Camping Meals

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Adventurer, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Traccer

Traccer Member

one of my fav camp meals is I freeze a full slab of pork ribs.. frozen solid stays frozen most of the day while hiking in to camp and setting up.. then I just hand it from branch over the fire to slow cook for an hour or two... me and the boys got to town on those ribs.. and gotta love the built in handles LOL

2. Traccer

Traccer Member

Added bonus.. in wet times.. pork fat makes starting fires crazy easy.. I also wanna try out red hog... but anyone looking for an amazing seasoning .. check out slap your mamma.. its to die for.. and if you don't want to slap your momma.. you can also look for punch your daddy.. its good as well.. just not as good as slap your momma ..

Zeek likes this.
  3. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Ramen noodles, spam, and more ramen noodles. Rice with any kind of cream soup. Hard to beat a pack of smoked sausage/bratwurst/etc over the fire. The etc is usually the best.

One of my favorite camping meals, ever, was 21 fresh boiled crawfish shared with @Patrick Rollins @Strigidae and five other people. The @RedEyedHog made the difference.

James Gibson makes some awesome hardtack that is excellent after about two days without food.

RedEyedHog, Zeek and mtngoat like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Mo info on the hard tack :)

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

You talking about the frozen ribs that are precooked from the store? There is one brand up the street in the store , its pre spice rubbed , pre cooked , frozen that you can just pop in oven. I mught try your idea instead this weekend

6. Traccer

Traccer Member

Nope raw pork ribs.. just freezen solid ..

7. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

Bushy, hardtack is pretty boring but it will last a very long time. It is 1 Cup of water, 2 Teaspoons of salt and 3 Cups of flour. A better quick bread is Bannock. I will dig out my recipe in a few minutes

Bushman5 and BlueDogScout like this.
  8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I’m always looking for new bannock versions to try. Pictures always go best with a recipe ;)

9. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

OK I am back. I could not find my cook book, and no I did not go to the garage.:rolleyes:
    Here is the Bannock recipe that I use;1 Cup of flour 1 Teaspoon of baking power( aluminium free), 1/4 teaspoon of salt and enough lard to make the dry ingredients moist. Place in a zip lock bag and seal it tightly. when you get to camp add enough water to bring the mixture to a dough consistency. Now you can fry it in a pan, bake it on a rock or form it around the end of a stick the size of your wrist and bake it over the coal till done and use it for a small bowl.

The best thing to do is experiment with the ingredients and find what you like best. There is no real hard and fast rule for making bannock. Using different kinds of flour, adding sweet or savory ingredients like raisins or herbs will make for interesting fare around the camp fire.

Zeek, Bushman5 and BlueDogScout like this.
  10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thanks