Esee 6HM

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Wildbill247365, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Mark

Mark Member

Thanks for the Pic's guy's....Still waitin on mine in So. Illinois!

2. Mark

Mark Member

3. msu7.62

msu7.62 Member

IMG_0575.JPG

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  4. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Now I'm jealous, thanks for posting. Could you possibly provide a better picture of the sheath. And possibly comparison next to standard 6?

5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thoughts and impressions gentlemen?

Theodore likes this.
  6. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

IMG_5337.JPG IMG_5335.JPG
    Sheath kind of reminds me of the old buck knife sheaths. Like the 119 or pathfinder

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

How does the handle compare to the regular 6? Does it fill the hand well? Comfortable? I think I'm going to order one and wet form the sheath.

Theodore likes this.
  8. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Thanks Trailmaster

Trailmaster, Theodore and Strigidae like this.
  9. Woodguy

Woodguy Member

6hm just got here boys...great feel to it.
    The rounded handles are excellent!
    Fits my paws just fine..
    Scored No.0010 too...WooHoo!

Trailmaster, Zeek, Theodore and 2 others like this.
  10. erik

erik Member

thanks for the comparison pic!
    I definitely "need" one of these.

Trailmaster likes this.
  11. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

Haven't done a lot with it today. It feels great in the hand and very comfortable though. Easy to do fine tasks with and such. My only complaint is about the sheath. I wet formed mine today and the sheath is cut about 1/2" , maybe a little longer than the blade. I'm not sure if its supposed to be that way or not. It just seems to me to be a little too l0ng though. I'll try and play more tomorrow. I'm curious if anyone else's sheath is that way though.

Strigidae likes this.
  12. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

Sweet! Mine is on the way... If anyone gets number 311, I'd love to get my hands on it, VMA 311 was my squadron in the Marines.

Until my 6HM comes in, I'l just pass some time making mini fatwood fuzz sticks with my 4HM
    [​IMG]

13. msu7.62

msu7.62 Member

I love the 6hm. I really don't care for the sheath, and I usually like leather. I guess it will be going to get some kydex.

14. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Strigidae, Zeek and Allen Morrison like this.
  15. Stone

Stone Member

My RB3 now wears kydex. It's just more functional.

Its stock leather sheath hangs on my wall as an art project.

Zeek likes this.
  16. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

I am a fan of leather- and kydex. I don't particularly like black sheaths much, and the bold "esee" isn't my favorite either. I ordered a TKC #16 sheath with mine, I have a JRE that my 4hm rides in, and I think the #16 is just a bigger version of that... the leather vs kydex is a bit like bushcraft vs survival or Canterbury vs Lunden...

Trailmaster and Stone like this.
  17. Stone

Stone Member

^ Well said, MMBP. I much agree re leather vs kydex; fine metaphor ^ there. Both have their place in my mind, heart and kit. I really like the leather sheath for the RB3. It's well designed in a traditional scandi sheath tradition, well-made and very capable. It cradles the knife with excellent retention, and with some treatment gets flexible yet still great retention.

My problem with it is that I'm just no longer a knife-on-belt guy. My OWB holster rides over there, and to get to the knife under my <choose one or more> shirt tail, vest, parka, coat .., I have to expose the holster. Plus it's just a hassle to have to lift all that stuff every time I need the knife -- which is a lot (I do a lot of carving, limb-trimming, etc).

For a while, I carried it in the leather sheath stuck down in my side tool pocket on my trousers (mostly Carhartt, all with that tool pocket on both sides which have EDC designated tools). I tethered it to my belt with a makeshift dangler of paracord and a key-ring-sized 'biner.

Then @anrkst6973 (kindly -- thanks!!!) passed along a kydex sheath that he had for it (I'll post picks eventually, but not in this thread) and liked, but not quite enough (I think I know why now) which is why he's having a different kydex sheath made for it. It's half the bulk of the leather one, much shorter, and allows easier one-handed extraction of knife from sheath. (The leather one is a two handed affair for me when the sheath isn't secured to my belt.)

But for those (perhaps in warmer climes) who prefer belt carry, the stock leather sheath probably can't be beat (by any but the finest leather craftspeople).

mmbackpacker and Trailmaster like this.
  18. rileybassman

rileybassman Member

Alirighty - got mine it today... I'll give some impressions and pics :)

First impression - worth the wait! I love it :)

It feel quite a bit more "nimble" in the hand then the standard 6... I would be more apt to carry it hunting/bushcrafting for sure. Feel like the Izula 2 grew up... more like an "izula 6" if that makes sense.

[​IMG][/URL]

Here is a comparison with my current stable... from top to bottom:
    Izula II, BRKT rising wolf, BRKT Gunny, Mora Companion, Mora Bushcraft Black, BRKT Bravo 1.25 LT, ESEE 6 HM
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Handle profiles minus the companion as it would not sit on it's back...
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Grip profile compared to the bravo 1.25 LT
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Grip profile compared to Mora bushcraft Black
    [​IMG][/URL]

Two of my gripping concerns from the pics that I want to address... I was slightly concerned that the "gap" in-between the index and the blade would feel odd, or unstable... but it actually feels quite natural, and stable... so no worry there.
    [​IMG][/URL]

Second... I was worried with the handle terminating before the blade, that it would be uncomfortable to grip up to the blade... on the contrary... it is actually easy and very comfortable and controllable to get right on the edge... and safe
    [​IMG][/URL]

Reverse grip is very comfy/controllable
    [​IMG][/URL]

Bonus - I LOVE a pinch grip on this blade... very comfy and controllable... this makes it much more capable at small and large game cleaning in my opinion.
    [​IMG][/URL]

Over all, very happy with it.... makes me want a 4HM now :)

In comparing to my other knives in the pic... I feel the handle is the closest to the bushcraft black... minus the finger choil and slight contouring on the bushcraft... make the bushcraft handle flat,. without finger choil, and it would be similar... same lengths/thickness/profile.

As to the sheath... I actually quite like it... I will wet form, but it is in the same league quality wise, and slighlty better/thicker then the sharpshooters. Whoever compared it to the older buck black leather sheaths is spot on... very similar to my old buck's sheath... in the thickness and hardness department.

overall - I would give the ESEE 6 a 7/10 when I had it... I would give the ESEE 6 HM a 9-9.5/10 as far as intended purpose as a bushcraft/survival blade.

19. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for your thoughts and time!! Well done!!! Looks like a fantastic knife!!!

Zeek likes this.
  20. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Again thanks for pics/impressions, love the bonus pinch grip pic. I use that grip on standard ESEE 6 when skinning hog's. Also appreciate the spine shot pic.

Strigidae likes this.