DIY Dyneema wallet/pouch

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Stim, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Stim

Stim Member

Was browsing ripstopbytheroll.com the other day and ran across some Dyneema pouch kits. I ordered the small and large versions and decided to give it a go. The fabric comes pre cut, which is awesome because I really suck at cutting fabric :D

I made some mistakes with it. Stitching is way off and the zipper install was a bit confusing for me. I salvaged what I could and it seems to work so far. time will tell I guess.
    I ordered another kit so I can make another small wallet/pouch and I also have the medium kit on the way so I can make my wife a makeup bag, and I'm about to start working on a larger version as well.

It was fun to make since I have never made anything like this before and it was definitely a learning experience.
    Anyway, this is what it looks like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JDavidBoyd

JDavidBoyd Member

That's sown with a machine, yes? Any special thread used?

3. Stim

Stim Member

I used a machine. I'm having issues with my thread tension right now which sucks. :(

I used Gutermann Mara 70 polyester thread. I'm sure you could use whatever you want though since its not being used for anything load bearing. I have the Gutermann because I was using it on my hammocks.

4. Slade

Slade Member

Do you sew a lot? If that thread won't work for you, you are doomed. About the easiest to feed thread there is. Other than a smaller size like Gutermann sew-all.

If you don't sew that much, make sure you are getting a good cut when you load your bobbin. I had many frustrations thinking tension was my issue when really it was the way the bobbin thread got fed into the machine. it still happens now and then. I always sew a test line with a stitch that makes the problem obvious now after I switch bobbins. Seriously, try loading it 10 times if that's what it takes. You'll get the feel for it eventually. If it really is a tension issue, good luck! haha

5. Stim

Stim Member

Thanks for the info! I don't sew a lot though. Here recently I'm getting into it more though. I really need to learn the machine more that I'm using as well
    I have been banging my head trying to figure the tension problem out and the majority of the answers have to deal with the bobbin or a dirty machine. So I was going to clean the machine up and try messing with the bobbin. People were saying that the machine I use has an issue with the plastic bobbins and that I should use a metal one. It worked just fine before I tried sewing the cuben fiber though. I sewed plenty of 1.9oz ripstop and never had an issue before. It's my wife's machine and I'm thinking about just buying my own.

6. Stim

Stim Member

Got it figured out. Had the bobbin threaded wrong and the tension was off. Rookie mistake I guess. Gonna stitch the larger version up when I get home later on.

Slade likes this.
  7. Slade

Slade Member

These look fun. Might need to do a couple myself. Have to find it it more about the material. Is it waterproof?

Stim likes this.
  8. Stim

Stim Member

It's Dyneema/cuben fiber. Supposed to be highly waterproof, but I've never personally tested it. That's what zpacks makes all their packs and tents out of. Stuffs like $28 for half a yard or something insane like that. Check out ripstopbytheroll.com that's where I got all the kits from. They don't have many left though, and they are sold out of the 1oz cuben fiber material on the site. They have more lighter weight available though.

9. Stim

Stim Member

Second try. Big difference in the stitching this time. I also added the grosgrain pull tab for easy pocket retrieval

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeek, ESEE-Fan, Slade and 1 other person like this.
  10. Stim

Stim Member

Last two.
    Green pouch is made with silnylon and will be the new wallet for now.

[​IMG]

I added the extra grosgrain on this one so I can mount it to my pack.
    [​IMG]

Zeek and ESEE-Fan like this.
  11. Stim

Stim Member

Final shot.
    I removed the Grosgrain tabs from the medium bag and tried to clean everything up.

[​IMG]

Tried to fix this one up as well. The only issues is the holes leftover from the mistakes I had previously made. It works though.

[​IMG]

Zeek and ESEE-Fan like this.
  12. Stim

Stim Member

And another one.
    Made from scrap Jansport backpack material.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeek, C99c, Bushman5 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I like these. Would make a good BooBooKit

Stim likes this.
  14. inconel710

inconel710 Member

RSBTR is awesome. They have an early Black Friday sale going on right now. Use "TAKE-15" at checkout to get 15% off anything. https://ripstopbytheroll.com/

Stim likes this.