Canyon Ferry Lake Mission

Discussion in 'Search, Rescue and Technical Skills' started by Montanan, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Montanan

Montanan Member

Here is an odd mission that we recently had. This kid had earlier in the summer set the new world record for longest motorcycle ride across water. It was his attempt to set the new record for a night time ride that ended up costing him his life. From beginning to end this mission took us about 3 weeks. We eventually had to bring in an underwater expert with higher quality Sonar before we located his motorcycle and body. This was also interesting as it isn't very often (but I suspect the frequency will go up) that we have video evidence of what occurred during the emergency and that we were able to recover that video. The news article isn't the local paper but rather another state paper which does a better job and has a more cohesive article.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...cle_a90adfb0-56c5-561e-9ed9-3564f6782998.html

Jeff Randall and Reno Lewis like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Daaaamn......read the part about the buckle going around the paracord. Someone should have doublechecked his set up....

Sad. Young man too.

Reno Lewis likes this.
  3. Montanan

Montanan Member

yeah, I get the feeling that he didn't quite realize the risks he was running.

Reno Lewis likes this.
  4. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Wow, that sucks... So much could have been done to prevent that. Suppose the same could be said about damn near all accidents though.

Regardless, thanks for sharing that.

Bushman5 likes this.