Coal Burning Containers

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Caleb O, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

I did a coal burn in of a kuksa "bowl" yesterday. It turned out pretty good. I did an initial burn in, keeping an eye on the rim of the container and striations of the burn. After a good depth had been established, I cleaned out the bowl (a very easy process after burning) and checking the side walls of the container and the overall depth. (In a small container like this, the "pinch" test can be used. Taking the index finger and thumb, pinch the container on either side of a given "wall"; this generally gives one a good mental idea as to the containers wall thickness.) I did a second burn in after that, mostly to deepen the bowl as the sides were already good to go. For air control over the coals, I used a piece of river cane to direct airflow to where it was needed. At the end of this burn in, I use a hook knife to finish cleaning out the bowl. Kinda rough, but plenty serviceable. IMG_5868.JPG IMG_5869.JPG IMG_5871.JPG IMG_5878.JPG IMG_5879.JPG IMG_5889.JPG IMG_5883.JPG If anyone else has coal burned containers or spoons I'd love to see some photos! (Or even some pics after giving it a try) I'll be working on a section of log in the next few day for a stone boil. I'll make sure to post up some pics of that as well. Happy Burning!

2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Awesome. How long did it take start to finish?

Caleb O and Strigidae like this.
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Awesome work! I was watching a video on doing the burn method for a dugout canoe. That axe is so pretty! Can’t wait to get one! Awesome job I love seeing stuff like this. I need to find the time to try it

Caleb O likes this.
  4. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

From log to final piece, maybe 4 hours. Admittedly there was a break between the carving and burn in. I think that time could be shortened though. The coal burning itself didn't take long at all. If only a rough container is required it could be done very quickly. I'll time myself when I make the stone boiling bowl.

5. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

A canoe would be crazy! Fun though. I don't live in a part of the country that I would have the need to do that, but would surely love to try. The axe handles well, and I'm still really enjoying it. But seriously, give it a go. The burn in itself doesn't take too long. Would be a good time of learning, even if you didn't decide to keep the container.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  6. junglebum

junglebum Member

That’s a pretty kuksa the rough look gives it character

Caleb O likes this.
  7. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

Nice work, something for me to aspire to!
    I have done some spoons, don't have a smart phone so Pics are far and few between.
    Here is one did, didn't take foto when done.
    I too have used my crook knife but find it really hash's the edge.
    I use a short piece of aluminum arrow to focus the coal.
    You have inspired me to get back on this and grind out a bowl...............

IMG_4325.JPG IMG_4326.JPG

Strigidae and Caleb O like this.
  8. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Right on! Spoons are what I started with. Would love to see the bowl you end up doing.

9. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Was looking threw my pics to see if I had any coal burnt spoons. This is the only photo of the one I could find. Finished Sotol coal burnt spoon I did by the campfire one night. IMG_5893.JPG

HelRaiser, Strigidae and Not Sure like this.
  10. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

Nice work..........what else works to clean up burned area besides spoon knife?
    Sand, rocks?
    Are you using a bellows?
    I will get started on something in next day or two.

11. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Not exactly coal burning, but I did "burn through" my most recent kuksa project using a bow drill to make the finger holes. This idea was borrowed from my friend Kau'ilani Morehead who uses a bow drill to burn out the finger holes in atlatls he makes. It worked pretty well IMG_5928.JPG IMG_5929.JPG IMG_5935.JPG IMG_5941.JPG

HelRaiser, IW17 and Strigidae like this.
  12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thats awesome!

Caleb O likes this.
  13. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Thanks! Hopefully the burn in goes well.

Strigidae likes this.
  14. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Started the coal burn on the second kuksa. The burn itself went really well. I used mud around the lip of the container while burning the bowl (trick borrowed from Creek Stewart) to protect the thickness of the vessel. This burn is over halfway done (took a couple hours as I believe for some reason this piece of mesquite was denser than the last one I used). I unfortunately have a couple "death cracks" in the container and it won't hold liquid (these were already present in the piece and not due to the burn). Will end up trying to seal them with beeswax or pine/mesquite pitch glue. Anyway, photos.... IMG_5964.JPG IMG_5968.JPG

15. jeeter

jeeter Member

That's freakin' impressive; nice work! I may have to try that at some point. I'll make a mental note to look for some decent beech or river birch next time I'm out.

Caleb O likes this.
  16. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

It's a fun project for sure. Cool thing to do with the downtime by the fire if nothing else. Post up pics if you give it a go!