Boot for class in the South?? Waterproof or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, May 2, 2019.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

So I am attending Advanced bushcraft this fall.
    I am still narrowing down what hiking boots to buy and cannot decide if I want/ need waterproof boots or not.
    I’ve have worn boots on the extremes of temperature 100 plus degrees to well below freezing and wet and muddy to sandy desert. BUT not for long in humid conditions (I am assuming it is humid in Alabama in the fall).

SO the BIG question is if it is a good idea to wear waterproof boots in hot humid conditions?

I am assuming the answer is no.

2. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Just go with the boots you want to be wearing in the woods.

hma153, Strigidae and RocketmanDane like this.
  3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mountainmistwanderer the problem is I haven’t had much need for real woods type boots in about 5-6 years I’ve been living at the beach or rolling grass lands for even longer... Tennis shoes is all I have needed for play.. Combat boots for work... neither I am sure would be good for a E.S.E.E class....
    I’m really thinking Merrel Moab ventilators currently but Waterproof no waterproof is really what I think I am down to..

4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Your combat boots or tennis shoes should be fine. Youll be doing a lot of in camp work. Not a lot of intense hiking. Shoe choice is more pertinent for field survival classes. I wont stop you from buying a new pair of boots. We all need a new pair.

mtngoat, RocketmanDane and Bushman5 like this.
  5. Strigidae

As far as waterproof in hot humid id say it depends. If you are doing deep stream crossings then no. It will allow water in but not out. If you are trying to avoid getting your socks wet in damp grass or light rain then waterproof can be helpful. My two cents is that i hate waterproof and would rather have draining quick dry any day.

mtngoat and RocketmanDane like this.
  6. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

When I wear waterproof boots my feet end up getting sweaty.

RocketmanDane and Strigidae like this.
  7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Strigidae
    I’ve been thinking similaur about the waterproofing. Growing up where it rained 200 plus days per year waterproof shoes/ boots are a must.
    I remember wearing goretex lined boots in the desert thou and all I could do is swap my socks multiple times per day.

@OKcherokee I am thinking that’s what is going with my current boats ( timberlands)

So over all I’m swaying towards non waterproofing but we will see

8. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

@RocketmanDane I'm going to be at that class and I’m wearing Solomon non waterproof trail shoes. I have jacked up feet so I have to go with comfort.

Most likely be walking around in Crocs also

Strigidae likes this.
  9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I wear waterproofs, Danner Acadia, Bates USMC, Magnums with Gore-Tex. I hate having wet feet and I will carry extra socks if need be. If I going thru water over 8" I take boots off to wade. In summer standard mil spec jungle boots are fine, but in fall/winter I go for dry. Wear something that give you good ankle and footbed support in off road terrain. Change socks.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  10. Strigidae

Sweaty feet are still wet feet. I hope it snows on you all

RocketmanDane and mtngoat like this.
  11. Swampdog

Swampdog Member

I spend a lot of time hunting deer and wild hogs in the swamps of Florida, I wear neoprene knee-high MUCK BOOTS with snake gaiters over them.

They keep your feet dry, easy to get on and off, and my feet don't perspire too much in them. Wear a good pair of synthetic socks on your feet to help wick away moisture.

RocketmanDane and mtngoat like this.
  12. Strigidae

Thats a good point. Socks make the difference. Darn tough is my brand of choice.

OKcherokee likes this.
  13. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Don’t worry, I’ll have my muck boots in case that happens. We will get @Patrick Rollins to show us how to make bushcraft snowballs. :D

Strigidae likes this.
  14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Strigidae @mtngoat @anrkst6973 @Swampdog
    Thank you! All good point and thought.

I have pretty banged up feet myself so I rely a lot on comfort also. I was smart a few years ago and got fitted for custom/ insoles and swap them between shoes and boots as needed.

As far as socked I do use good synthetic hiking type socks when wearing boots and am on a preemptive sock swapping schedule when I am playing outdoors. I have used the Darn tough socks before so I will look into those again.

I have been thinking and thinking on the waterproof boots. I have a decent pair of Timberlands now that are waterproof so I will likely bring those JIK and now focus on non waterproof boots/ shoes. I am heading towards a REI + cabelas later this month so I think I’m gonna try on as many boots as I can and choose from there.

@Strigidae If it snowed it would be no problem for me. :) I practically own stock in goretex jackets and pants ( it’s a long story...) to the point where I carry extras in the car just to give to homeless people when it rains. PLUS. They are one of my favorite items to offer up in trade :)

Thanks again folks!

mtngoat likes this.
  15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I just wanted to update.
    I picked up a “used” pair on keens Targhee II waterproof shoes for a steal and they did not appear to have ever been worn (still had stickers attach to the bottom that were clean :) )

I’ve worn them in the rain, heat and humidity and they have worked perfect!
    I am one of those folks that changes their socks every time I take my shoes or boots off such as when I get home. I haven’t notice any Damp / sweaty even normal socks. If I plan to change my socks at a regular interval JIK during the class (every couple of hours as I normally due out of habit any way) I don’t think I will have any problems :)

mtngoat likes this.
  16. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Waterproof boots for what we do are pretty much useless. I have yet to be on an adventure where comfortable "waterproof" boots actually worked due to wet areas. I do wear Asolo Gore-Tex but one step in a creek and the water is over the top. What I have found is better than anything is to have a good set of gaiters for creek hopping. They will not keep all the water out but they will keep you from getting flooded when stepping in water over the top of your boot. Humidity? What's that? In the South nothing is going to keep you dry. Nothing. Just enjoy it :)

As for Advanced Bushcraft, just bring flip-flops. Seriously. This is an easy class with no hiking.