Creek Exploring & Tenkara

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by R Stowe, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Tango Alfa Sierra

Tango Alfa Sierra Member

Much better than what I was finding - thank you much !

R Stowe likes this.
  2. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

You're welcome. I hope that one of those three suggestions look good. You can also check out some rods around the $100 mark on Amazon.

Tango Alfa Sierra likes this.
  3. chorpie

chorpie Member

You should be aware that the more expensive rods will cast better and feel better. I've got a 9' rod that is super whippy; when you cast forward and stop a more expensive rod tip will bend forward, then back a little, then stop. A less expensive rod will usually keep vacillating back and forth for a while.

Their casting feel will also be different. I've fished multiple rods from Tenkara USA, and a couple from Daiwa. You can find some good reviews on the site tenkarabum.com. There's a lot of information there as well.

Tango Alfa Sierra and Bushman5 like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

quit being an enabler Chorpie......yer gunna kill my finances........ :D

chorpie likes this.
  5. chorpie

chorpie Member

Hey, if there's one thing i'm good at, it's spending other peoples' money!

Tango Alfa Sierra and Bushman5 like this.
  6. wilas101

wilas101 Member

LOL Of course I didn't use the regular hitch. How else would I give myself a new story about something dumb I did? :)

I had the line with the loop on it so I used a prusik and after a bit it loosed enough to slip off the lillian during a cast. It floated just as pretty as you'd like through the air and into the river.

After that I went home and read the instructions while I waited for my new line to arrive. Shortly thereafter I learned to use a western type fly rod and haven't used the Tenkara a whole lot.

chorpie likes this.
  7. chorpie

chorpie Member

I've got both, western fly rods and japanese fly rods. They each have their uses. I can say that if you're fishing streams that are 15-30ft wide, tenkara is the way to go. all your line is off the water, no drag (unless it's windy, in which case you're having issues with floating line as well), and super sensitive feel. Large rivers? Be prepared to move a lot.

8. wilas101

wilas101 Member

I'm gonna have to break it back out. Not because of this thread but because my fly rod was broken last week when someone who claims they didn't know it broke down threw the 8 foot rod into my 5.5ft truck bed. Then I turned around Saturday and broke the end off my spinning rod. Luckily the fly rod was a cheap one from walmart so I wasn't too upset. The spinning rod was more expensive so it pissed me off a bit more. Now I've got a Tenkara rod, a med/heavy action bait casting rig and a good excuse to head to Scheels.

9. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that. I caught a few sunfish today on the tenkara. They're always fun.

10. wilas101

wilas101 Member

lol don't be too sorry. Now I have a reason to buy a better fly rod/reel. :)