A Great Day Hike on the Cumberland Trail

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by R Stowe, Feb 28, 2018.

1. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Sunday I met up with two buddies, and a friend of one of those guys for a day hike along the Piney River section of the Cumberland Trail in Rhea County, Tennessee. I had become aware of this area because of some random Instagram post and thought it looked like it had some cool features. I'm always interested in the Cumberland Trail and thought it would make a good destination within a couple of hours for everyone in our group.

We hit the trail mid-morning and found that right away we were hiking along some great creeks of various sizes that were running very well due to the rainy weather. Even the night before the area got a couple of hours of sustained precipitation.

After following one small stream for a 1/4 mile or so it was joined by another, and then another, and soon we crossed that for our first climb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the next bit we alternated between following along the stream and climbing up the ridge. All along the route there were tons of overhangs, rock houses, and bluffs.

[​IMG]

Soon enough Duskin Creek had grown to significant size as it ran through a hemlock and rhododendron forest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole area was very damp with loam like soil and with that comes many fungi, lots of moss, and the expected animal life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CWB, Klynesquatch, Datilite and 8 others like this.
  2. R Stowe

We stopped for a lunch and fire at about the 4.5 mile mark where Duskin Creek meets the Piney River.

[​IMG]

We had a lot of food to cook so after some hasty unpacking the first order of business was to a get a fire going. We didn't get a lot of photos of the action, but the buck saw and the blades were busy. It turns out one buddy and I both packed our ESEE 6's. His well used classic and my relatively new 6HM. I'm really digging this knife. It handled batoning, some curls, and other camp task with ease.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the guys wanted to give a hand drill a shot using an on site hearth board. They gave it a heck of a try, but time and the very wet conditions ended up with me jumping in with some flint and steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As soon as we got the fire going we put some bannock on, and then the main course of venison steaks. A failure to plan portions and meal responsibilities ended up with us having more than plenty of food.

[​IMG]

Between the pack grills and the pot hanger we had a pretty sweet kitchen set up.

[​IMG]

Throw in some eggs and cheese and you balance somewhere between fuel for the hike out and being ready to take a nap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    SEMO, CWB, BigJake and 8 others like this.
  3. R Stowe

After we ate we hung out a bit and discussed future plans to hike the other half of this section of the Cumberland Trail and other spots we wanted to check out.

While we let the fire burn down a couple of groups of kayakers passed.

[​IMG]

And as they did we warmed a lost toy dinosaur by the fire and contemplated a viking funeral for it.

[​IMG]

I'm enjoying this Eagle Industries Beck Patrol Pack. I had the Black Hawk version, but a few things like larger side pockets, better drawstrings, and it being roll top make me favor this one a good bit. Plus it's made in the USA.

[​IMG]

We made our way out without as many photo stops, but it's a great area all and all. I'm looking forward to returning in the Spring to do some fishing.

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking out the thread and thanks to the other guys for letting me compile and use their photos.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    SEMO, CWB, BigJake and 7 others like this.
  4. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Nice. Would make for some good swift water rescue training at those levels

5. R Stowe

Definitely. We questioned which path the kayakers took to get to our camp. We're guessing it was the main fork since the other branch we traced in had some serious CFS.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. Jeff Randall

We've got a few around here like that. Calm little creeks until it rains then some serious flow with a lot of strainers and we see the crazy kayakers running them.

7. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Awesome post. That newt/salamander picture is fantastic!

8. R Stowe

Yeah if they came over that cascade in the 6th photo on the first post they're crazier than I care to be. It was only about a foot deep coming over the rock, but it cleared a good 4 to 6 feet off that edge.

Thanks, we saw two of those and I'm sure there are tons in the creeks and along the banks if someone were to take a closer look.

9. Jeff Randall

Shane Adams would run it.

R Stowe and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  10. R Stowe

A defer to the crazier than I care to be statement above.

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

this!

beautiful country

12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Nice trip!!!! Beautiful area and pictures!!

13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

The Marsh Gorilla and R Stowe like this.
  14. R Stowe

@Bushman5 Yeah, we packed them but only broke them out at one spot. It was just too washed out in 99% of the water we saw. We definitely plan to go back. The Piney has stocked trout, but I'm guessing there's a lot of small fish in the other branches that would be a lot of fun to catch on light tackle.

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  15. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Damn I need to get out. Awesome man, thanks for sharing. I need a Becker Patrol pack.

16. R Stowe

Always happy to share with this crew. I've had two, both new old stock, and they're pretty great. I passed my Blackhawk made one on to a buddy. Even though it wasn't made in the States the quality was still good. You can find them on Ebay on occasion but price, condition, and the value between those two greatly vary. I like that I can load it out for an overnight/two nighter if I pack smart, I can carry it on a day hike like this trip if I want to pack a few luxury items, and it makes a great weekend pack for travel as well. The organization and comfort are pretty amazing but that's just a testament to the design sense of Mr. Ethan Becker. I just need to get some Webbing Dominators on that thing after looking at the photo of it on the tree.

17. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

Great post Rick!

18. Packrat

Packrat Member

Excellent post and pictures,really liked your kitchen shots.MMM,venison...

19. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

20. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

I don’t think folks realize the dangers of creeking following heavy rains. I have pulled enough bodies to understand.