Automatic VS Manual transmissions....

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Bushman5, Oct 4, 2017.

?

What do you prefer for your 4x4 rig?

1. Automatic Transmission

48.0%
  2. Manual Transmission

52.0%
  1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

What transmission choice do you prefer, Automatic or Manual?

Automatic PROS:

- allows the driver to navigate tricky sections without constantly clutching/changing gears
    - better for towing heavy loads
    - infinitely VARIABLE gear ratios
    - Can build rpms for hard launches out of tricky sections
    - can be set up with different torque converters and aftermarket valve bodies for better performance
    - fuel economy is on par these days with Manuals
    - some autos have various modes (sand/snow/mud/hill climb/tow/eco etc etc to change the gear switch intervals and save fuel

Automatic CONS:

- more moving parts
    - unless equipped with aftermarket coolers, chance of heat build up, fluid degradation, fire
    - more spots to leak, snag (hoses)
    - expensive to rebuild
    - non field serviceable
    - your hooped if it fills with water and silt

Manual PROS:

- simple construction/fewer complicated parts
    - field serviceable
    - can get waterlogged , and after draining and refilling with oil can still run
    - cheaper to maintain and service
    - tons of aftermarket clutch paks available
    - hard to burn the gear oil
    - no electronics compared to autos)
    - can be driven without the clutch if your a trucker and really good at matching rpm's
    - rig can be bump started if battery dead
    - rig can be coasted with engine off (dangerous if you don't know what your doing)

Manual CONS:

- more pedals to use (can be tricky when hanging out of the drivers door, on a steep sideways incline thru a rock garden, trying to see......while navigating three pedals and steering)
    - clutch can burn up trying to get out of sticky mud or up steep hills with a load
    - master and slave clutch cylinders can blow out
    - gears can be broken and come out the side of the case if driven hard and you pop a shift at the wrong moment
    - fixed gear ratios
    - engine can stall out if in too high a gear. This can be catastrophic if your trying to go up a ledge or rock garden and the engine suddenly quits.

add more Pros / Cons of either in your post.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Datilite likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Personally I prefer an auto (even though i'm a trucker and drive manual all day long). I like the variable ratios, the performance in snow and mud and sand and the fact I don't have to concentrate where my feet are while navigating tricky sections.

Both my 4x4's have autos, however both have massive plate and tube steel (30,000 GVW) aftermarket coolers and remote spin on filters , as well as full synthetic REDLINE Hi Temp ATF (in the Tracker) and full synthetic MOBIL1 Transmission fluid in the Jeep. Those coolers get hot shedding excess heat while crawling slowly up LONG mountain roads in 4 lo with heavy loads of camping gear.

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

I think a manual would be better for rock crawling but what you and I do...trails, fire roads and such I think auto is better
    For reasons listed above

I would add it's probably tough to have morning coffee whilst wheeling with a manual

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  4. junglebum

junglebum Member

I love manual trans most of my cars have been manual and the fact that my wife can't drive stick drives me up a wall.. because now I have to have 3 vehicles 1 stick and 2 auto

Delkancott likes this.
  5. Zeek

Zeek Member

Manual... cuz I'm old school and don't give a sheeit. :D

Datilite and Dagwood like this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Out here if you have an auto box in your 4x4 you also fly a rainbow flag from the aerial....

McKROB, chorpie and Zeek like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

ya'll missing out on the power of an Auto. ESP in SAND and SNOW.........(there is sand in Aus....fyi) , among other things.

take hill starts for example.....you stall out on a steep hill/rockcrawl in a manual , you slide backwards. I dont care how SKILLED or bad ass or how veteran you are are at slapping a stick....your gonna roll backwards. This can flip your rig. An Auto can be started on a hill with ZERO roll back.

