Anyone know the history of the TAK 1?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by WOODSDEVIL, Feb 7, 2022.

1. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

I've always admired the OKC TAK 1, which I seem to recall having a RAT triangle emblem originally. I was wondering if anyone can give me the history of that model...is it the first RAT knife? When was it introduced? Was it a joint design by Jeff & Mike? I see there is a TAK 2 come out now. . .did Randall's have any input on that one? Thanks much for any info!

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Pretty sure that was a design by @Jeff Randall and @Mike Perrin .. that was before my time so maybe one of them will chime in at some point..

3. erik

erik Member

I don't remember the history of it - if it was designed before or after the split, but it was one of my favorite knives for quite a while, especially the D2 version.
    If ESEE had made one with no choil, I'd have been in heaven.
    the only difference I know of between the TAK1 & 2 is the wood scales instead of micarta.

4. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

We hate naming knives. It is always a chore. So the first in that line was the RTAK. SO we decided the next would be the TAK. And if we had followed suit the next one would have been the AK then the K but then what? SO we abandoned the idea after the TAK.)
    Mike

Adventurer, Strigidae, erik and 2 others like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I still have an RTAK around here somewhere. And a RAT5.... I need to find the 5 as I think it would make a good permanent addition to the gear box in my TLC.

Strigidae likes this.
  6. Rustingshack

Rustingshack Member

I've been lookin at the tak too. The utilitac have any relation? I got one and its a.nice little knife.

7. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Joe Pardue (Mel Purdue’s son) designed the OKC Utilitac. So guessing no relation to ESEE/RAT.

8. anomad

anomad Member

So where does an RTAK2 fit in? My example is a very good knife, regardless of pedigree.

[​IMG]

This time of year is great for doing some vegetation management. One of the things I enjoy is killing big ass vines growing up into the canopy. It works great for that. Cut out a section about eye level so you can see it's a dead vine.
    Just remember to spray down the blade if it's poison ivy you chop. They are a very woody thick and hairy vine when mature. I wear safety glasses when I think of it too. I need to be more disciplined about that.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. erik

erik Member

The Junglas is sort of an RTAK3 -- it had a few refinements that made it more comfortable to use, even though they weren't particularly easy to spot as a casual glance.
    OTOH the RTAK2 has been through several significant changes over the past 10 years -- different steels, different thicknesses - so it's not really the same knife it was when they split.

The Marsh Gorilla and anomad like this.