.22 lr rifle recommendations

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by skx013, May 11, 2020.

1. skx013

skx013 Member

Looking to pick one up. Anyone have thoughts - target shooting and potentially small game. I’m considering the following but open to others.

• Ruger 10/22 - any specific variant recommendations? Anyone have experience with the takedown model?
    • I also have a soft spot for bolt action, so these are considerations
      • Ruger American
      • Marlin XT-22
    Any others to consider? Pros/cons of each?

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Member

The West coast of Newfoundland (The best coast)
    Well... It's a tough problem you have there. I say buy the two Rugers.

Ballenxj and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Tikka t1x

Zeek and skx013 like this.
  4. erik

erik Member

10/22 is a fun platform for plinking.
    The takedown seems to be as accurate and consistent as the fixed model, but I'm not convinced it's worth the added cost, unless you need to save space.

The Marsh Gorilla and skx013 like this.
  5. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

You can't go wrong with the standard 10/22.

Ruger makes/made a 77/22 which is a bolt action that takes the same magazine as the 10/22

6. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

7. ASH

ASH Member

What kind of target shooting? If you mean plinking any .22 will be fine. If you want to shoot small groups with a out of the box rifle, it's a lot like playing the lottery. Ruger .22 rifles nearly always lose in that department, they tend to have the best magazines though. They are plenty accurate for hunting and plinking and are easy to upgrade. They even have a cheap drop in trigger upgrade available from Ruger.

Remington 597 is normally the most accurate out of the box semiauto you will find, unless you get a bad one. They have had other issues like bad extractors and magazines, but I think those problems have been fixed. Sometimes they come with the guide rod screws too tight from the factory, but that's a easy fix. They have less aftermarket parts available but the few parts that are available make it a really sweet shooter.

CZ bolt guns are really nice and are normally very accurate. My CZ 455 trainer is my newest .22 rifle. It's super quiet with subsonic and standard velocity ammo with it's 25" barrel.

Marlin was having QC issues for a while when Remington took them over. They call them Remlins. I don't know if the current production guns still have that problem. Sometimes they can be really accurate with the right ammo.

Savages can be pretty good, pretty similar to Marlins.

Mossbergs are basically all rebranded Rossi's.

The new Rossi's are pretty cool rifles for the price. I have a older CBC/Magtech carbine that my gf liked so I bought her one of the new Rossi RS 22s. It's a fun little plinker, I haven't taken the time to sit down and see what kind of groups I can get off the bench with it. They also have a pretty cool bolt action called the RB 22.

I'm not sure what to say about Henrys. Lever guns are fun and most people love Henrys. My dad has had a few and says he won't keep one for himself. He said the ones he traded for always had something plastic broken inside that he had to fix.

8. skx013

skx013 Member

The CZ 457 is the other - any experiences with reliability? Never shot or even handled a CZ.

9. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

It's hard to beat the 10/22. Lots of aftermarket accessories.

10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

CZ was/is big out here (called "Brno" till the 90s) from post WW2. they were and generally remain THE first choice in .22 bolt rifles. I literally sold 100s of them in the late 80s and it was THE .22 I wanted as a kid (the one I got to satisfy that itch I still have, it's a 1982 model). I was not impressed with the "Americanisation" of them preferring the original European styling but that is mostly the stocks. Hard to go wrong with one.

As to reliability, I have not used a 457 but my Model2 (closest to the 452) has consumed tens of thousands of rounds without a hiccup.

11. ASH

ASH Member

I haven't really kept up with them, but in general CZ bolt action .22s are about the best you can buy for a new gun in it's price range. I hear that Tikka T1x is comparable, maybe even a little better if you don't mind the plastic stock.

skx013 likes this.
  12. ASH

ASH Member

You can go over to rimfirecentral.com and read up on just about any .22 you can imagine. They have sub forums for each brand.

13. Frigin

Frigin Member

I have the ruger takedown and the CZ they are both great!

14. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Do you want to suppress it, now or in the future? If yes then the Bolt action is the way to go. I had a Savage and it was fine but a CZ is in my future.

15. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

Depends on the type of shooting you want to do? A 10-22 is hard to beat for general pinking/hunting, but a bolt gun is more versatile in that you can shoot anything from CB shorts to high velocity LR's.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  16. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

My favorite 22lr for target shooting is a lever action. I would suggest considering one of these, they sure are fun :).

If you want one with a scope I would go with a stainless ruger 10/22 that has the threads at the end for a flash suppressor or sound suppressor.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Frigin and skx013 like this.
  17. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I have the CZ that allows bbl change. The trigger is sort of rough.
    I have had a Remington 514 for 3o years. It is a great rifle. I used it for silhouettes and shot some great groups with it.
    If one has an excess of coins the Anshtuz is a great choice. Mine is the 1722 on the 54 action and cannot be improved upon.

The Marsh Gorilla, ASH and skx013 like this.
  18. Marty W

Marty W Member

There are several great ones, but the Ruger 10/22 is my favorite. My dad bought me one in 1986. It’s still just as great as it was 34 years ago. Bergara has a new one and the Thompson Center version is supposed to be great too. Both it and the Bergara use 10/22 magazines.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  19. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

My favorite rifle is my CZ 452 military trainer. Hands down my favorite gun of any kind.
    It shoots as good as my Anschutz with a rear sight that is easier to play with in the field to make adjustments.
    IMG_20160731_1138131_rewind_kindlephoto-37814506.jpg

20. ASH

ASH Member

I forgot all about that T/CR22. I want one. They say it's like a 10\22 that's already been modded.