Do Not Underestimate the Outdoors

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Jun 21, 2017.

1. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...dead-new-mexico-s-sweltering-carlsbad-n775281

I know we all read these stories and say: "Not me, I am a survival expert who has a knife."

My own personal experiences in different environments have taught me some valuable lessons.

A few:
    1. Rhabdomyolysis in the Grand Canyon. It is not the walk down that gets you.
    2. Severe dehydration in Death Valley.
    3. Wife developed AMS climbing in Colorado. Basically had driven 16hrs and then hit the mountains without any acclimation process.
    4. Dehydration in Central America
    5. Dehydration again searching for Gila Monsters in NM.
    6. Too many close hypothermias to count.
    I would like to think that I am more intelligent now, but the point is, we often are too prideful or ignorant to realize our limitations until things go south.

One that I always remember:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Tanner

Datilite and Theodore like this.
  2. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Wow. I had never heard about Evan Tanner. I've skirted dehydration a few times and been out with those to crossed the line. It's easy for experienced folks to forget the basics and end up in bad spots.

On a trip up the Porter's Creek Man Way with two experienced Smokies hikers one of them didn't follow the water purification drops instructions and ended up with a parasite and the other didn't drink nearly enough and ended up pretty out of it when we got back to camp.

3. Moonpie

Moonpie Member

I live in one of the most populated counties in America, Gwinnett County Georgia which is just northeast of Atlanta. We are very well known for lots of overpopulated things like our 2.1 BILLION dollar school budget for 180,000 students but we're also known for our expansive county parks. Here's the latest story on how a mother and two kids had to be rescued from one of our 1900 acre suburban county parks...

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/lo...cle_ce597764-d5ce-5a31-8d3e-daf7def07399.html

martin_j001 likes this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

No doubt. We are fragile creatures. Undeniably.

Theodore likes this.
  5. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Well howdy, neighbor! (I'm in unincorporated L'ville, just off Hwy 29). Heard about this one, and was rather surprised/amazed by it. That is our usual day-hike park (or Little Mulberry).