Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. TerryD

TerryD Member

Semi-related: We had a short bull once, a herford of some sort I think. Still a massive animal, but very friendly.

My brother and I were 10-12ish and out feeding the cattle in the winter. We fed square bails because dad had free labor putting them up every year. I was tossing the bails out and brother was spreading them out on the ground. I jumped down and Charlie (the bull) was standing outside the door.

I walked over and began rubbing his neck and petting him. He wanted more pets and started pushing into me. He wound up pinning me against the barn. I couldn't raise my stick to get his attention and my brother ran over and started whacking him on the head with his stick which just caused him to push into me harder and start stomping his front leg, right on my foot.

Brother finally went around behind him and Charlie sauntered off to eat more hay. I was uninjured but I learned a valuable lesson about where I stood around larger animals.

Jtallen83, ASH, Delkancott and 3 others like this.
  2. ASH

ASH Member

My horse stomped my foot at the beginning of September and I still have a mark. I was leading him to the round pen and we crossed a puddle by the wash rack. He decided to tap dance around the puddle right on my foot. It didn't hurt for long, but I still have some red splotches.

I moved Gunner, the hard to catch horse, to a different pasture closer to the barn Sunday. I went out to see how he would act yesterday evening. He was at the fence, but keeping a little distance until I offered him a treat.

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I grew up in horse country out here. Had them from when I was a kid and with my uncles all working stockmen (cowboys I guess in the US) I spent a good bit of time in the saddle. My GF back when was into showjumping and dressage but we were gifted a great big bay mare (part Australian Stockhorse part Clydesdale I think ;) ) she was a big strong girl who had known nothing but work. Ridden, fed left ridden. She has a nasty streak with the owners kids (they earned it) so it was us take her or pet food. GF could not get close to her. The more she tried the more frustrated both became. I just walked right up to her and slipped on a bridle. That annoyed GF even more. Ended up as my horse. She had a wild and cheeky streak in her that made her fun. Never (with me) mean or dangerous.

4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

3 days left of Deer season… Hoping to get 1 more!

ASH likes this.
  5. ASH

ASH Member

Good luck!

RocketmanDane likes this.
  6. ASH

ASH Member

Chrome or antique brass hardware? I am using 2 of the gold and silver crosses. IMG_20221209_124358593_HDR.jpg

KnOeFz likes this.
  7. ASH

ASH Member

I think we're going with the chrome hardware.

8. ASH

ASH Member

He might be a little spoiled. IMG_20221210_133906621.jpg IMG_20221210_133740046.jpg

Bushman5, Bozho and Delkancott like this.
  9. ASH

ASH Member

My dad keeps giving me rifles in calibers that I am not willing to buy ammo for. It drives me crazy having to accept a expensive gift that I don't want. The only thing they have going for them is that they are gifts.

Bushman5 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Start of the pantry food storage

- 4 x 10 L nato water jugs

L to R : chickpeas , oats, macaroni , lentils

1 x 20 L nato water jug - mixed rice , holds about 30 lbs worth roughly

I quite like how the 20 L jug sits on the shelf.... easier to grab and it utilizes the full shelf area

6D40FDEE-60A9-4CFA-8978-73DA24E6FA09.jpeg

Updated

flipped the 10L nato jugs on their ends - it gave me room for the oddball containers - L to R : 5 lbs cumin seed, 3 liters extra virgin olive oil, 3 liter empty oil bottle full of black pepper seed, 5 lbs Himalayan salt , big bag of coriander seed.
    All the jugs are now FULL of oats, chickpeas, lentils, macaroni and rice. About 100 lbs of dry goods

E0F5EEF7-D63A-4FE4-AD47-FC3A1D0653FA.jpeg

I fully intend to fill those remaining shelves with a mix of 10L & 20L nato water jugs and grains / beans / various pastas / rice etc as funds permit. I'm really liking this way of storing dry goods.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  11. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Any chance you can have them rebarreled in a caliber you’re already stocking?

ASH, RocketmanDane and Zeek like this.
  12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@ASH
    I would carefully “drop a hint” that it would make your life SO MUCH EASIER if any future gift came with so ammo because “it’s hard to find ammo” At least that way you might get some use out of them.

ASH and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  13. ASH

ASH Member

He does give me a box of ammo with them after I told him I didn't want to buy ammo for the first one. I'm conservative, I won't shoot up my only box of ammo. It's not his personal guns, but usually something he traded for. It's mainly overlapping hunting rifles. 1 year he gave me a choice and I picked an old Mossberg.308, but he's also given me a .270, .243 and this year a 30-06. I just don't need so many different calibers, I like things simple and I like to shoot cheap calibers.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  14. ASH

ASH Member

I mean it's not a bad problem to have, I would just rather him spend the money on himself.

15. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I can definitely understand that. Not sure where you’re located and if coyote or other varmint hunting is something you do much, but that 243 could be a damn fun one to have. The possible plus side to this is those particular rounds have been some of the few that stayed on the shelves through all the ammo shortages I’ve seen since 2013’s.

ASH and Zeek like this.
  16. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have not been outdoors in so long. Looking forward to the holidays being over so I can have some freedom back.

Bushman5 likes this.
  17. ASH

ASH Member

I made my dad a sheath for a knife he bought and I didn't even take a picture. I have to make myself take pictures of my work. I just don't take a lot of pictures and don't think about it.

The knife was either something someone put together from a kit or it's Pakistani or something. A bone handle clip blade skinner, it looked stainless.

18. ASH

ASH Member

I just realized I should have put a rivet near the tip. I'll have to get him to bring it by tomorrow. I had wax on my hands and didn't want to handle my phone earlier. I will get a pic this time.

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I'm the Bowery King now in the apt building.

major power outage for several blocks after a speeding car with summer tires hit a power station box nearby. Literally the day after a blizzard , melt, and sub -15 C temps.

No power in the building , no lights , emergency lighting batteries drained completely , but more importantly - no heat (we have some elderly in the building).

I'm the Bowery King now - with over 30 different ways of cooking food, boiling water, providing lighting without power etc

Should be interesting when Strata Council starts asking me for help. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I want to see a movie where the Minions recreate Mad Max Fury Road

E499E978-97E8-4530-B520-03A9EA597247.jpeg
    B3773C16-D7A7-47E6-96E1-AD75917C5FAA.jpeg

"Witness Me.............BANANAAAAAA!!!"
    49386A81-86D0-4C3E-B84B-34F89109AD4A.png

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022