Air Rifles...

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by ny700, Feb 2, 2018.

1. ny700

ny700 Member

6B544147-516A-4D64-967C-260D570B77C1.jpeg 9A4AF223-F1F7-43A7-A6D7-11638BDD1CB4.jpeg so with my new purchase I figure I would open a thread not sure I’ve seen a dedicated thread on air rifles in a while.

I’m sure like most of you I started shooting with a BB gun then later upped my game to an AIR rifle. Mine was an RWS 45 in .177. Wish I still had it. It had died from years of neglect and they wanted so much to repair it I just threw it out. As a kid when I got it about the age of 11 or 12 I wasn’t strong enough to cock it. I had to put the bit of the rifle on the ground and put my leg over it and use my whole body to break the barrel to cock it but it was awesome.

So recently I purchased a bit of a holy grail piece for me, a Crosman MAR177. It was a short lived venture I believe it was only distributed for about 5 years, I think the initial cost which was upwards of $800 turned people off. It is a PCP .177 match grade AR15 upper. That’s right it mates to a milspec AR15 lower (effectively making it a serieled firearm so all rules apply probably another reason for the stunting of sales)
    I just got it out for it’s first test 10 quick shots offhand with a sling at 10m in my garage. The sling wasn’t fitted the lighting bad but it shot flawlessly and I think once dialed in has amazing accuracy potential. Because I have it mounted to my national match lower it’s limited to a heavy (for a match air rifle) 4.5# trigger (milazzio krieger two stage) but still this should be bad A$$ once it’s set up for me.

Only think now is I need to get a set of iron sights to match my national match rifle upper

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. ny700

ny700 Member

2CC6C972-BD47-439B-BFF2-74D99DD528A8.jpeg So this is a supported 10 shot group at 10m. The first shot after charging the rifle was low. The next 9 grouped. I’ll have to monitor to see if that is going to be the norm after first having charged the rifle

Paycheck likes this.
  3. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

Some PCP rifles suffer from valve lock at pressures higher than optimal. Basically, the air in the reservoir pushes on the valve and the resistance prevents the valve stem from opening all the way. Try filling it slightly lower.

I have a custom Crosman 1377, with flat top valve and piston, aluminum barrel band, LW match barrel, TKO break, and steel breech. I don't use it as much as I'd like, but I did take some rats with it.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.