Cameras AKA the way we help Remember and share what we have Seen

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 21, 2016.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I am sure i am like many around here that like to take a memory a little more permanent then i can remember. One of the ways i like to do this is by taking photos along the way :)

SO lets see and talk about the camera set ups we like to take or WOULD LIKE to have for our adventures :)

2. Nether

Nether Member

Ever since Panasonic (who makes some of the best & most competitive cameras, btw) came out with a P&S with a 1" sensor, that's the camera I've wanted. I'm tired of paying big monies for less than stellar D-SLRs...then having to buy lenses and haul them around.

A P&S that does all I need it to do would be great. Herein lies the DMC-FZ1000

3. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Most of the photos I take for me were taken with and are captured with formerly a Samsung Galaxy 5, now a 6.
    I recently bought a Sony RX100 II compact. Here are some recent examples.
    I used carry a lot of photo gear. No more. Travel light. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Well I will Necro my own old post!

Camera recommendations?
    Anything new and must have?
    What does everyone use?

5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Shooting a Nikon D7200 with several different lens' and a Nikon1 with a pair of lens' should the D7200 be too big to lug around.

Strigidae and RocketmanDane like this.
  6. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Still shooting my Sony but, I don't always have it with me.
    Upgraded phones to a new Samsung Galaxy S10 plus which sports an even better camera.

Up to 1TB Storage so I don't have to keep cleaning things out. And I can carry a lot of music.

Three lenses:

Display Type Dynamic AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
    Size 6.4 inches, 103.8 cm2 (~88.9% screen-to-body ratio)
    Resolution 1440 x 3040 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~522 ppi density)
    Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 6
    HDR10+
    Always-on display
    Platform OS Android 9.0 (Pie); One UI
    Chipset Exynos 9820 (8 nm) - EMEA/LATAM
    Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm) - USA/China
    CPU Octa-core (2x2.73 GHz Mongoose M4 & 2x2.31 GHz Cortex-A75 & 4x1.95 GHz Cortex-A55) - EMEA/LATAM
    Octa-core (1x2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3x2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4x1.78 GHz Kryo 485) - USA/China
    GPU Mali-G76 MP12 - EMEA/LATAM
    Adreno 640 - USA/China
    Memory Card slot microSD, up to 1 TB (uses shared SIM slot) - dual SIM model only
    Internal 128GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 8GB RAM, 1TB 12GB RAM

Camera:

12 MP, f/1.5-2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55", 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
    12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.6", 1.0µm, AF, OIS, 2x optical zoom
    16 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide), 1.0µm, Super Steady video
    Features LED flash, auto-HDR, panorama
    Video 2160p@60fps (no EIS), 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps, 720p@960fps, HDR10+, dual-video rec., stereo sound rec., gyro-EIS & OIS

I have the heavy duty Otter Box case.

It's always with me. Which is more than I can say about any other camera.

[​IMG]

RocketmanDane likes this.
  7. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

A sampling of examples.
    Close up to wide angle.

20191020_133420.jpg

20190903_121634.jpg

20190914_151135.jpg

20190904_181557.jpg

20190825_200503.jpg

20190901_111633.jpg

20190828_164247.jpg

20190922_045352.jpg

20190901_121057.jpg

20190922_044418.jpg

20190915_121255.jpg

20191020_162420.jpg

Adventurer, Ballenxj and Strigidae like this.
  8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@shaneadams90 What is the camera you were using at Bushcraft class? And or what would you recommend for a Camera?

9. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I use a Fujifilm XT2 and I have been VERY pleased with it... it takes great photos and 4K video and audio when using the Rode Video Pro mic. Overall I've been super pleased with it.

In video form: Rode mic with dead cat...great and inexpensive mic.
    IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

My progression of cameras...from back to front

Circa '88- Minolta srT201. 35mm

Circa '95-Nikon N70 35mm

Circa '08-Canon 5D - 12MP full frame

Circa '18- Fujifilm XT2 *super powerful camera in a small portable package...it has been super durable too.

IMG_7689.JPG

Attached Files:

Ballenxj and Strigidae like this.
  10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

SO.. If someone could afford 1/2 of what your newest one goes for do you have a recommendation?
    Ideally looking for something I could use for long range and panoramic shots.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  11. shaneadams90

You might be surprised at what you can find at B&H Photo in the USED department..very reputable company and often they have great deals.

