Cairo and Alexandria "The Non-Touristy Tour"

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by SEMO, Apr 3, 2017.

1. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Nothing that I do is 'classified' but much of it has to remain vague.
    I met an old colleague and we traveled from Atlanta, through Paris, and into Egypt via Cairo.
    Cairo is a relatively small area to hold so many people. The news there is that there are 25 million people in Cairo. After being on the highways I believe it! Four marked lanes easily becomes 8 lanes of traffic at rush hour. Buses, cargo trucks, vans, passenger cars, and motorcycles all share the road with donkeys and wagons!
    As a westerner, I always find this fascinating. No matter where it is in the world.
    IMG_3273.JPG
    IMG_3274.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3428.JPG

We traveled the highway from Cairo to Alexandria with friend who live in country.
    My general rule is, if they are not nervous. I'm not nervous. If they start to get fidgety, then I get a little nervous. For the most part, everything went ok with the travels and neighborhoods were in.
    "Just don't stick your phone/camera out the window and take pictures."

IMG_3269.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3430.JPG
    IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG
    IMG_3456.JPG

C99c, gobblegobble, Slade and 7 others like this.
  2. SEMO

SEMO Member

What would a trip be without food? The best meal I had was a meal in an airport. We ate with the people, and they ate to exist; two meals a day. There was not much luxury in our food. Chicken was a premier meal. Pigeon, goat, and rabbit are common meats.
    Every breakfast was fava beans and a boiled egg. Cumin powder makes it edible. Wish I would have taken my Smoky C's! There were vegetables, but not safe to eat where we spent the week.
    IMG_3317.JPG
    IMG_3362.JPG IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG

Here are a few pics from the area I was in for most of the trip. It was western Alexandria, on the coast of the Mediterranean.
    IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3277.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3381.JPG
    IMG_3466.JPG

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Bushman5, gobblegobble, Slade and 9 others like this.
  3. SEMO

SEMO Member

We did catch the Pyramids of Giza! This was an awesome day. They were everything I expected, and more.
    The week had been a rough week (gunfire on the streets, sleep deprivation, nerves on edge, and food difficulties). The trip to the Pyramids was worth the other headaches.
    IMG_3479.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3544.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3569.JPG
    IMG_3603.JPG
    IMG_3561.JPG
    IMG_3490.JPG
    IMG_3538.JPG

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

5. ASH

ASH Member

I was trying to figure out what that was. Thanks for sharing, it is sad that such a cool, historic place can't be more enjoyable.

SEMO likes this.
  6. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing. That camel close up with the pyramids in the back could be a post card.

SEMO likes this.
  7. Theodore

Theodore Member

Dagwood, SEMO and Zeek like this.
  8. SEMO

SEMO Member

I saw a semi trailer stacked about 10' high. Wish I could have gotten a pic.

It was enjoyable, but not a place to take your family on vacation.

YW. He cooperated well for the photo.

They also uncovered a large statue last week in that region. There is much construction going on in Cairo. There will probably be much more unearthed.

Slade, Dagwood, Datilite and 2 others like this.
  9. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Thank you sharing. Very cool!

SEMO and Theodore like this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Member

The West coast of Newfoundland (The best coast)
    Thank you very much for posting your photos.
    Regards,
    Kevin

SEMO likes this.
  11. Squirrel

Squirrel Member

Thanks for sharing!

SEMO likes this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Great stuff mate. Glad it went well for you.

SEMO likes this.
  13. SEMO

SEMO Member

Cool. Glad to be able to.
    You are welcome.
    No problem.
    Glad we went two weeks ago instead of last week. We were super close to the location of one of the bombs that went off last Sunday.

Datilite, Slade and Zeek like this.
  14. santacruz

santacruz Member

Very cool trip. I love visiting ancient ruins. And other cultures. And seeing others visit them!

SEMO and Theodore like this.
  15. SEMO

SEMO Member

I have been to pyramids in Mexico, and to several mounds within the Cahokia culture here along the Mississippi River.
    Would live to visit Machu Picchu in Peru....one day.

Datilite, Zeek and santacruz like this.
  16. santacruz

santacruz Member

So many places to go! I was reading about those Mississippi River mounds a while back. Extremely interesting. There are some other ruins in Peru you'll have to see when you hit Machu Picchu. And don't forget Lake Titicaca! :D

Slade, SEMO and Zeek like this.
  17. SEMO

SEMO Member

If you ever get to the STLO area the Cahokia mounds and museums are worth the stop. There are mounds associated with that culture that stretch through Missouri, Tennessee, Ohio, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas. The serpent mounds in Ohio are also worth the stop if one is into this sort of thing.

Datilite and Slade like this.
  18. Slade

Slade Member

Thanks for the pics and write up. Good stuff.

Was just wondering if serpent mounds was related. There are also an additional network of lesser known Indian burial mounds here and elsewhere also I'm sure.

I have not traveled the world. I want to really bad. Egypt and Turkey seems like such interesting cultures in that part of the world. Having been there and made it out safely, are you happy for the visit during troubled times from an experience perspective, or if you could have your choice would you visit during a time of peace (assuming that is in the future at some point)

I just haven't been able to earmark the funds for travel. I really need to do better about a travel budget. Hard to justify for the experience vs. a tangible/long term life improvement purchase here. Kind of ridiculous that I have not traveled. Everyone that knows me always assumes I'm traveled until they find out I'm not which makes me feel even more certain I could get a lot more out of it than a normal person.

SEMO, Zeek and Theodore like this.
  19. SEMO

SEMO Member

What is peace in that part of the world? It seems that there is always an uproar of some sort. Quiet times are certainly easier on the nerves, but most of my trips have been to central and South America. I will say that, after being in Cairo and Alexandria, Mexico City now doesn't seem so bad. Most people in Mexico let you pass without stopping to stare and glare, as they have seen many gringos. I can also fake enough Spanish to get by. I cannot fake Arabic, and it seemed that I was the only white man some had ever seen on their street. We were, mostly, in neighborhoods and not in tourist areas. Certainly, around the pyramids the peddlers and guides were familiar with Caucasians. "American? American?" No, I'm from Georgia. They never knew the difference. Hah.

20. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

Alexandria is real adventure for people who have never been to Northern Africa or the Middle East, it is definitely not for the faint hearted. Blending in is the key. I found people there very aggressive at trying to sell things or give rides/tours, yet amazingly friendly and welcoming in the streets off the tourist trails.
    -RB

SEMO and C99c like this.