Another gun holster question

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by .357 mag, Sep 11, 2016.

1. C99c

C99c Member

2. fmrranger

fmrranger Member

I'm squeezing the sh*t out of this, and the leather can't collapse around the trigger guard and even get close to the trigger. Plus we're talking about 1911's, you would need to have the safety off in addition to squeezing the grip safety, impossible!
    You use what you want though, to each his own.
    [​IMG]

C99c likes this.
  3. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

Only if the owner is a putz, and uses his leather way beyond its worn out date! Milt Sparks VM2 will give a good 10 years service, after that, quit being cheap, buy a new one! $120-150 for 10 years, so $12-15 per year, you got your money's worth. Buy a new one before it gets soft! Kydex is great, but not infallible, I've seen more broken kydex than soft worn out leather in my years of carrying a firearm, professionally, and otherwise!

C99c and fmrranger like this.
  4. fmrranger

fmrranger Member

Amen brother!

C99c likes this.
  5. Joelski

Joelski Member

Pardon me fellas. I don't carry a 1911, just speaking from my bank of learned and lived experiences. I defer to your far superior knowledge on the subject and leave you to it, thanks.

6. fmrranger

fmrranger Member

Yeah well the OP specifically asked about a 1911 so................

7. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

My question in general was for people that carry big heavier firearms rather than the subcompact autos. My range officer weights 31.5oz unloaded. Almost twice the weight as my G43. All around I shoot the 1911 way better so if I can carry it comfortable I want to.

As far as leather I've heard about getting to the trigger but haven't been able to with any of the holsters I've handled. I still prefer Kydex but each to his own.

Thanks for everyone's help!

8. Joelski

Joelski Member

People drill on clearing, but I don't think they take holstering nearly as seiously. 2 weeks ago a guy AD'd himself in the leg while holstering his gun... with his finger still on the trigger. At that point it doesn't matter what kind of gun or holster material. Practice makes perfect. Or at least safe!

Marty W likes this.
  9. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

When I carried 1911s (a long time ago) I generally carried IWB in either a Milt Sparks VMII or SSII or an Andrews Leather McDaniel II or TT Gunleather Mike's Special. This was before I went all kydex. The holsters listed did well with big, heavy guns. If you want leather I'd recommend those. I too believe reinforced tops are crucial and definitely aid in safe reholstering.

For kydex there are plenty of folks making kydex versions of the above - especially the SSII style holsters. I am using a kydex version from JM Custom Kydex now for my P320. Dark Star Gear makes one too that looks great.

10. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Milt Sparks Nexus, 25 deg cant holds the gun close and tilted forward for great concealment and the neodymium magnetic belt loop system is awesome. The magnetic belt loops are like snaps but close very easily around belt.
    [​IMG]

Marty W likes this.
  11. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok.. Went to field and stream today to look at high priced stuff as always. Picked up a galco kingtuck for $50. It fits the gun perfect. Sucks the grip in tight to the body and have no problem covering with a teeshirt.

12. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I really like my Milt sparks summer special

fmrranger likes this.