Eberlestock indiTAK pouch

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Bushman5, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

This is my review on the just released Eberlestock indiTAK medical pouch.

(specs on the website.)

Its a larger IFAK pouch, designed to be torn away from the base via Velcro. This is the reason i bought it. The pouch holds two TQ's on two outside pockets. These pockets are also supposed to be able to hold 5.56 mags....but I have a hard time believing that. I had to fight to get a CAT-T into the slots. There is 1/4" flat webbing on the outside of the pouch, in various spots. Also on each side of the pouch is 1/8" shock cord....but it really serves no purpose unless you yourself add a cord lock to it.

[​IMG]

the interior of the pouch is well laid out and spacious. Holds a ton of trauma kit. Easily holds three (3) Israeli Bandages, 6" is the largest you want to load in. 4" Izzy's are better. I loaded in two (2) Israeli Bandages and a roll of duct and medical tape. On the lid is stretch webbing,i put 4 pairs nitrile gloves there. Behind that webbing is a slot that holds gauze dressings and QuikClot sponges very nicely.

[​IMG]

the top of the pouch has a Fastex style buckle that secures the pouch to the base. Its fast to release, press and tear off the pouch. You can see the cord lock i added here. Later on i will get some flat style cord locks. The zipper pulls are classic Eberlestock pulls. Easy to use even with gloved fingers or cold frozen fingers.

[​IMG]

front of the pouch has 1/4" flat webbing and a Velcro panel. You can see the two side TQ (or "mag" ) slots on the sides

[​IMG]

Mounting.

Shown here on my HalfTrak.

[​IMG]

normally i wear this on my belt. Its pretty big actually on the body....but like having ample supplies. Its annoying to wear in the truck, makes putting on the seat-belt hard. I'd almost prefer a drop leg setup over this indiTAK pouch...........

more photos loading .......i will get into the mounting panel, the new webbing lacing Eberlestock has designed

the base panel.:

covered in velcro on the pouch side, and webbing on the mounting side. Eberlestock has a new "lacing" webbing design to mount the pouch base to a molle/pals grid. It is a fricking nightmare to mount it to a pack or vest or chest rig grid. Expect to take about 10-15 minutes to get it mounted. And even after mounting........it flops around like Ol MaryJaneRottenCrotch in bed.
    Now perhaps i'm lacing it wrong......but I literally spent 6 hours playing around with the straps, trying to get the pouch to stay on the pack. I finally decided on a way that works, but it is NOT as secure as Malice clips or 5.11's style of mounting. (one of the best in my opinion)

the straps

[​IMG]

rigid plastic on top. This prevents the strap from bending at all.

[​IMG]

end of the main strap also has plastic inserts

[​IMG]

there is a second strap on the main strap

[​IMG]

the back of the mounting panel. To start the mounting procedure, you lace the main strap thru the first loop

[​IMG]

then thru the second loop

[​IMG]

now bring the second strap on the main strap thru. The sewn termination keeps the entire assembly from pulling thru.

[​IMG]

now fold the main strap with the plastic insert back up , over the secondary strap, and thru the webbing matrice. This is necessary to do or the pouch frickking falls off the pack or vest with the slightest pull or snag

[​IMG]

seriously Eberlestock....this is your best way of mounting this pouch???? this is a ******* nightmare to mount on pals/molle grids and it is not secure. You can see the top right of the photo , that is where my waist belt threads thru. When mounted on a pack or vest, its literally held on by only 2 rows of webbing, leaving over 3/4's of the pouch not attached. The pouch flops around. Its a nightmare to try to weave these straps thru a molle/pals grid on a pack or vest.

[​IMG]

overall impressions:

I like the main pouch. The two (2) shock-cords are useless unless you add a cord lock. Its a well sewn pouch. Great organization. The tear off feature is great. The base panel is ok, not great. The lacing straps are not well designed. The zipper and zipper pulls are top notch. The idea of using an IFAK pouch to also hold weapons mags is retarded < it should be a dedicated pouch used for one and only one purpose - LIFE SUPPORT. Also there is no grab handle on top......its a much needed feature.

I'm also tired of nylon gear MFG's needing to put molle/pals webbing on the outside of every pouch, without putting thought into wether it is useful or not. There is a picture on the web of a soldier funning around, he put like pouch on pouch on pouch on pouch on his vest and backpack..........funny, but its retarded.

Sorry Eberlestock, I love your gear, the HalfTrak Pack is the greatest pack ever, so much so it had its own thread on the old Esee Forum that spawned over 100 pages of happy owners and 90,000+ views. < that made a lot of sales for you. But you could have made the mounting system straps better with this indiTAK pouch.......the pouch is fine, BUT the base panel mounting straps and the shock-cord attachments and the molle/pals matrice need MUCH improvement.

I don't sugar coat things. I speak my mind. I bought this pouch with my own money, and immediately realized it could be improved on. That being said, i will keep using the pouch, because it does serve me for my needs. I may at some point just cut off the mounting straps and just use Malice clips .

also....this pouch has been out for a couple of months......and yet there is ZERO, repeat ZERO YouTube reviews...that is unusual for an Eberlestock item......even MilSpecMonkey hasn't reviewed this

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Ok revisiting this after a local army grunt gave me a tip on how to perhaps weave the straps better when mounting on a pals/molle grid matrice.

weave the main strap straight thru both the panel and the pack grids, then take the tail end with the long plastic insert, flip back up and back thru the grid. This will lock it into place. This however leaves the second short strap with nothing to do. Seems it was simply meant for locking the main strap when used in a belt loop configuration.

so now the pouch base panel actually locks onto a pack or vest quite securely. Still, in my opinion, a pain in the azz.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Switchblade likes this.
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Great review, I saw this on their site. Looks a lot bigger than I thought! I might go a smaller route. I like the TQ storage but the main pouch seems too large for my simple kit.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yeah its pretty big.