A couple of nights away...

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Andy the Aussie, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Not too many pics this time as it was only a couple of nights.

I was looking for an easy spot close to Sydney to go sleep away from the world, unfortunately most of the areas in the eastern side of the range are closed due to flood damage still or too many other humans there. So I drove a bit further out and found a spot in the Kanangra Boyd Nat Park. Unfortunately is was an actual campsite as opposed to heading up a fire trail and making a piece of flat ground my own, nonetheless it was better than Sydney.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/kanangraboyd-national-park

Drive out took about 3hrs and I went via the township of Oberon, I love this little town and have spent a good deal of time there over the years. The last 45mins of the drive was on dirt and it was nice to find out what a good decision the new springs in my truck were...!!!

Home away from home....

[​IMG] View attachment 97256

Some of the locals who decided they were all my new best friends....

[​IMG] View attachment 97257 [​IMG] View attachment 97260 [​IMG] View attachment 97261

Out for a walk and saw a number of deer (feral in the park and actively killed by rangers - I was not telling though)...best pic I could get of a young buck...

[​IMG] View attachment 97263

Fire...must have fire to stare into....

[​IMG] View attachment 97262

A healthy salad for lunch...

[​IMG] View attachment 97258 [​IMG] View attachment 97259

A little stream running down to the Boyd River proper....

[​IMG] View attachment 97264

Obligatory cutty things I am never without...

[​IMG] View attachment 97265 [​IMG] View attachment 97266

Despite feeling off (I will explain shortly) I loved it, really the only thing that would have made it better was people not arriving Friday night and having MUCH more firewood !!! Of course a week more time would have helped too !!!! First night it was just on 0degsC and the second it was 2 degsC with misty rain all night, given it is SUMMER here it was colder than I expected and I did think I had gotten a chill as on Thursday night I could not warm up even in a well padded sleeping bag.

A guy from a nearby camp did come and see me as a couple of Dutch travelers had gone off in their busted up 4x4 for a drive and left all their camp behind....no sign of them after two days, I asked if he had let the park staff or police know by chance....but he had not, sorted that out and still don't know what happened. My guess is they drove into town and ended up at one of the local pubs for a couple of days (having done exactly that in that town as a 20year old). Nothing in the news so I am guessing they are OK.

And the final postscript to this is upon arrival home I was still feeling a bit rubbish and ended testing +ve for Rona.....

Datilite, Bushman5, Sean and 9 others like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Awesome man! More trips like this please!

Sean and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

…there are only so many times I can catch COVID ;) :D

Sean, Strigidae, TerryD and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Member

I really enjoy the pictures you share. Thanks for that. I always look forward to seeing your adventures. Take good care

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.