DIY rat trap camp alarm

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Bushman5, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

whipped this up today, uses ramset blanks. Still need to spray paint it OD and attach some paracord for lashing to logs.

shown with springs disconnected for photo shoot.

[​IMG]

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Interesting idea. Have you fired one ? My "concern" would be that on discharge the trap and plate will not adequately contain the Ramset blanks and cause "shrapnel". You injure a "passerby" so and you may end up in a world of legal pain. Come the zombie apocalypse this does not of course matter. I have seen several perimeter alarms that discharge a primed centrfire rifle case. No mistaking that sound in the night and no danger either.

Kaw-liga, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

did a test fire in the underground, with the trap on the floor. No luck......i think the trap, not being secured, did not allow enough kinetic energy on the bar, to trigger the primer charge in the casing. It jumped pretty high and although the bar slammed home hard, it did not even dent the blank.

have seen the same trap, with a mouse trap , fire off these ramsets no prob.....so hoping that actually securing the trap to a log with allow the bar to slam hard enough onto the ramsets.

the board itself is half inch thick solid maple, and the plate is 1/8" aluminum. There are slots drilled out in the wood, so the discharge goes to the air.

I may have to weld a thin rectangular bar to the trap bar, to act as a firing pin (similar to the ramset nail gun firing pin.

most of the periomieter alarms I set up, the "alarm" itself is well away from the entry point of the trail. I used braided fishing line and can do long runs of wire .

even just using it as is, no blanks, its bloody loud.......:D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Dagwood and Zeek like this.