compasses.

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by charlie, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Is it at all possible to get the MC2 Global with metric markings?

I bought one a little over two years ago that was marketed as having metric markings, but it didn't.

At the time, I only had a few days before my GSAR course started, so I just went to a local store and picked out a Silva Ranger.

I'm still tempted to upgrade from it when I can though.

2. McKROB

McKROB Member

I used to always buy the metric version (part number SS004252010) from MEC but for some reason they stopped selling it and are instead stocking the military MILs version, which makes no sense, I figured it must be a mistake. I emailed them about it last year and even followed up with a phone call, but they are completely clueless over there, the people I spoke to had no idea what the difference was and claimed it’s the model they have always sold, I even confirmed in three different stores that it is in fact the MILs version.

The last two metric ones I bought from my local outfitters which offers a SAR discount, and were much cheaper than anywhere else even before the discount. I can send you one if you decide to upgrade and can’t find one.

Deakin Equipment in Vancouver usually stocks them, and BAP Equipment in Fredericton as well, both are reputable dealers and sell online.

Andris94 and Reno Lewis like this.
  3. Reno Lewis

Thanks Rob, I appreciate that. I've heard there's a store local to me that sells the MC2, but I haven't checked. Might have to go do that. Also, I know that VPO (Valhalla Pure Outfitters) sells the MC2 in store and also offers SAR discount, but I don't think they offer the Global version. Nor do I see it listed online anymore.

Once I decide to go for one, I might just take you up on your offer.

I've been into MEC once... Wasn't impressed in the least by the service. The only thing I consider buying from them any more is the ITW Nexus cord locks and the Grabber US reusable space blankets.

4. Reno Lewis

So after the past month of trying to source a compass for my haversack kit, I remembered that I own a Cammenga 27. Completely forgot about it... :rolleyes:

It's not usable professionally for me, but it's super durable, and will be perfect for my bushcraft/scout haversack kit for taking rough bearings while exploring off trail, or if I ever have to make a B-line to civilization.

Little bit of a learning curve with a lensatic coming from a baseplate compass, but I think I've got the hang of it. No plans of using it for map work, so it's pretty straight forward.

I've become so used to having a compass with me, going into the woods without one feels like going into the woods without a knife.

It just feels... Wrong.

Andris94 and Zeek like this.
  5. Pilot

Pilot Member

I also have a Suunto MC2G that goes with me any time I go in the woods, even for just a day hike. If you have a compass, and know how to use it, you're never lost. Add a map, and you are golden. For around $50, they are hard to beat. I also keep an old Silva from when they were still well made in my Jeep just in case.