etching

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by bladesmith3, Nov 29, 2016.

1. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Member

i am not sure where to post these questions? I tried searching for the answers without success. I see that many of you have really deep etched logos on the blades. I have been using ferric chloride etchant and it works ok, but, no matter how long I soak the blade or how often I change the etchant and scrub the logo while it is soaking...
    I cannot get the effect that you guys do. so? is there something better to use? is there some trick that I do not understand? thanks in advance.

2. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

3. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Check in the DIY thread. That is where 91Bravo had his etching thread on the old forum.

I have used the Radio Shack etchant solution to both get a great etch and to mess up a couple of blades. Time and temperature matter with that stuff. Since the solution eats the exposed steel, you need to be aware that as it eats its way down it will also start eating out as well. That results in a loss of definition and can even start to blur the thing you are etching. The words become unreadable, the tail on the Candiru logo becomes one wide one instead of being two thin lines in the steel.

The longer you leave it, the more it eats. Duh, right? But it eats faster in warmer temperatures. So the killer etch you got in 6 hours at 50 degrees becomes a blurry pit in 6 hours at 75 degrees.

4. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Member

thank you for the answers. I was doing this in a cold Colorado garage. next time I will do it in the house.