Esee AGK Ashley Game Knife Thread

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by W.Jester, Aug 30, 2019.

1. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

2. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

3. Scablands Scavenger

Scablands Scavenger Member

Joining this forum has not been a good influence on me.... says my bank account!.....awaiting delivery ha ha.

Stray Round, erik and longbow2240 like this.
  4. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

Waiting to pick up a S35vn AGK, that stuff cuts like a chainsaw and keeps cutting.

I'm interested in seeing how the blade shape works for everyday tasks.

5. Scablands Scavenger

Been looking at the AGK for quite some time. Did not realize how large a knife it was.... for some reason I thought it was just a little larger than the CR 2.5. Should make a great field knife. Thought I would post a pick with some others for size comparison.
    IMG_20221011_134237019_MP.jpg

6. WCT

WCT Member

Any time with the AGK yet? Thoughts?

7. Scablands Scavenger

Just a little woodcraft/fire making. Have not used it on game yet. Been after small game mostly this year and have been running an ultralight fixed blade (Smith Sons Shoal).

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. WCT

WCT Member

Nice. I got an older Gerber Pixie awhile back that is great on small game. It’s real thin & has some nice flex to it. It’s actually good for skinning & deboning large game as well. Those little blades go a long way.
    I used the Xancudo to process some rabbits earlier in the season. It’s great for small animals, but for field dressing large game I like to have more handle. I finally caved & got an AGK this week, pretty much for that reason. I won’t be able to try it out until next season, but I immediately felt how purpose-built this knife is. That’s obvious given its name, but regardless it’s clear a lot of thought and experience went into this design.

9. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

I'd like for Gerber to reintroduce the Pixie!...and pretty much drop everything else.

Waiting to find a S35 AGK, the Xancudo with its steel has spoiled me. That thing just keeps cutting and holding a shaving edge.

10. WCT

WCT Member

B1174406-ABAC-4454-B283-5A7EDC833B18.jpeg E6E03725-BF7C-4080-B0BA-3B983CB013FC.jpeg
    Just realized how similar the AGK is to this Marbles design, even in thickness, though the Marbles is 3/16”. I always think it’s cool when you see similar purposeful designs appear independently. Makes it clear there’s something to it. I have to say though, the AGK feels better in hand and has subtle differences that I think would make it more pleasant to use.

11. WCT

WCT Member

I agree. I also love the Shorty. The only thing about those M2 blades that sucks is how hard it is to sharpen them. I’d love to see a reintroduction in a different steel, though it’ll never happen.

I hear you with the s35vn - Xancudo is a great blade. I have the 3 in s35 as well, and I’m always surprised how sharp it still is. I’d been eyeing the AGK for a few years, and I decided not to wait any longer for the s35. 1095 at least is a pleasure to sharpen & great for tough tasks.

12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thats is an amazing comparison. Its neat to see how a certain design remains stable for a certain set of uses.

13. WCT

WCT Member

Looks like the AGK in s35vn is finally up for sale on tkc. Anyone springing for one?

Stray Round likes this.
  14. olywa

olywa Member

Surprised there hasn't been more response. I just ordered one today, and I opted for the Micarta handles.

15. WCT

WCT Member

So am I. Given the delay on this blade, I thought it would get more discussion. Perhaps once hunting season starts people will chime in. This is a niche design, which I don’t think carries over to different tasks as well as others. I got a 1095 version back in Dec, and I haven’t had a chance to use it on game yet. In my limited experience handling the knife and using it for non-game-processing tasks, I think this blade shines specifically where hunting is part of the overall equation. If I’m just going camping, cooking, looking for a edc or survival knife, there are better options. If I’m hunting in the backcountry and I specifically want a field knife that will also serve for camp-kitchen and is strong enough to stand in as a survival tool should something unfortunate happen, I don’t think you could come up with a better blade than this. It’s wicked strong without being unreasonably heavy. But most people don’t hunt, and most hunters don’t do so in the backcountry. I haven’t hunted hogs, but I understand it lends itself well to this (again specific/niche) task.

Also I think the price point for the s35vn version is steep, especially when considering that I already own the 1095 one, and in either case will only realistically use it at most a few times per year. Obviously that’s subjective, I can’t speak for others, but that’s my take. Let us know what you think, I favor the micarta as well - nice choice.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  16. erik

erik Member

you pretty much nailed why I haven't ordered the S35 version.
    I have the 1095, it does fine on the 1-3 whitetail I process each year.
    I was very interested in the S35 version, but that was before supply chain issues drove all the prices up.
    At this point, I'm waiting for someone with the S35 version to decide it's not their cuppa and sell it at a more reasonable price (or trade for something I have that's not getting used)

The Marsh Gorilla and WCT like this.
  17. olywa

olywa Member

Even though I don't hunt other than birds anymore, I've got a soft spot for short, purposeful blades with plenty of ergonomically sound handle to back them up. Plus my 3 and Xancudo in S35 have shown me what ESEE can do with S35 and I've been impressed. Now if they'd just do the 3HM in S35 I could sell 75% of my fixed blades.

Danny D, erik and WCT like this.
  18. WCT

WCT Member

Well stated and agreed.

19. olywa

olywa Member

I received my S35 AGK today and it's another good example of how well ESEE builds their S35 variants. I like the palm swell on the Micarta handles, just great ergos overall. It has a nice even grind, arrived shaving sharp, and the kydex sheath has great fit and positive retention. Though it's a stout little bugger, it still thins out fairly well down to the edge.

Even though designed as a game knife, I think it will also serve well as a general purpose camp knife. I'm thinking I'll put it on the molle front of my HPG Kit Bag. It seems like an eager little cutter and I look forward to using it.

20. WCT

WCT Member

Those s35 blades they make really are nice.
    My understanding is the micarta on the agk is the same as the micarta on the pr4/jg5/axe, is that correct (assuming you have any of those to compare)? If I could buy the scales only I’d totally grab some, they look pretty sweet.