another overnighter: kifaru sawtooth and medium stove.

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by JV3, Jan 24, 2020.

1. JV3

JV3 Member

first trip out with the sawtooth...perfect timing to test the new shelter since it snowed then freezing rain overnight then high wind gust the next day.

[​IMG]

within minutes of starting the stove the interior was warm enough to melt the snow on the shelter...i should've used the side tie outs though so i wouldn't have had to get out and scoop out the snow off the walls as much. that's what i like about a hammock setup - set it once and forget it even in heavy snowstorm.

[​IMG]

there are cordage and cord locks near the top of the door for venting.

[​IMG]

it was four years ago that i sold my supertarp and switched to a hammock full time...i definitely missed a stove's instant heat and no smoke. it's very easy to start too - you can just stuff it with your largest fuel and kindling in one go and more than likely it'll burn the big stuff within minutes.

[​IMG]

this medium ikea bag is helpful as a guide for me for how much wood i'll need. if i fill that with hardwood then i know i'll have enough fuel even if i start the stove around lunch time and keep it going until dinner so i usually process about a bag and a half and i'm good for an overnighter with some to spare for breakfast next day if i wanted to.

[​IMG]

definitely overdid it with the food again! i only ate half of it.

[​IMG]

the only time i used my knife on this trip...i started the stove with just twigs, birch bark and pjcb.

[​IMG]

the whole shelter smelled like bacon!

[​IMG]

took a nap and woke up to a wet butt...i always keep water in my pants' pocket as part of my psk (forgot to take it off before laying down) and for some reason the cap worked itself loose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a stove is a game changer...within minutes all my stuff is dry again. it's all radiant heat so no risk of burning your stuff unless it touches the stove directly. i draped my wet blanket (kifaru doobie - not sure if it has a dwr coating but it got wet for sure) over my legs in front of the stove to dry it out.

[​IMG]

JMick, Bozho, Datilite and 6 others like this.
  2. JV3

JV3 Member

sacred bacon! i couldn't help but think about woods walker...i was actually in the middle of re-watching all his heated shelter videos these past few weeks while i wait for my shelter and stove to arrive when i heard of his passing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the sawtooth feels easily twice as roomy as my old supertarp both width and height-wise...i'm sitting down on a helinox folding chair and my legs are stretched out and i still have plenty of room to spare front and back...as a bonus my head isn't even touching the roof still unlike in the supertarp if i used a chair...bald folks like me know how big a deal that is! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stuff it full of split wood and it becomes one angry stove! i don't have scientific data but on my supertarp i used a titanium stove and i felt like i had a hard time keeping that stove really hot for awhile. i definitely don't remember feeling too hot in that shelter even after stuffing it full of split oak whereas it was easy to get the interior too hot with this stainless stove if i wanted to...my guess is the stainless steel absorbs the heat better and radiates it whereas the titanium just lets most of the heat escape through the pipe.

[​IMG]

the heat becomes unbearable if you open the door...this is perfect if you're coming in from the outside and want to warm up fast.

[​IMG]

depending on where you pile on the wood inside you can create a really hot spot for water boiling and a cooler area for simmering your food.

[​IMG]

3. JV3

JV3 Member

a little late night boozing (bulleit bourbon - my favorite) and dessert :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i ended up bringing the kielbasa home untouched...i was all bacon'd out.

[​IMG]

the only thing the sawtooth needs is an orange cordage on the door's interior zipper pull to make it easier to find it in the middle of the night especially since it's angled away from you. also it got buried in snow and freezing rain froze the first few inches of it and the cordage would've made it easier to break it free...worst case though i would just unzip the top one to get out so no biggie.

[​IMG]

orange cordage down! i didn't realize one of the stove pipe ring cordage got pressed against the pipe and melted it.

[​IMG]

the next day was very windy so i tied the doors back and pulled all the stakes out except the bare minimum to see how it behaves under high wind gusts...also easy way to dry out the condensation before packing it in.

[​IMG]

the left over ash from several hours of burn time.

[​IMG]

still had plenty of left over wood - easily enough for lunch and dinner...only con is you will have to do a lot of sawing in exchange for using far less wood compared to an open fire...so i can't say that a wood stove is superior in every way over an open fire...a lightsaber would be a game changer though!

[​IMG]

snowstorm and freezing rain (i love the sound of rain hitting the shelter while i sleep!) on the first part but blue skies the next day on the hike out...my kinda overnighter weather!

[​IMG]

jdh, JMick, Bozho and 10 others like this.
  4. JV3

JV3 Member

some random videos...boiling water:

cooking bacon...i'm going to play this in a loop when i'm boozing at home :)

stove door open:

stove door closed…creaking sounds:

windy morning:

jdh, Datilite, Bozho and 8 others like this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Dude!!! Im sooo jealous of that shelter!!! It looks amazing!!!

6. C99c

C99c Member

Nice set up. I think my wife and I may be picking up a similar shelter and stove this year.

The Marsh Gorilla and JV3 like this.
  7. CWB

CWB Member

I like everything about this outing. BTW, is that a Fiddleback Arete that you bought from me?

8. JV3

JV3 Member

thanks! part of the reason why i bought another heated shelter is i wanted to convince a few friends to try camping...guaranteeing instant heat if they wanted it makes my case stronger.

thanks! great time to get in on it since there are many more makers now than it was even just a few years ago.

thanks! yes, it's an arete but i bought it from another member.

CWB likes this.
  9. CWB

CWB Member

I think someone may have bought that one from me originally

10. JV3

JV3 Member

i bought it from "other memory" a year ago. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sold.1636632/

if you have another one or know someone with a similar handle color (or orange preferrably) i'm interested in a backup :)

The Marsh Gorilla and CWB like this.
  11. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Nice post JV. I wish we could get Yuengling in Texas!

12. CWB

CWB Member

Yours has orange stripes and mine was white. other than that they looked alike. great knife.

13. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

Good stuff! I absolutely love the sawtooth.

JV3, The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  14. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

They're bearproof too!

15. Patrick Rollins

Don't listen to him JV3, that's not entirely true.

JV3, The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  16. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Just a word of caution:

Do Not....I repeat.....DO NOT....put damp wood on TOP of the stove to dry it out and fall asleep... @Patrick Rollins tried to kill me in Pisgah !!!

JV3, Adventurer and Strigidae like this.
  17. Patrick Rollins

It did dry it out though!

18. JV3

JV3 Member

thanks! i need to stash a chainsaw or something in my most frequented areas though...i've forgotten how much a pain it is to process wood small enough to fit inside the stove...that stove gets hungry on a cold night.

mental note: do not hire patrick as an assassin :eek:

19. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Excellent stuff mate !!!!!!!! That makes me VERY jealous !!!!!! I am taking off bush for a week first thing tomorrow though !!! Lots of rain forecast but I could care less !!!

JV3 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  20. Patrick Rollins

Yeah it takes lots of sawing to get stove sized pieces for sure.

JV3 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.