Dangerous animal defense and avoidance

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Strigidae, Feb 12, 2019.

1. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Gotten quiet around here:oops:

Zeek likes this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

...... yes....I should of course add the most dangerous thing found in my backyard is generally defeated with a post hole shovel (for that extra reach out of striking range ;) :D ) !!

Strigidae, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  3. Zeek

Zeek Member

xxllc6z.gif

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

Too big and too heavy for me. And I do not like bolt or semi automatic rifles. And I like shorter barrels. I’m happy with my Rigby. But that is my preference I’m not saying you should use my caliber. I was just giving advice. And for large game? I still say the .416 is the best. Lol Everything I own is made custom for my.470. I can not afford to get all new kit. Even my canteen covers carry 4 rounds each. I will keep what I own and like

5. Andy the Aussie

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Member

In my defense... the M27 rifle, the Finnish Army's first almost complete reworking of the Model 1891, nicknamed Pystykorva (literally "spitz") was the sheeit!!!

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  7. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

[​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  8. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yeah yeah bro... that's my girl. Cute as a button!!!

Strigidae and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  9. David Russo

David Russo Member

I only own one longarm, a shorty AR in 223. It takes brain hits to reliably stop charges. Animal attacks vs humans are so rare that I not only dont gear up or train for them, I dont bother with a longarm which is suitable for the job. No handgun is suitable, or all of them are just as suitable, put it that way. All require a brain hit, none are any more powerful than a 20 ga slug and a 20 ga auto shotgun would have some other uses, while a "bear stopper" rifle does not. If I lived in Alaska, I might add a 308 autorifle to the battery, but I doubt it. I bow hunted for many years. It's not hard to get within 100m of anything but mountain sheep or goats and a 60 gr 223 softpoint to the brain drops anything short of elephant. With ammo being the problem that it is, I'm not taking on any new frustrations.

10. Andy the Aussie

Breaking shoulders and spines are also a means to stop a charge by many a beast. As always choosing the right rifle/firearm for the task and the environment in which you plan to be is the most important. Certainly what I would choose to hunt with here south of the tropics would differ to what I would carry in the NT.

11. David Russo

David Russo Member

I dont agree, MEN and dogs are 10,000 x more likely to be the threat than big animals and there's a lot more small game than big game. A quiet .22 lr conversion unit in the AR for rabbits and squirrels and varmints sees far more use than a big game rifle. Sure, I want the ability to reach 1/4 mile on dogs, coyotes, wolves, cougar, men, and 200 yds on deer, hogs, etc, and 100 yds or so to brain a really big animal. I would not be happy with a mere .22lr, even tho I could probably make it suffice. the shorty 223, iven 60 gr softpoints, hits every bit a hard (800 ft lbs) as a 4" .44 mag at the muzzle, and at 100 yds, still hits as hard as a 6" 357 does at 10m. or as hard as a 44-40 lever or Ky rifle ever did at 50m, because of the poor flight characteristics of their bullets.

12. Andy the Aussie

Again.....environment and location will make the world of difference. What I carried around Mozambique is quite the same as I would choose for the NT but very different to chasing around in the New England area here for deer. I can literally hunt and be the only human on 100,000 acres of land so critters are my concerns......different environment and location.....

13. C99c

C99c Member

I disagree. 12 gauge is always the answer. Big game = 12 gauge. Small game = 12 gauge. Cars = 12 gauge. Fish = 12 gauge. Ninjas = 12 gauge. Drones flown by overlanders = 12 gauge. Dinosaurs = 12 gauge.

Chris Talley likes this.
  14. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

15. Andy the Aussie

...... I disagree with your disagreement but I think that we can agree to disagree and agree that we all have choices that we make we can agree on.... :D

C99c, Strigidae and DiscoveryLover like this.
  16. C99c

C99c Member

Agreed. Maybe.

17. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

At my age, arrogance, foggy remembrance of my skill level, I have no qualms about my tendency of pontification.
    I have shot a tremendous amount of 12 gauge. If doing walking patrols in thick brush, I will choose a 12 ga. For vehicle stops, a 12 ga would be my choice. For a gun to protect my abode and wife I have a short 12 ga which excels in any room clearing procedure that I might deem necessary, it leans beside my bed.
    After watching thousands of people try to shoot the 12 ga, I will say that it is too much gun for many.
    If you are leisurely hiking in an area with your wife in Montana It would be ridiculous to carry. If you are fly fishing or fixing fence are you going to have it at ready?
    I chased quail and pheasant for many years. Only western quail warranted 12 ga for me. If hunting in thicker brush over a dog a 28 ga was my choice.
    The 12 ga got its popularity from WW2. Prior to this the 16ga was the choice of America an Europe. When steel shot became mandatory, the 12 ga was needed but the 10 would have been better.

As for Dinosaurs, give me the 577 Trex of the 600 Nitro.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    C99c, IW17 and Zeek like this.
  18. C99c

C99c Member

People that don't choose 12 gauge = 12 gauge.
    Kangaroos = 12 gauge. Better vehicle jack than the ARB jack = 12 gauge. Mutant squirrels = 12 gauge. Best lead actor in major motion picture = 12 gauge. Cthulhu's 2020 running mate = 12 gauge.

Chris Talley and IW17 like this.
  19. Andy the Aussie

I would take on a T-Rex with a 12ga before I went after an angry Kangaroo with one !!! Skippy will take it off you and make you ride it like a pogo stick..... !!! It should not be lost on anyone that both a T-Rex and and 'Roo have those unnerving short arms !!!

IW17, KMCMICHAEL and C99c like this.
  20. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

I don’t know everything you hunt. Where I hunt I use a .470NE double rifle. I like the really fast second shot, and the fast reloading. I like the accuracy at up too about 200m. The small size and the balance/feel perfect to me and the recoil is by far acceptable. BIG NOTE!!! I also did not buy this rifle. It was a gift. For most game to be hunted where I live a .270 win is legal but I would use a .275 Rigby. Where I hunt normality laws change I would probably go for a .416 bolt rifle now. But with solids even in North America a .470 is not as bad as you think as a “meat destroyer “. And for those that say they have never needed a long arm to defend them selves from game? Never live where I live. I will trust and have many times my double before “pepper spray “