Same thing applies if you need to BACK UP a trail line. There is LAG TIME in an manual.....that may result in you rolling FORWARD, into a dangerous situ. With an Auto, there is no rolling forward.

there are so many advatages to an Auto trans for 4x4ing. To say its "rainbow flag" to have a auto tranny, is ignorance (sorry Andy......I'm not flipping you the Trudeau Bird here........).

old school 4x4 used to be manual and nothing else. Tech has come a long way. If combined with aftermarket coolers , synthetic fluids, aftermarket filters, extra capacity deep pans, and aftermarket valve bodies, there is no reason to fear an auto.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/1308-gearboxing-the-transmission-debate/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...omatic-transmission-which-is-better-off-road/

http://australian4wd.com.au/automatic-driving.html

lets also factor in oil leaks.....

if your rear main seal is leaking oil......and you have a Manual...your gonna oil slick the clutch disc material and slip your clutch or glaze it. Effectively this ruins the clutch.

with an auto, not an issue. A little oil in the ATF is not going to affect your transmission.

may I also point out the US tanks and many others run ALLISON auto transmissions? :)

thats SEVERE DUTY (50 ton rig) right there.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Dagwood and Zeek like this.
  8. Zeek

Zeek Member

I think you're correct @Bushman5 but your poll question is which one do you prefer not which one is best.

Bushman5 likes this.
  9. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

I just plain suck at driving stick, never owned one and never really had drive one. Plus it's too damn hard to reach back and smack your kids while shifting! Haha jk

Let the "useless Millennials" comments commence....

Bushman5 and Dagwood like this.
  10. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

I believe Manual transmissions belong in muscle cars not 4wd vehicles

Klynesquatch and Zeek like this.
  11. Zeek

Zeek Member

Oh boy... this next generation. :)

12. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Huhwhat?

Zeek likes this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

.... he means your quote below is "crazy young person talk" ... ;)

Zeek likes this.
  14. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I learned how to drive on an unsycronized transmission(you had to double clutch). Not saying I would not like to have a 1950 Chevy pickup but in town it would be a pain.

15. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Physically I'm older than him

16. Andy the Aussie

....me too ....but I still act 15 most of the time.

Delkancott and Zeek like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Tomatoes / Tomatoes :D

Zeek likes this.
  18. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

One place I used to work we would spend 1-2 hours driving each way through the scrub and up mountains on tracks made with the 4x4s ( 2 gq patrols and 3 fj45 cruisers) stalled hill starts in a manual where something to be practiced before you where allowed to drive up the hills. I'll try and describe the method.

Upon stalling the vehicle don't touch the clutch leave in gear and apply the breaks.

Apply the handbrake and while keeping your foot on the break peddle engage the clutch and change into reverse gear ( we should be in low range).

Now having released the clutch peddle release the handbrake, the car is held with break peddle and reverse.

Now don't touch the clutch slowly release the breaks while starting the vehicle, now reverse back down the hill under engine power until you reach a spot you feel comfortable having another go from.
    It helps greatly if you have a friend to act as a spotter

This can also be used to take off in first low range if your only option is to go forward but is extremely hard on your starter motor and battery, also if the car is loaded right up and the incline majorly steep it wont work trying to go forward.

Yes I have used this method before numerous times, it can also come in handy if you know you can't make it over the crest or obstacle to stall it and restart in reverse to go back down for more momentum or another line.

This is what worked for us if you try this method it's on you and definitely not for a beginner.

Strigidae and Bushman5 like this.
  19. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

Saying that I think an auto is better if you want to do lots of rock or beach driving

Bushman5 likes this.
  20. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

A manual can do hill starts with no roll back too.

Put in first Lo range while holding the truck with the foot brake.
    Bring up the clutch.
    The engine braking will hold you (as long as your truck is Diesel)
    With both feet off the pedals crank the starter motor over.
    The engine will fire and the truck will head up the hill without rolling back an inch.

This technique is taught by Land Rover off road driving instructors. Done it lots of times, works a treat. It does feel very weird the first time you do it though!

Zeek likes this.