Corona vaccines ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olderguy, Feb 23, 2021.

1. olderguy

olderguy Member

Just curious how the vaccine program is where your at ? I got my first shot last week and was surprised there were only 2 other people where I had an appointment and received a confirmation e-mail. 2nd shot scheduled right there before I even got the 1st shot. I'm 75 and no side effects. Most of my older friends are still waiting especially members of Kaiser. I guess I got lucky !!!

RocketmanDane likes this.
  2. Skip808

Skip808 Member

We’re in full swing. Already done with emergency response and healthcare staff. I got my second shot a few weeks back. Working on the over 70 and high risk groups now.

Our public health department is the main vaccinator. There are one to two distributions a week. I try to volunteer once a week and the number of shots given out is around 400 per day. I heard tomorrow is supposed to have 700 appointments. The hospital and Kaiser are also giving shots at a lower rate.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  3. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Apparently we are one of the best states, which is surprising.

They just very recently opened it up for folks 18 and older with underlying health conditions.

Strigidae, Skip808 and RocketmanDane like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Moderator of the Century Staff Member

Started here yesterday. Aged, health care, border staff and quarantine hotel workers are first.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I am very surprised by how at least the southern part of the state I live in is handling things.

They are throwing the vaccine at pretty much anyone who signs up. No proof needed you actually “qualify” for the shot according to state guidelines. We actually have people coming from 2 states in either direction to the local vaccine sites.

From what I understand the 4-5ish local county health departments have been distributing on average 400 shots per location per day 5 days per week. Then on the weekends each site has a more “targeted” groups put on by different organizations and they give 1100-1500 shots over the weekend.

We also have local hospitals now running large maybe 1000 shot pop ups about 1 day per week.

Plus retail pharmacies have just started I think last week giving shots.

Additionally there is a large Veteran population in the state and surrounding states so the VA has been running a large 1 day pop up about every two weeks.

Plus the National guard and local AD troops have helped vaccinate all of the local senior centers and assisted living facilities

A lot of these “pop up”/ special clinics are short notice but all have been extremely successful. I think the real important factor is when shots are available it goes on the local news, F@ce Bo0k, local radio and church reader boards.

The system is not perfect but the state is really trying to vaccinate as many people as they can, help out where and who they can.

IMO this is what it’s going to take to get everyone who wants it vaccinated.

olywa, OKcherokee and Skip808 like this.
  6. jafo

jafo Member

We finally managed to get all of our older family members their first dose. They have just in the last 2 weeks really started cranking out cattle calls for shots. One of our supermarkets just did 4K shots this morning to anyone who wanted them as an example. I'm in the final cohort for vaccination unless I get vaccinated through work so it seems like it will be a while for me