ESEE Audit-- Need your feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shaneadams90, Jan 23, 2023.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Folks we appreciate the feedback and are reading them all word for word... Rather than responding to each I really just want to soak it all in and not steer the conversation. Thank you all and please continue to let us hear from you.

many thanks
    Shane

2. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

There’s a lot that is being done right. Y’all probably have a good idea of what those things are already (and some have been stated here).

Critique was asked for though, but it seems the few things that I thought of off the top of my head have already been spoken about.

Yeah, production delays. I get it as to the why too, but once something is shown...folks want it. I feel like the move with the libertariat was a good one though. Good to see it in county, but spreading out production.

New innovation as far as product line goes. Yeah the production delays get in the way of this a bit. But the Pinhotie was cool and different. I feel like the closest thing to different before that was the fixed Xancudo. But yeah, trying a few new things and see what sticks (maybe with limited runs to see how things hit the market).

Dressing up what’s old hat. As stated, folks already have their favorite models, give them a reason to grab another. S35 on the 3 was a step in that direction. Different steels, different scale materials, different blade grinds, etc. This is something Spyderco seems to do extremely well...the amount of Para2’s a lot of folks have borders on ridiculous. And it all comes down to same models but different. Y’all have your top selling models, from there, just make them “pop”.

Collabs. Yeah logistically this could be a little nuts, but if nothing else it’s more name recognition out there. For knives this is fine, but soft goods and other items may be the ticket for this one.

Well those are my thoughts....and worth about as much as you paid for ‘em. :D

3. shaneadams90

4. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

For sure. Lord knows y’all are busy as is. It says a lot though, asking for critique to make better. :cool:

5. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

All good stuff guys, keep it coming. As far as remote training, it's always a possibility as long as there is enough property to have the class on and enough people interested in attending. Private property is ideal to avoid having to get special use permits etc. @RocketmanDane I like the idea of the five day survival class, we haven't done that in a while. The last two had very low attendance but it may be time to try it again.

6. shaneadams90

Caleb you know us well...we are always looking for ways to improve. We all feel that our class offerings have gotten a bit stagnant and are working to address that... Same goes for our knives.

We ARE on the go quite a bit and sometimes we need OUR folks to slap us back in line. An attitude check and a bit of a company audit and this place is as good as any in that respect. Thanks for the input.

7. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

Stick with that replacement warranty, most people don't believe me when I tell them about it, nobody I know has used it either. I can tell you it has lots to do with the good resale value of ESEE knives on the secondary market, gives people confidence new or used.
    I think more small EDC type fixed blade options, that Adventurecraft of Jacobs is a handy little knife, I think that's a coming trend, small fixed blades for EDC. I use plier pockets on my bibs to carry, you could most likely sell me all kinds of things if they carry easy in my pliers pockets.
    Figure out how I can carry that Pinch in my pocket, neat little fridge magnet but I never could dial in a carry method that worked out, neck carry was rough, couldn't do it long enough to get the callouses.
    But most of all just keep being the real people you are!

8. Willow

Willow Member

Don't forget that ya'll have a resident gear maker here in Central Alabama if ya'll are needing something sewn or maybe help with a design tweak. Both Darryl and James have my gear along with several members. I just wish I was closer to the farm. I do have 10 swampy acres of woodland and possible access to 40-80 more acres of adjacent land that will test even the most experienced navigator. Right now is the wet season so there is a lot of standing water anywhere from 6" to 3 ft. It's pretty brutal trying to drag anything out as there are cypress stumps and deep old tree holes just below the surface. So if you're looking for a challenging area come see me. Darryl and I did a plant walk through several years ago during the dry season but he probably doesn't remember that....Lol. The swamp is waiting.

9. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

10. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I understand about the private land, and I may have asked this before, but can’t recall, but how much land would you need? Or does it more pertain to terrain/features? I ask because I have a lovely 120 acre farm in Massachusetts.

Dagwood, Bushman5, C99c and 2 others like this.
  11. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

That is plenty for most of the stuff we do as long as there is a decent amount of woods. Email me at patrick@jungletraining.com if you have any other questions or are interested.

12. shaneadams90

That took WAY LONGER than expected... lol... I've not given up hope on the Izula Folder

13. shaneadams90

Terrain features and water ALWAYS help...

14. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

Personally, I'd just like to see some type of quality American made edc folder from esee. I liked the Medellin, but it could have been done better, and I always prefer American. Beyond that, just get a handle on the production side of things and follow through on your "coming soon" list.

15. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

And don't forget who y'all are. The company and the people are great and you put out a great product. No complaints about anything I've received from esee or the people I've conversed with on here.

Stray Round, shaneadams90 and TerryD like this.
  16. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

More class! That is more classes.

17. shaneadams90

you really can't class this bunch up at all...like putting lipstick on a pig! lol...

18. TerryD

TerryD Member

What have you heard....... o_O

19. C99c

C99c Member

I liked the idea of the class y'all did in Eastridge, Tn for motorcyle, atv, etc riders. I would have rode up if I had known about it more than a day in advance. (Was it mentioned here?)

Those kind of classes are more what interest me. How about one for trailrunners who do a lot of mileage and aren't going to bring a lot of gear. The bushcraft stuff is fun to play with and has a lot of crossover into other activities I do, but I'd like to see something for those folks who aren't going to carry a fixed blade, three ways to make fire, etc but spend a lot more time outdoors than most bushcrafters do.

You mentioned on the latest podcast the idea of taking the Field Survival class with a broken (esee warranty ) knife or one that you picked up from a convenience store, hardware store, etc on the way. That covers way more of the folks that I hang out with. So how about a class or classes that focus on using the gear that modern folks walk around with or take with them into the woods, versus fixed blade/compass/etc.

To close, I really had to think about your question before coming up with the above which means, at least in my eyes, y'all are still doing the right things and doing them right. I don't fault anyone these days for supply chain issues or production issues related to labor or parts. My employer sources parts from over thirty countries the last time I looked and can't find enough people to pay $20/hour to hold down a chair.

20. shaneadams90

Thanks for the feedback. I put the word out on social media but never posted it here. It never occurred to me and that was my mistake. I've also done similar classes when I owned the bike shop...improvised survival using what you have on hand.

Jason and I are still discussing doing FS with a broken knife or a gas station blade...not sure yet. I kinda like the idea of grabbing a broken blade and trying to "fix it" in the field..

thanks agin for taking the time to answer.