Camp security

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by satori, Dec 10, 2016.

1. satori

satori Member

What sort of things are you guys using for parameter security? Bear bangers? Pots and pans?

Looking for some ideas!

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

eye hooks, braided 20lb fishing line in green, tie off at one end, secure in the eye hooks all around your camp, free end ties to a cotter pin, cotter pin goes into bear banger pen launcher zip tied to a stake in the ground. The line is invisible. Ive had military guys miss it and set it off.

i spray the launcher and stake and bear banger flat green and brown. Also, i spray the braided fishing line with silicone spray, this keeps the rain from beading on the line and giving it away.

haven't painted this one yet. these pics show the basics. Camoflauge is required (flat green/brown paint on hooks, launcher and banger round) During the day its extremely difficult to see the line. 99% of people i have introduced this setup too, have to be shown where the line is , less than a foot from their legs.....they miss it. At night its invisible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see the line? or the launcher? nope. And thats on a bright sunny day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here it is...

[​IMG]

you can run however long of line you need. Braid has zero stretch. You can also keep it stealthy (no loud KABOOM) by using a rat trap. Intruder wont hear the snap.

however....

this tends to scare people away quickly.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  3. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Good use of braid outside of fishing. 20 pound braid is equivalent size to 6 pound mono (in other words, tiny -- 0.009 inches or 0.23mm in diameter). Given the slickness of braid, what knots are you using to tie off? And what led you to 20 pound, compared to lighter or heavier line?

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

easier to use than the 10 lb or 8lb tests... <<<braid THAT small and thin (hair thin) is a nightmare to tie in the field, and thats on a good warm day...never mind rainy or wet. I find the 20 LB braid easy to work with, easy to tie, and handles any abrasion (tree trunk bark ) better. 20lb braid is more than enough to handle something passing thru the secured zone and pull the pin on the security system.

i use a Palomar Knot on the cotter pin

[​IMG]

building a small Pelican case setup right now, with a 12V deep cycle and a LOUD car horn and pull switch to set it off.

Mountainmistwanderer likes this.
  5. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Palomar is good with braid. I recently switched to 15 pound braid, with a 6 or 8 pound fluorocarbon leader for fishing on my spinning rods. 15 is hard to work with on a good day. Great idea you have. And you can carry a lot for virtually no weight. I've thought about switching to braid to tarp guylines and such but haven't gotten around to it.

6. james gormley

james gormley Member

Tthats the same knot I use for stripers in the hudson river.
    Strong as hell

7. satori

satori Member

Awesome thanks for your tips bushman! Thats why i was asking because i was thinking of making a more digital / horn type setup but i like the bear bangers also! The rap trap one has me a bit confused though. If the intruder cant hear it i assume you cannot either so whats the point? I am sure i am missing something though

8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

rat trap mounts right at your camp. Trip line runs all around your camp, say about 100 - 200 feet out perimeter. Think of a big circle of line around your camp

ok bad drawing but you get the idea. [​IMG]

9. satori

satori Member

awww ok nice gotcha! thanks for the explanation! alot better then i could have done in paint!

10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I just go into the middle of nowhere where there are no other people .... :D If a Drop Bear or Yowie are going to snatch me up there is nothing a few hooks or pops in the night will do to stop it... :confused:;)

11. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

satori, Bushman5 and chorpie like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

baaaaahahahaaa! come on , that was one of few times i didn't set a perimeter alarm.

now i carry my alarm kit every time.

satori likes this.
  13. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

A few years back I picked up several rolls of braided fishing line in the 20lb to 50lb range when they came up on clearance at a local Dick's Sporting Goods store. While many of the spools were only 125 yards, there were several that were 300 yards and the cost was pretty good.

Just a suggestion to check out the clearance sections of such stores when you are in there.

14. Stone

Stone Member

This is part of what keeps me coming back
    to this forum again and again.

Floki, is that you?

satori likes this.
  15. Stone

Stone Member

PPMA10.

<Please pardon my A-10>

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016