Drive 75 miles just to have a campfire in the rain?

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

well of course! why not? good long drive, get the diesel working hard, laugh at the Albertan and Saskatchewan drivers that can't drive the windy twisty Sea To Sky HWY 99, marvel at all the rain, damn thats a lot of rain.....

So after sleeping in until noon today, and waking up to the gnomes and their damn jackhammers pounding my noggin after last nights couple cases of local Whistler IPA's, Lagers & Ales, I fed the two cats and made coffee.

Threw some gear into the Jeep and hit the Hwy.

The rain was insane........normally a guy can drive at 100 KM's / Hour on the Sea To Sky, but it was raining so hard traffic was crawling at around 30 KM/ Hour.

Finally got to Squamish , booted up the Squamish Valley FSR and hit up my little camping spot there....

rain . the freaking rain .

IMGP6332.JPG

road flooded

IMGP6330.JPG

wheeeee!!

IMGP6329.JPG

not one bear but PLURAL...many bears according to the Rec Site attendant . They are not in hibernation yet.
    IMGP6333.JPG

the recent river blowout did some damage thru the camp

IMGP6334.JPG

IMGP6335.JPG

calmer river

IMGP6336.JPG

good luck using the ol moss on the tree to find your way......round here it grows completely around the tree and then some.

IMGP6337.JPG

up the road i go, I stopped by the spawning channel to grab some pre-cut firewood. Thanks Mr Beaver! no sense in me doing all the work......

someones been thru here today already, muddy puddles.

IMGP6340.JPG

Slade likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

todays tool of choice was the Boker Vox tomahawk. 1/4" thick spring steel , its a mean brutal bush tool.

IMGP6342.JPG

find that cedar...its always dry despite the heavy rains for the last couple months. Same with the green willow , silver maples, and alders.....all burn when split , even green.

IMGP6343.JPG

IMGP6348.JPG

you can beat on the Boker Vox hawk like your teaching it a lesson. Pry and twist it too, its not going to break, it just springs back.

IMGP6350.JPG

pre-cut wood, thanks to Mr Chomper (beaver)

IMGP6349.JPG

recycled dried coffee grounds and parrafin and lamp wick firestarter. I didn't quite mix it right, oh well, it still burned and smelled great!

IMGP6345.JPG

a little BC Fire Helper (diesel & Naphta) and you got a blaze! even when its raining so hard you cant hear.

IMGP6351.JPG

oops forgot the buns.....oh well......locally made Freybe swiss cheese for lunch

IMGP6353.JPG

it was getting dark pretty quick

IMGP6357.JPG

:eek: spooky woods.......:confused:
    IMGP6361.JPG

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Klynesquatch and Slade like this.
  3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Rains all the time up there ,don't it?

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

damn, shouldn't of had chili last night! :D WOOSH!!!

IMGP6354.JPG

I always keep a large coffee cup of diesel near the fire....in case of curious animals or if i need sudden light to see Sasquatch

IMGP6352.JPG

IMGP6359.JPG

IMGP6360.JPG

:D:D:D

normal campfire for comparison....

IMGP6366.JPG

I puttered about, using the hawk and tending the fire. The rain got worse and worse to the point where the fire was have trouble keeping up. Those aint snowflakes below........

IMGP6372.JPG

pulled the bigger firewood out of the fire and raked the rest into the center. It was out by the time I put the hawk away and fired up the Jeep.

Drove out, the rain pounding on the roof. Had to drive super slow,the FSR and then the paved road were under an inch of water. Hydroplaning aint fun. Traffic was heavy heading south on the 99, lots of inexperienced drivers who really shouldn't be driving at night, esp in heavy rain like we had. The dumbass'es with no lights on fascinate me.

thats it, short and sweet and wet. :cool:

JAD and Slade like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yea...and yet we have "water restrictions" in the summer, cuz the idiots in the gooberment can't manage water storage properly .......lol

Hawkeye5 and Slade like this.
  6. Stone

Stone Member

Drive 75 mi?

Pffft. I walked that far today.

;)

Bushman5 likes this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

pffffffftttttt! no you didn't! :D Id believe you if you said you BIKED that far today.........o_O:p:cool:

Stone likes this.
  8. Stone

Stone Member

It's either too little or too much .

It seems that neither rain dances
    nor cell phones can change it.

I suggest this: peanut butter

Good quality peanut butter .

And chunky, at that ...

Bushman5 likes this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

little gear shot here.....thats a POWERTANK, and inside the PELICAN CASE is a full on tire repair kit, spare parts, air hose, air chuck and gauge, tire deflate gauge

IMGP6344.JPG

JAD likes this.
  10. JAD

JAD Member

I always carry a CO2 tank off road. I just fabbed my own version of a Powertank up with local sourcing. Nice platform for safekeeping during travel.

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Good stuff! Drive 70 miles to build a fire, or share one, or help get a deer, or help process one. Dang right I will! What are we if not the representatives of our lifestyle? Bushman may growl and gripe but there he goes making sure the fire is dead, or piling and burning some other dummies trash. He could send some of that rain down here tho. ;)

Bushman5 likes this.