bleach solution as disinfectant.

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by JV3, Apr 4, 2020.

1. JV3

JV3 Member

an e-mail i wrote to family and friends just now...copy and pasted here in case you also know some sheeple and i'll save you the typing :) let me know if there's incorrect info or i missed anything so i can resend them an e-mail.

How to disinfect stuff against COVID-19 and other nasty stuff?

I'm surprised a lot of people don't know that you can use diluted bleach to disinfect stuff. A friend recently mentioned he's using diluted vinegar :eek: There's no scientific evidence that works against COVID-19! I'm sorry for the harsh words I'm about to say but some of you are damn clueless! Unless you work in the medical field or at least can provide a direct link from the CDC, EPA or some other scientific website (here in the US: CDC = Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. EPA = Environmental Protection Agency) then please don't give advice you heard from a friend's cousin's grandma what she used back in the day...It's dangerous and can downright get someone killed!

It's been keeping me up at night so I have to e-mail this...70% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol is ideal since it stinks a lot less and dries fast but that stuff is hard to find nowadays and it's expensive if you need to use massive amounts of it. We started disinfecting amazon boxes and groceries (canned or boxed goods) and leaving them outside for a few hours to dry before opening them/bringing inside the house...Needless to say, that requires a lot of expensive alcohol.

In comes bleach (Clorox is one brand name for it but it's basically around 6% sodium hypochlorite)...It's way cheaper and you can find it easier than alcohol. Here's a cheat sheet I wrote for family and friends...Basically, mix bleach and plain water and spray that onto stuff and leave it for a few hours to dry. It will stink so best to leave the items outside to dry...Unless you already stashed gallons of it it's too late now so save the alcohol for your hands and other higher priority items.

[​IMG]

Some conversions:
    1 gallon = 128 oz.
    1/2 gallon = 64 oz.
    1/4 gallon = 32 oz.
    1 quart = 32 oz, 4 cups or about 1 liter.
    8 tablespoons = 4 oz.
    1 tablespoon = 1/2 oz.

To make a bleach solution to spray on stuff (leave it for a few hours to air dry):
    128 oz (1 gallon water) = add 1/2 cup (4 oz) bleach to it.
    64 oz water = add 1/4 cup (2 oz) bleach to it.
    32 oz water = add 1 oz (2 tablespoons) bleach to it.

Here are other disinfectants you can use: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2

If you're not sure, look at the label in the back for an EPA registration # and paste that in the search box in the website above and see if it shows up.

If you don't have a water filter or can't boil it you can also use bleach to disinfect water for drinking. 1 gallon clear water = add 8 drops of bleach to it, mix it well and wait minimum 30 minutes before drinking it. If water is cloudy or stuff floating in it, filter it through a bandana or t-shirt, then add 16 drops of bleach to it, mix it well and wait minimum 30 minutes before drinking it.

You can also sterilize a water container (if for some reason you ran out of dishwashing soap or it's plastic so you can't boil water in it) by adding 1 teaspoon (64 drops) bleach to 1 quart (32 oz, 4 cups or about 1 liter) water and shake it vigorously and leave it in there. If there's a cap for it make sure to turn it upside down and open the cap to let some of the solution out so the mouth/threads get disinfected too. Wait minimum 30 minutes and pour out the solution. Let it air dry or rinse with clean water and now you can use it.

All of the above info I read directly from the CDC and EPA websites (see links below)...As for disinfecting water for drinking - it's common knowledge among the hiker/camping crowd...Now I can sleep :)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/disinfecting-your-home.html
    https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2
    https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-b_make_water_safe_flyer_508.pdf
    https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/emergency-disinfection-drinking-water

Kevin, dhunley1, martin_j001 and 5 others like this.
  2. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Good info.

I’ve been looking for bleach to buy for a month now.

Not out of any panic, we just like to use it on our whites in the laundry. And we are out.

JV3 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Thank you Jay

JV3 likes this.
  4. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Excellent post! I was also surprised by how many people I work with didn’t know about using bleach for all this, and sadly they’re biologists.

For those that can’t find it, I was able to buy a box of 3 1gal jugs at Sam’s Club two weeks ago. Maybe check there if there’s one in your area.

JV3 and Zeek like this.
  5. Zeek

Zeek Member

Just don't bother stockpiling bleach. It's not stable and degrades to salt and water after 6 months to a year.

Better to look at chlorine for pools that includes a stabilizer, like Sodium Dichloro S-Triazinetrione (Dichlor), for longer term storage.

JV3, IW17, The Marsh Gorilla and 2 others like this.