Another great place to shop is FaceBook Market place. I've been looking for lens on FB market place and have some some great package deals around me.

One of the main things I like about the Fuji is how quickly I can make adjustments using the dials on top. It is very reminiscent of my old full manual camera in that my major controls are at my finger tips...not buried in some digital menu... the XT1 (predecessor to this one) has similar features. The XT3 (latest model) has been out for about 8 months now so you are starting to see XT2 hit the market quite a bit.

IMG_7841 copy 2.jpg

12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

It helps that I search for the right model to get a price. :) Big about $500 dollar difference in model names.

I might have a EPIC road trip in the works so a good camera is going to be a must!

13. shaneadams90

If you think you are going with the XT2 I would encourage you to spend some time on YouTube....TONS of great content on using this camera....

14. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

From around twenty years ago.
    [​IMG]

Strigidae likes this.
  15. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

These were cool back in the film days, because they fit nicely into a shirt pocket, and are full frame 35mm high quality cameras.
    [​IMG]

Strigidae and shaneadams90 like this.
  16. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I talked to my Dad who uses a Canon EOS D70 body for Astrophotography.
    He offered me the 2 lenses he bought it with as he doesn't ever use them.

He says they are:
    Canon EF 70-200mm with 1.2m to Infinity and 3m to Infinity
    And
    Canon EFS 18-25mm Macro down to 0.25m/ 0.8ft
    His description not mine so IDK what it all means..

Do you guys think these are ok lenses? I would just have to buy a body,
    OR pass and keep looking for another setup?

17. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

Do you plan on using Canon EOS gear? If so, take them, if not, keep looking. FWIW, Canon makes some mighty fine equipment, and their forte is their higher end lenses, which these are not. They are what are known as kit lenses, and are packaged with starter type cameras to offer an attractive price point. The numbers your Dad gave you are focal points, aka how close you can be and still attain focus. Just about all lenses will focus to infinity.
    Having said that, Sony has some very nice cameras now days as well. In fact, most major brands do.
    If you are not a serious photographer, you may be better off with a fixed lens point and shoot camera. They also have a nice selection.

18. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

IDK at the moment what gear i want to go with. I am not a serious photographer but would like to step it up a little in the future. Mostly outdoors, slow or not moving subjects.
    I know i want to do more then a simple point and shoot thou.
    1 thing i have been told is that i want a fast shutter speed.

19. shaneadams90

there are some very powerful point and shoot cameras out there that take phenomenal photos and offer a wide range of photographic opportunity. They are small, which means you will carry it MORE OFTEN.

When you move into DSLR cameras (swappable lens) there are a few things you need to understand.
    1. often the camera body is the CHEAPEST part of the package...you will spend way more in lenses than you will the body.

2. it is a larger package...which means you carry more stuff. In my heyday of taking photos it was NOT uncommon to add 15-20lbs of EXTRA gear to a backpack just as camera gear.

3. technical knowledge- you need to understand the limitations of your equipment/lens a little more to take pictures on at the end of the spectrum... the relationship of Fstop, aperture, shutter speed, ISO....all of these play a role in expanding your photo skillset.

20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....this.... photography is at it's core the manipulation/use of light to create an image. Each of the points here in are related to the transfer of light to a sensor that reacts to light;

Aperture - size of the hold letting in light
    Shutter Speed - how long the hole is open for
    ISO - how sensitive to light the sensor is
    White Balance - how the sensor deals with external influences to the light being passed through.

Often we understand what it is to take a great picture in certain circumstances but not actually what it is. If I offer you one piece of advice, once you have a DSLR or other camera that you intend to use in a mode other than "Auto" go to a community college or the like and do a "Introduction to Photography" course or the like. I had been waving cameras around since I was a teen and bought a better quality digital camera when I could (not a DSLR but one I could operate in a "Manual" mode). I could take a good picture back then and was doing things properly. That introductory course was the best thing I did, it made me understand what I was doing and why (the later is most important). This allowed me to better understand how I could change things to take better pictures and what I could do to take a picture in conditions I had never been able to before. Being sat in the room with someone who knows what they are doing and walked through these basics was much better than all the reading I had done before.

IW17, Delkancott and Strigidae like this.