Culinary Goodness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emac, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Menace

Menace Member

Brisket just coming off the smoker 20190302_140053.jpg

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I swear when I get out of this city hell im going to build a big outdoor kitchen, with a huge bbq pit.

That brisket looks amazing @Menace

Jeremiah Jones and Zeek like this.
  3. IW17

IW17 Member

Zeek likes this.
  4. Menace

Menace Member

It was my friend. My best friend from growing up is expecting his first kid this spring so I had all the guys we grew up with over last night for a "man shower." I only got a few small pieces before it disappeared. I'm gonna have to make another just to get some more of it. Lol

That is the GB 2. I just got it in the mail this week

Zeek and IW17 like this.
  5. IW17

IW17 Member

Now I don't claim to be the best at much, or anything really. But damn I can make some great ribs.

IMG_20190308_191617.jpg IMG_20190308_191904.jpg

koolaidnd, Zeek, Bushman5 and 2 others like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

anyone like ribs, hot out of the smoker, dipped in apple cider vinegar, lime juice and cayenne pepper?? not all sweet and sticky like reg ribs......

edit: speeling of line juice.....lol

anrkst6973 and Zeek like this.
  7. IW17

IW17 Member

I've had something similar There's a name for that type of rib. It's good. I prefer BBQ but I try to change stuff up just to not get sick of something.

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  8. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I have to remember to not look at this thread on Fridays during lent lol

Zeek, IW17 and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

you can bbq fish...just saying.....

the message is the medium......er....other way around....LOL

Zeek likes this.
  10. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Not a huge seafood fan.... I'll attend a fish fry or two during lent but that's all the fish I eat...I wanna like it, tried many times.... I like shrimp and crab through...wanna try lobster

11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

My Son came over to help me cook a special dish...that will hear ever after be known as "Fire Chicken". :D

The Warrior, koolaidnd, IW17 and 4 others like this.
  12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

anrkst6973 likes this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

All beef smokies over alder coals in the Gen 2 Titanium SIEGE STOVE. Skewers are big cotter pins :D

70833097-F493-41CA-BF77-9B47F260649F.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  14. IW17

IW17 Member

Deer jerky, before and after.

IMG_20190314_172722.jpg IMG_20190315_175747.jpg

Strigidae, Bushman5, Zeek and 3 others like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Prepping Culinary Ingredients For Ginger/Garlic/Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry For Dinner Tonight & Kebabs For Church Of The Woods On Sunday.....Buncha Knives Picture Post..............

Did not get out into the woods today with a big sack of my new knives like i had planned .......my morning coffee turned into 4 cups of Black-Rifle-Coffee (Thanks DS Tactical Crew!) and catching up on local & world news on the computer. Also had to run a few errands, and when i got back I had to deal with a local B&E thief that was about to break into our underground parking back door (I physically removed a LARGE screwdriver from his hands and put him down prone on the pavement).

once that had been dealt with (he'll be out in a hour and doing it again..... :mad: ) I assembled the sharp implements of destruction and prepped some beef for tonights ginger/garlic/broccoli stir fry, as well as kebabs for Sunday!.

Pic Heavy

top to bottom: Kabar Mark1, Spartan Blades Tactical Trout, Chris Reeves Nyala, RMJ Tactical Utsidihi, and a Winkler Operator. Everything but the Nyala came from Brother @Reno Lewis after he purchased them, modded and gave them a scary scary edge, and put them thru their paces before deciding they did not fit his needs. The Nyala I got from Brother @Dagwood , who gave me a WICKED deal on it.
    IMG_4324.JPG

OK, im hungry, lets get started on the meat. I bought a beef roast, it was a decent price, because i'm sure as hell not paying bloody $25 CAD for sirloin steak (a single little one)

