Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Real feel of 110 here yesterday and today. Spent day with the kids in Uncle's pool

2. Hammer

Hammer Member

It's funny how we've come to view a large guard as being indicative of a "classic Bowie" when the reality is that the knife Jim Bowie used at Vidalia likely had no guard at all. In fact, what we now consider a "Bowie" bears little resemblance to the original and many of these changes came along much later.

"The historical Bowie knife was not a single design, but was a series of knives improved several times by Jim Bowie over the years. The earliest such knife, made by Jesse Clift at Bowie's brother Rezin's request resembled Spanish hunting knives of the day, and differed little from a common butcher knife. The blade, as later described by Rezin Bowie, was 9 1⁄2 in (24 cm) long, 1⁄4 in (6.4 mm) thick and 1 1⁄2 in (3.8 cm) wide. It was straight-backed, described by witnesses as "a large butcher knife", and having no clip-point nor any handguard with a simple riveted wood scale handle...." source

"Early Bowie knives do not fit the popular image of the weapon. One thinks of a blade with a concave arch (clip point) cut into the end of the blade, and a cross-guard to protect the hand. Early examples, however, had a thick, heavy butcher-knife-like blade, with a straight back (top) and no clip point or hand guard. The blade varied in length from 8½ to 12½ inches and was sharpened on the true edge. Wooden handles were attached with silver pins and washers. The Searles knives of the 1830s were one-piece ebony, checkered, and decorated with small silver nails..." source

In fact, the BR "Edwin" is probably a lot more like the original "Bowie knife" than that Spyderco interpretation.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Zeek, Bushman5, Drew RedBear and 2 others like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

good point!

but you cannot deny how good those guards look. ;) esp the larger more fancy guards. Visual appeal in a knife is a HUGE selling point for me. If i don't like how it looks, I won't buy it. (like the Spyderco Bowie....... it's just fricking UGLY).

I did handle the Edwin Forrest Bowie a few days ago.........its VERY nice in the hand. But i just like the classic Alamo style bowie guard too much. Esp from some of the custom makers who make it out of wrought iron....its just beautiful to look at.

this isnt custom, its just a cold steel . The edge is .........worse than some of the Condor Knives ......LOL

this one will need a belt grinder to make it right.

C4111552-8E18-4938-A1A6-559CA90B1F4C.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Hammer, Zeek and Drew RedBear like this.
  4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Just got home from working the 9-5 shift. I hate nights..

Drew RedBear, C99c and Zeek like this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

Friend just canceled on me again for a planned two nighter this weekend. The last weekend I'll likely have free to do it for a few months.
    His reason? It's hot.

I made fun of him until he hung up. He's ten years younger than me and always lived in the south. Hot, in Georgia, in July? Yes, it's known to happen. Every year.

Guy buys new expensive "survival gear" pretty much every week, but can't survive without AC.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Strigidae, Drew RedBear and IW17 like this.
  6. C99c

C99c Member

Since I'm already being a jerk I texted him and told him until the weather cools off if he needs me to do anything for him just let me know. Play with his dog, use his gear, ride his motorcycles, pleasure his wife. Whatever I need to do so he can survive.

7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

....damn you and I could be brothers.... :D I have said much similar to my friends (and my Godson's) when they are whining about something which I generally call "character building" !!

Strigidae, Drew RedBear and C99c like this.
  8. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

So I've been expecting a parcel all day here, and finally the delivery lady pulls up and comes to the door. Empty handed.

"So it says I have a parcel for you, but I can't find it in the mess of parcels in my vehicle, sorry".

Then she takes off.

Oh Canada Post...

Strigidae, Bushman5 and Drew RedBear like this.
  9. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

US isnt much better brother

Drew RedBear and IW17 like this.
  10. IW17

IW17 Member

What he said...

Drew RedBear and Zeek like this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

real estate lady showing people an apt in the building apologized to her clients "for the ugly junk truck across the street" (my 1990 Mazda B)

Not realizing I was standing right there about to go wash it. So i said "yep, sure is ugly. Got a lot of miles on her, owned it for 29 years, just did a few upgrades, waiting on some parts. Best little Japanese truck ever, cost me literally nothing over 29 years to maintain." i continued on for almost 15 minutes. The real estate lady couldn't get an word in edgewise. Her clients were listening to me and one of them said "my father worked in the factory where those were made, if your is a 1990, he installed the engine on the assembly line. Great little trucks"

real estate lady just pursed her lips and ushered them inside. :D

she hates me. :D last time she was here showing an apartment, I walked out of mine with my Husqvarna slung over my shoulder :D

12. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Even if it is unsightly, why draw attention to it?

Don’t point out the negatives for them, focus on the positive.

Never understood why people do that.

13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

no idea. Shes asked me to move it so she doesnt have to look at it.

I said no. And it sat there for three months. :D unwashed, covered in mildew .

Got some real winners in my hood. Old tongue clucker types , envirofreaks and hipsters.

Zeek likes this.
  14. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

What he said

15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I’ve found a new creative way to buy gear :) If I find it on amazon I just added it to any order that the wifey wants me to put in. Have all of it sent as a “gift” and I don't risk her finding any receipts or invoices :)

It also helps that I don’t actually buy much large gear so it’s really the small items that seem to get lost or stolen by the kiddos..

Drew RedBear likes this.
  16. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Morning, off to the shooting range

17. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Early morning pigeons are annoying.

That is all.

Hammer and Bushman5 like this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Quit staying up until 0730 hours

19. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Mom changed her mind. Not moving now.

20. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Sorry to hear that Drew. Not sure whats going on but I'm here if you need it

Drew RedBear likes this.