Any using the Leupold MK2 IMS 1-piece scope mount?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by The Marsh Gorilla, Jan 7, 2019.

1. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I’ve been reading reviews on this mount and the Aero Precision ultralight SPR 1-piece mounts for over a week then found the Leupold on sale at Brownells and ordered it cause the price was a lot lower than anywhere else I’ve seen.
    https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...ver-scope-mount-sku526000159-88641-99902.aspx

I’m just curious if anyone else’s tried it and your thoughts on it. I picked up a Leupold VX2 2-7x33mm on closeout at Bass Pro a week ago for under $150 and plan to mount it to my 308 AR. I figured at $69 for the mount I won’t take a loss if I don’t care for it and wanna sell it to get the Aero later.

Zeek likes this.
  2. IW17

IW17 Member

I have the Vortex version on my coyote gun. If I had to do it over I'd go with a two piece system. I have mine as far back as it will go and I could still bring it back a touch more to get the proper eye relief. If it was a two piece system I could bring the from mount back another half inch or more to get it where I like.

Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Do you shoot nose to charging handle? I’m in the habit of shooting that way, I’ve been using a Burris PEPR with a Leupold vari-x ii 3-9x50mm on my Bushmaster Predator and it’s worked out well. That’s what pushed me towards another 1-piece. I just wanted something made in the US instead of another chicom Burris mount. The vx2 2-7x I picked up has 4” or so of eye relief, most I’ve had on any scope so far.

Zeek likes this.
  4. IW17

IW17 Member

I don't, and honestly I should do it. I know it's proper but I just find from a seated position using sticks it's a pita. Also I'm using a Vortex diamondback so ymmv. It's a solid system. I guess I just don't see the big step forward.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  5. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Totally understand that! Shooting through and ACOG and the pop up’s arpiture read got me shooting that way.

Which diamondback do you have? I’ve got the 4-12x40mm on my 7mmRM A-bolt. Damn nice scopes for the $$$.

Zeek likes this.
  6. IW17

IW17 Member

I've got the 3-9x40 on my AR and the 4-12 on my 22-250 bolt gun. They are great scopes. I wish I picked up a few extra when they were still under $150. Still hard to beat for around $200.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  7. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Yes indeed! My son received a Crossfire II 3-9x40mm from my folks for Christmas that we mounted on his AR, I was surprised at how clear it was for it’s price. I’m still partial to the diamondbacks as the best value from Vortex. I’ve gotten to look through and shoot a few rifles with viper pst scopes and they’re nice, but for that money I’d buy a Leupold. With the diamondbacks going up in price and Leupold coming out with the vx-freedom line around that same price I’m likely to start getting those as I need more scopes. I just lucked out finding the vx2 2-7x33mm for $129 because it was discontinued and replaced by the vx-freedom. I really like Vortex, I’m slightly partial to Leupold more so because I’ve grown up hunting with a lot of older guys and friends that have vx2’s and vx3’s that have stood the test of time and taken some accidental abuse and never lost zero. I also like that their made entirely in the US and the money spent goes to American workers. I just recently learned that they’ll do upgrades of the adjustments and internal cleaning on older models for $90-100, I’m contemplating sending in my 90’s era vari-x ii 3-9x50mm to get the 1/2 moa friction turrets upgraded to 1/4 moa click turrets.

IW17 likes this.