Started with the Chris Reeves Nyala, slicing off a slab of roast. I really like the scales on this knife...despite wet hands and meat juices....110% grip. Slices pretty damn good too.
    IMG_4325.JPG
    Now i have had the Spartan Blades TT for some time, its a top tier favorite of mine. It effortlessly cubed up the slab i had just cut off.
    IMG_4326.JPG
    time for the Kabar Mark1. This might surprise everyone, but its the slicy-est of all the knives shown. Surgical sharp edge,I used little to no effort to slice more cubes up.
    IMG_4327.JPG
    most expensive knife purchase yet - the Winkler Operator. @Reno Lewis offered this to me a while back, and I just was not that into it. It just seemed too small for my needs and normal knife usage (chopping/hacking/splitting etc). All it took was putting this knife into my hands to instantly make it a new favorite. SO COMFORTABLE to hold in any position,and despite its small size it kicks ass. Its a ventilator,anything pierced by this is going to bleed out rapidly. However it also excels at utility use....in this case slicing/cubing meat, slicing garlic, etc. Here I am slicing beef strips for tonights stir fry.
    IMG_4328.JPG
    continuing the strip cutting with the RMJ Tactical Utsidihi (Cherokee for "ManKiller"). This small plain blade is a EDC for me, as well as a constant knife stocking in my webbing rigs.
    IMG_4329.JPG
    last slice of meat being strip sliced by the Winkler Operator. Scales are soaking wet with meat juices. Still never slipped out of my hand.
    IMG_4330.JPG
    all the meat was cubed and strip sliced, time to get some onions diced up. RMJ Tactical Utsidihi performed well here.
    IMG_4331.JPG
    All hands on deck to deal with the giant ginger!
    IMG_4332.JPG
    Winkler Operator quickly peeled the ginger root, little waste.
    IMG_4333.JPG

same with the Kabar Mark1 IMG_4334.JPG
    Spartan Blades TT slicing up some ginger for me to munch on and drop into the beer.
    IMG_4335.JPG
    I cheated and used a grater to get very fine shredded ginger
    IMG_4336.JPG

GARLIC! love me some garlic. No such thing as too much garlic. Here an entire bulb of Russian garlic is about to be slayed. IMG_4337.JPG
    Chris Reeves Nyala for the win....I was able to rock the knife on the curve and quickly process the garlic into tiny pieces.
    IMG_4338.JPG

but the Winkler Operator was no slouch eaither..... IMG_4339.JPG

and niether was the RMJ Tactical Utsidihi IMG_4340.JPG

Nyala slaying Habenaro peppers IMG_4342.JPG

cumin, coriander, salt, turmeric, black pepper, raw garlic, shredded ginger root , diced onions, Teryiaki sauce, and Thai Peanut Satay sauce for the marinade. Mixed well and off into the fridge for 3 - 5 hours to marinade. Best part is the cubes of beef for Sunday will marinate almost 20 hours...... :)

IMG_4343.JPG IMG_4344.JPG

hard part is going to be picking out the beef slices from the marinade bowl, for tonights stir fry....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

This is going to be so slobbering drool worthy! I like that Winkler man, that is my kind of "pocket knife".

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

:)

hot cast iron, HOT CAST IRON.....peanut oil......drop that meat in like its HOT, into the pan and sear........keep stirring........sear that lovely ginger/garlic/spice marinated meat.....

add beer to the pan to break the glaze and let the meat simmer....(NOTE: normally sirloin steak strips are used, I used chuck roast....so the simmering is KEY to tenderize and cook it).

IMG_4359.JPG IMG_4360.JPG IMG_4362.JPG

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Strigidae, Zeek, IW17 and 1 other person like this.
  18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I figured the only way to properly christen my Lodge carbon steel skillet...a venison stir fry with meat frozen in marinade since 2015. So tender and tasty.

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

NICE!!!!

Zeek likes this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

anytime is breakfast time!

you'll need.....one can of navy beans in tomato sauce (or MORE , depending on how many family your feeding!) , one onion, diced, 1 pack of bacon or more......one giant slab of aged cheddar (chunked or sliced) , 10 - 24 eggs, salt, pepper, etc...

start with a LARGE cast iron pan.....12 - 20". Heat it hot. Drop in 3" slices of bacon and COVER the pan bottom. Top with cans of navy beans in tomato sauce. DO NOT STIR. Add the diced onion. DO NOT STIR......Add more bacon slices and put in the oven under the BROILER. Get that stuff SIZZLING! then remove and crack all the eggs and top with cheese. Back under the Broiler.........Spoon out big scoops of goodness onto toasted bread. Eat.

Your life is better now with a HEARTY MEAL.......go outside and play.

Its ok...

IMG_4485.JPG IMG_4482 (1).JPG IMG_4486.JPG

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019