A weekend trip along Witt Road and other trails.

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by R Stowe, Oct 10, 2017.

1. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I knew that after Overland Expo I'd be itching to get out on the trails and as it turns out I had some gear to review as well. With that in mind I asked Dad if he'd want to accompany me on a very rushed trip last weekend. We showed up Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground on Friday just as the sun went down and got the tent up.

[​IMG]

Afterwards, we sat around and I played around with the camera a bit hence the shot above.

[​IMG]

The next day we refueled and hit Witt Road just outside of Tellico Plains. This part of the route was mostly rock so an air down was great for traction and smoothing out the ride. The ARB EZ deflator came in handy. The use seemed a little counter-intuitive so I reviewed the instructions and made quick work of dropping down to about to mid 20's psi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also numerous water crossings on the road and the second major one require a quick work around or you'll be on your front bumper. One other has some jagged bedrock, but low water levels made both a breeze.

After Witt Road we worked our way east a bit and made a quick pass by Coker Falls. I'll upload more pics once I unload the camera.

[​IMG]

I had plotted out a few other roads including Fingerbreak and Old Furnance. Both were much tamer than Witt. Very rarely did these two stray from gravel two track territory with just a few rocks or washes to be mindful of.

We continued our route along the Tellico River and crossed into North Carolina. The foliage at the higher elevations are really starting to show up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended the day at one of the dispersed sites along Santeetlah Creek and made up for a long day in the truck with a big dinner and some relaxing by the fire.

It was great to spend the night creek side amongst the rhododendron. Sunday we made our way out to Horse Cove Campground and over the Skyway back to Tellico Plains and then home. It was a great trip to pack some miles in and just get the truck on the trail.

I'm already looking forward to a quick day trip up Hurrican Creek in a few weeks.

Note: I'll add a few more pics when I get them all from my camera.

2. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Very cool, and very cool Wok grill you got there- info?

R Stowe likes this.
  3. R Stowe

It's the Tembo Tusk Skottle. I use it for everything. I don't even have a grill at home. I've mine for 3 years and put it through a lot of miles and with a quick clean up would look new.

C99c and STPNWLF like this.
  4. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

I'll have to check those out, thanks for the info @R Stowe

5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Sitting on your bumper as in a huge drop off? Yikes.

6. R Stowe

Oh yeah, the direct route has about a 4 foot vertical drop. It looks like it may have even been dug out but maybe is just washed that way. I just had to squeeze between two trees to get to the easily crossed area.

C99c and Strigidae like this.
  7. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

I wonder how many meals that Skottle has cooked for the DJ clan.

Cool pics BTW.

STPNWLF likes this.
  8. R Stowe

Haha. Several in a couple of states at this point. Thank ya sir.

STPNWLF likes this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE the TemboTusk Skottle! had mine for a few years now and it always draws people over when cooking on it.

If you go to your propane or BBQ/grill dealer...ask for a TANK ADAPTOR HOSE. It will allow you to use a little 5LB (or 10 or 20 or 100 lb ) propane tank. Really saves you money. A 5lb'er will keep that Skottle going for a month and its DIRT CHEAP compared to those coleman bottles.

STPNWLF likes this.
  10. R Stowe

Same here. It's cooked a lot of food. I've been meaning to get one of those and keep larger tank at home or on long trips. I can imagine it would last forever. Even the lite Coleman bottles cook a ton of food.

STPNWLF likes this.