Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. JV3

JV3 Member

boozing on a friday night while riding out a blizzard...i left the beer outside too long so either drink room temp beer or go nuclear...real-world survival scenario :D

[​IMG]

2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Baby Birds are coming early this year. I now have 9 Guinea Keets “sleeping” in my kitchen…

It is Def going to be interesting when we add a few Baby Chickens and Ducks to the kitchen in the next few weeks.

3. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

66 degrees out, headed to 70.

Then in a couple days it’s rain, freezing rain/sleet, and snow. Temps will be single digits or below zero by Thursday night. Winds 30mph.

I probably won’t leave the house again until Monday.

4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Same for here. It's been gorgeous out the past couple days and even til tomorrow. Then wed night we're expected to get 8-12 inches of snow and up to 1/2 inch of ice. So gonna get out while we can. Half of Branson is already shut down so it don't make a difference if the rest of it does. Just worried about losing power because we usually do with ice.

OKcherokee likes this.
  5. anomad

anomad Member

Yuck - looks like that crap is supposed to be rain by the time it gets this far east. Oh well, I have to work anyways.

This should be pretty much gone by then. Good day for burning here.
    [​IMG]

6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@anomad
    I wish my area was that clear right now… The snow bands caused some weird distributions…

We got 8-9 inches of snow at the house…

We are 5 miles from town and they got less then a inch…

School is running normal, businesses are running normal.. BUT our snow has turned in to a ice mess…. I still need to use 4wd to get in and out of the driveway..

anomad likes this.
  7. anomad

anomad Member

You must be at a higher elevation as well as a few miles north of me. My property is also at the top of a cove forming a bowl facing due south. So we're the first to melt. Luckily my driveway is one of the first things to melt. My Dad had his faults, like we all do. But buying this property and building here wasn't one of them. There was an old trailer house scratched out here when he bought the place in 1977. I was 5.

My neighbor is 94, he's lived in this cove for his whole life except 4 years in the Navy and a year in town while he saved up to build a house. He's a crass old fart and I love him to death. Reminds me of my own 'Pa who would be 113 if he was still alive today.

8. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Got about 5 inches so far and it's still coming down. Not a lot for most but these sw Missouri drivers suck at driving in it. We're not getting out even if we wanted to, the owners don't feel as clearing the parking lot is a good idea I guess, or he's just cheap. There's a thin layer of ice underneath also. So it's a good day for coffee and knife modding maybe. Stay safe and warm everyone. a Screenshot_20220203-103156_Chrome.jpg 20220203_103908.jpg 20220203_103901.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    DiscoveryLover, Strigidae and Bozho like this.
  9. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Winter tires?
    Snow plows?
    What are those?

Only main roads and highways get cleared, side street and neighborhood streets are never touched.
    Nobody bothers with winter tires.
    I don’t have anywhere I need to be. No point in risking it. I could get where I needed but worry someone would hit me.

There are always lots of 4x4s and sports cars in the ditch. Both from driving too fast.

10. anomad

anomad Member

Those pictures remind me of the winter of 2010/11. I was bringing my Dad's truck with slide in camper back to him from Denver to Georgia over the holiday break at work. I drove across Missouri and southern Illinois chasing/following a snow storm. The Interstates stayed open, but pulling off for diesel nothing was plowed. And it turns out an F350 dually with a 3k pound slide in camper and good tires has really good traction/contact plowing through slush and snow. My old chocolate lab Guinness slept in my lap as we barreled along through the night. Good memories.

[​IMG]

11. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It looks like they actually tried to plow but with the ice, it didn't even matter. They need to salt it. It's a steep uphill to get out of here also and people are missing work. 20220203_195443.jpg

Strigidae and DiscoveryLover like this.
  12. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

I didnt realize you were like 2hrs from me lol. It's about the same here. No roads are plowed and it's nothing but cornfields and huge snow drifts here. The town plowed the streets a little and blocked our cars in, so nice of them.

13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It's better this morning. My roommate was at least able to get out and get to work. I haven't ventured outside yet, still warm in bed lol.
    Where abouts are you?

14. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

Man I was out of it thinkin it was 2hrs its closer to 4 lol.. I'm 30 min n/e of St Louis in between no where and cornfields. A small town nobodies heard of. But about 15 from Alton if your familiar with it.

15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

A mouse made a nest under the intake manifold of my truck… Apparently it decided to chew some wires to add to the nest..

Chewing Wires connected to sensors and electronic engine components caused the engine to go crazy and drive like a broken down POS…

So far Almost $900 dollars in repairs to even get it back on the road…

Looks like I am going to need to adopt a barn cat…

Drew RedBear and TerryD like this.
  16. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I just want to give a shout out to the mods in here. It wasn't until I basically took over the ESEE north America group that I understood what they deal with on a daily basis lol. Props to you guys!

TerryD and RocketmanDane like this.
  17. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

As a mechanic in small town country shop I've seen my fair share of this on a pretty regular basis. They say the wiring is coated in peanut oil from factory and thats what draws them to chew on them.
    I'd make sure they are replacing what can be replaced and soldering with heat wrap for what isn't being replaced.. use of the crap crush wire splices should never be used.. ppl try that and it works temporarily until the connections corrode and then your back to square 1.

18. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Was in a mood, my apologies..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  19. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Wednesdays weather forecast:

Severe Storms, tornadoes, freezing rain, sleet, and snow.

Sounds……interesting.

20. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

E6911E76-60E6-429A-BF65-1FB8C96A5254.jpeg

Pretty much.

ASH, Strigidae, RocketmanDane and 2 others like this.