Dropping Cheaha

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Guyon, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Guyon

Guyon Member

Friday, I headed down to Alabama and rappelled with a friend a couple of bluffs in Cheaha State Park, which has the highest point in the state.

The first pitch had two drops, a short bump down to a landing, where I set a change of direction to rappel a longer bluff. All told, it was about 110'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also rigged and rappelled a similar two-drop bluff that was around 160' total.

[​IMG]

There's an even better bluff that poses more of a rigging problem. We didn't have time to tackle it, but maybe next time...

Bushman5 and C99c like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

aw man if it was torrential rain today i would get out there and get back on rope......

love the fall colors

is that 9MM line static or dynamic?

3. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Cheaha's a great place. Not a lot of water there though even when we are not in drought. Wendy and I have hiked a lot of the Pinhoti around Cheaha.

4. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Guyon, meant to tell you that Sterling is introducing a new rope. 7/16" static line they're calling the WorkPro. Nylon core with a 32 carrier polyester sheath. 8100 pound MBS. Suppose to be really resistant to abrasion and sort of splitting the load between the sheath and core instead of just the core - and not quite as static as the HTP. When they come out with it in an 8mm or 9mm I will try it out. Seems like it would be a good canyon rope. Not sure I can find anything so far to beat that 9mm HTP like you're using in your pics.

Guyon likes this.
  5. Guyon

Guyon Member

Static.