

C99c, BlueDogScout and Hammer like this.
  6. Hammer

Hammer Member

That's awesome. And while it may be considered outlandish to use a machete that size for that spectrum of uses from a N. American's point of view, it certainly wouldn't be considered unusual in other parts of the Americas. Nice choice. ;)

C99c likes this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

It will cut... but will it keilllllll!!!! Lol I don’t think that’s how you spell with an accent

Reno Lewis likes this.
  8. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

This is hard. Most used or most enjoyed?

C99c and Hammer like this.
  9. Hammer

Hammer Member

That's up to you. Definite it however you want, but you better have good reasons. :D

C99c likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

tough call.....I like ALL my knives.

i gotta think about this.

11. Hammer

Hammer Member

That's a good problem to have. ;)

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

No surprise here.....the CR2.5 is my companion on EVERY trip.....

honorable mention to the GB6hm..

IMG_8264.jpg

C99c, Bushman5, Strigidae and 2 others like this.
  13. CWB

CWB Member

I'm going to say the Jarrett Fleming Pocket Pal. It has a small cutting edge but you get a full 4-finger grip. Perfect EDC for my use.
    SPECS:
    cpm154
    tapered tang
    .112" thick
    2.5" blade
    6.5" overall

[​IMG]

Runner-up would be the Blind Horse Ranger. Excellent full handle with a wonderful small carving scandi grind. This knife is just fun to do basic carving. If you're a trap guy or a whittler, this blade if damn near perfect.
    SPECS:
    12c27
    full tang
    .093" thick
    3.0" blade
    8.5" overall

[​IMG]

C99c, Bushman5, martin_j001 and 3 others like this.
  14. Black5

Black5 Member

Ok..ok...

The main contestants:
    6hm
    4hm
    Libertariat
    Izula II

The winner, in first place:

4hm

It's Patrick's fault. I watched other people with big honking blades at work. Then I watched Patrick doing 90% of the chores with a 4 inch blade.
    The hm balances better for me, including the 6hm and the GB6hm, but the 4 feels more practical. I tend to drift toward snubnosed revolvers, compact semi-autos, and even folding knives with 3-4 inch blades.

Mid size feels best to me, even though I use different sized blades.

The real run off for 2nd place was between the Izzy 2 and libertariat for how much I use them.

What sealed the win was looking at my travel backpack. The 4hm goes everywhere with me. So does Izzy 2, but the 4 is mounted to the outside of the pack for easy access. That's what made me realize my choice. While I use other knives, and some I am very fond of, and some I will reach for before the 4hm, it was the epiphany that the 4 is like a security blanket for me. I know I can depend on it, so it is in a special place.

Yes, boys, I have issues.:(

IMG_20181025_214854909.jpg

CWB, martin_j001, Strigidae and 2 others like this.
  15. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

No question in my mind about this one.

My favorite blade of 2018 (and now into 2019) is the Mora Garberg. Carbon is my favorite, stainless in my rescue pack.

I've been carrying and using my Garberg (stainless, leather) professionally since the beginning of 2018. I've had it with me in some of the most remote and wild places imaginable, and I have trusted it as my primary fixed blade in any and all conditions I come across. From uninhabited islands on the Pacific, to the soaking wet old growth and up through the sub-alpine forests, it hasn't let me down. While not as pretty, it either performs on par with, or surpasses many more expensive blades I've owned in the same category, while being no small amount cheaper and easier to source. With all things considered, I truly believe the Garberg might just be an ideal working knife for my needs in the woods.

At least, it's as close to my ideal bush knife as I've found so far. Subject to change, of course.

Taking into account some of the most important things I look for, it meets or exceeds my expectations.

Things such as (but not limited to):
    • Overall build quality (Mora has never disappointed on this front).
    • Durability (during repeated harder tasks over time such as splitting kindling, cross batonning notches etc).
    • Comfort during extended use (carving, fire prep, food prep).
    • Edge holding (maintains a great working edge for a long period).
    • Length of time needed to resharpen (very quick and easy, both in the field on extended stays as well as at home).
    • Sheath quality and comfort/ease of carry (for a fixed blade, the sheath can make or break an otherwise great knife for me, this one is among the best).
    • Cost and availability (easily sourced, and relatively speaking, very cheap for what you're getting).
    • And as a bonus, a longstanding history and reputation for making outstanding knives.

All in all, for around $120 CAD, you're getting a whole heap of knife for the money. The leather sheath it includes is exceedingly high quality as well. A basic wet form and some Sno-Seal for the sheath, and a few minutes on the stones is all it takes to make a Garberg shine.

And that's virtually nothing compared to what I've had to do to some other "higher end" blades to get to to the same level (fit and finish wise, sheath wise etc).

I've had a large number of high end bushcraft knives through my hands over the years (Skookum Bush Tools, Adventure Sworn, LT Wright etc) used all of them, and a few stuck around, most didn't. But I did form an idea of what's out there.

And the Garberg is my favorite.

It's not pretty, it's not an heirloom piece, it just works and it works well.

Here's my stainless Garberg earlier this year, before most of the carry it's seen so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's my carbon version just last night, helping me make a simple buck saw (used the knife and my Laplander for most of the work). Details HERE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honorable mentions (they're just in a different category, still some of my top blades).

Spyderco Para 2.
    Vic Farmer.
    Winkler Belt Knife.
    Spartan Difensa.
    Weimy FS1.
    Pasi Hurtilla Tuohisarvi.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Bruno_GO, CWB, C99c and 3 others like this.
  16. IW17

IW17 Member

Fixed blade. Carothers edc2. It's just a badass little blade. The ergonomics are spot on, the sheath is fantastic, and the steel ticks all the boxes.

Folder: Pm2 with micarta scales. This has been in my pocket for the last 4 years or so. It just can't be outdone. Especially with the scale replacement.

CWB, C99c and martin_j001 like this.
  17. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

My favortie fixed blade of all time it´s the Laser Strike and that´s it. Ergonomics, sheath, badassery, blade shape...everything.

If the discussion change for folders...I don´t know YET.

C99c, martin_j001 and BlueDogScout like this.
  18. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Favorite blade of 2018 is the JG3 by use. Its seen more use out and about than all of my knives.

Favorite folder is always a SAK of some sort.

19. Kevo

Kevo Member

This is a tough one for me to pin down. favorite fixed blade to fiddle with, probably one of my izulas. Most used/satisfying fixed blade, my Wusthof crafter 6" chef. Favorite all-arounder is probably my benchmade mini grip.

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Fixed Blade: no idea yet.

Folder: Cold Steel Colossus (currently prepping food in @Klynesquatch's kitchen) - A big prehistoric looking handle and a massive leaf blade.

20181007_160522.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    CWB and martin_j001 like this.