Esee edges and sharpening advice

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by nathan shepherd, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

I always put a voice to what one has written. The way I read your posts now has dramatically changed.

2. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

That's brown compound.

3. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

It doesn't matter what color compound you put on, after stropping for a while, it will turn black!

nathan shepherd and ManOfSteel like this.
  4. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Member

I need to get a bigger strop. I have one of Flex's field strops but would like to get one of the bigger ones

5. JAD

JAD Member

Once you go to a larger strop it is really hard to go back. I like the long sweeping passes I get from my Rudis. Big strops are also so much better for use with large knives, Junglas and my 6.

JMJ and Stormstaff like this.
  6. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Member

I tried to strop my 6 on my field strop and ended up giving up and just sent the knife to Bravo for sharpening, hehe

The big strops are just so darn expensive though

7. Simple Man

Simple Man Member

This what you are looking for?

BM 710 008.JPG ESEE 5 User 015 M.jpg ESEE RC-4 User 004.jpg BM Adamas Polished 011.JPG BM Adamas Polished 012.JPG ZT 0566 BW 007.JPG

KnOeFz, Not Sure and eastwa like this.
  8. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

9. DiverLiam

DiverLiam Member

Can't hand sharpen, so I have a Worksharp Ken Onion and some 3M trizact belts, and I can work it just fine. Will Esee's 1095 take a 15 degree (each side) edge ok without chipping or bending?

nathan shepherd likes this.
  10. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Yes.

11. DiverLiam

DiverLiam Member

Cool, thanks mate.

12. Ausher

Ausher Member

I'm having a hard time sharpening my izula. It just won't get sharp. Not even to cut paper. My 6 sharpened easy. The izula. When it was new I used it till I needed sharpening. I tried sharpening by hand with a stone, but couldn't get it sharpened so I quit using it till I tried sharpening it recently with this sharpening system I got off eBay that clamps the knife and can adjust the angle of the stone to the blade. Still can't get it sharpened. I wonder if it just has a bad heat treat. 1210161656_HDR.jpg g

13. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Send it to me I'll sharpen it and send it back, it's not a bravo edge but will cut paper.

Ausher likes this.
  14. Theodore

Theodore Member

Between use and hand sharpening the angle is probably steeper. You may have never actually gotten to the "edge", and just knocked down the "shoulder" right up to the "edge".
    Try using a sharpie to color the cutting edge. Then you can see what is happening when you try and sharpen it.
    "Air quote"

Ausher and Strigidae like this.
  15. Simple Man

Simple Man Member

PM Sent Ausher

Ausher likes this.
  16. Ausher

Ausher Member

Ok I tried sharpening it again. I used 180-320-600-1500 stones. Finishing with the 1500. The angle is the same as I used on the esee 6. Can't really go any lower on the angle without hitting the wing nut. It's a little sharper. Will roughly cut paper. On the last pass on the 2nd side with the 1500 I flip the knife back over to hit the edge on the 1st side with the 1500 again to knock off any bur that may have rolled over.

1210161833a_HDR.jpg
    1210161833_HDR.jpg

Giungla likes this.
  17. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

If you are not generating a burr on the opposite side you aren't getting to the edge. The most important thing is maintaining a consistent angle. I used to do well with freehand sharpening, but lost my touch and went to a guided system like the Lansky. After joining the forum I felt challenged to get back to freehand. I think I discovered what my problem was. I think I lost me touch when I went from standing up while sharpening to sitting while sharpening. While standing I was able to move and maintain my angle while sitting forced me to move different and so my angles were inconsistent and thus the blade didn't get sharp. Once I started giving myself more room to stroke the blade on the stone and then the strop I was able to get much of my mojo back. I am still not up to the standards of 91Bravo (may he have success in whatever he does) or probably even Slade and some of the other master sharpeners on here, I am pleased with my progress.

Mountain Mike and Ausher like this.
  18. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

@Ausher shoot me a PM if you want it done. I've been sharpening for locals and a couple people on the old forum for a while now. I do everything on DMT diamond stones and Flex Strops. I'll do this one if you cover shipping here and back.

IMG_0559.JPG

Ausher likes this.
  19. Ausher

Ausher Member

I'm going to keep trying until it's sharp or there's nothing left of the blade. I think it's getting there. Don't know why it's harder than the 6.
    Thanks to those who offer to do it for me, but how am I suppose to learn to do it myself if others do it for me.

C99c and ManOfSteel like this.
  20. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

You're supposed to use the button head screw for the clamp. I have the same sharpener and it works well. The adhesive holding the stones on the backer wasn't worth a damn and they fell off. A little liquid nails fixed that.
    [​IMG]

C99c, Ausher and ManOfSteel like this.