Glock 43 vs Glock 26

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Chuy, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Chuy

Chuy Member

Im in a bit of a conundrum and can't decide on what to get.

I owned a 43 when they first came out, initial impressions. Brass to the head and very snappy, accuarcy greatly reduced compared to my G19. It still felt heavy and just as large print in a kydex holster to my Glock 19. So I decided to get rid of it and keep the G19.

Years later the G19 prints heavy during the summer which is 10 months of the year here, more like 12 of 12 this year. The G19 is heavy and I mostly end up leaving it at home. So I'm thinking of a compromise.

Here I am looking back at the 43 and the 26. I have never owned a 26 but read great reviews. From most of the online reviews it seems like most experienced gun people go for the 43 over the 26.

In the past years I have invested in a stiff gun belt and feel like the extra weight makes the G19 weight negligible possibly to the 26.

Should I try the 26 or go back to the 43 or maybe try something new in 9mm?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

Since you've never had a G26, you need to buy one and experience it for yourself. That's the only way to go. No one here can give you an answer. Worse case, you don't like it and go back to the G43 and your down a ~$150 bucks... well worth it in the long run.

Chuy likes this.
  3. jpowell44

jpowell44 Member

If you already have a 19, I would go with a 43. I can’t tell that much difference between the 26 and the 19 when I’m wearing it but the 43 is definitely smaller and lighter. Or just get both. :)

timdgsr and Chuy like this.
  4. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

If you don't like the way your 19 prints, you likely won't like the 26 any better. Its a smidge shorter handle and slide, but no thinner.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the 43, so I would start checking other brands if you don't like it.

Chuy likes this.
  5. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

I’m two years into carrying the g43 daily. I have 6-7000 rounds through it. Zero problems. Haven’t had issues with the brass kicking back. Great carry gun.

6. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I have all those listed. I carried the G43 exclusively for a year or two then went to a Sig P320SC until it was recalled. I then bought another G26 (hadn't had one in a while and wanted something similar in size and capacity to the Sig I was used to after carrying it for a year). I love both the G43 and the G26 but am currently torn between them myself.

I don't think it's accurate to say most experienced gun people go with the G43 over the G26. I don't find that to be the case at all. Both are are very popular with the "in" crowd on the gun forums I know to be legit shooters.

For me the G26 gets the nod for slightly higher capacity and better shoot ability.
    The G43 gets the nod for ease of carry. Still shoots great but I'm not as accurate with it as I am with the G26.

I do agree with someone above who said the G26 almost isn't different enough to bother with if you already have a G19. In that event going to a G43 might be the win. I have all 3 - plus a G17 and G34.

The way someone put it to me once during a discussion about mouse guns, sub-compact guns, service size, etc.
    They said, "Which one would you rather have in your hand if you were accosted by a group of thugs in the parking lot?"
    That statement carried a lot of weight with me and still today drives my choice with regard to size, capacity, and sights.

Chuy likes this.
  7. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

The only thing the 43 does better than the 26 is be skinny. I carry the 43 when I am unable to carry a gun. I actually shoot the 26 better than my 17, or 19. The 26 hides beneath a T-shirt as long as I used the standard based mag, and I reload with G19 mags. The 43 is relegated to beach attire carry.

Zeitgeist and Zeek like this.
  8. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I've carried the same G19 since 1994. I've also carried a 26 since about 1997. I got a 43 last year, but just have never really liked it. It's almost the size of the 26, and I find the 26 better since it is thicker (which provides a better grip, in my opinion), and the higher round capacity.

I don't find that it is that much larger than the 43 so I carry the 26 pretty much every day now.

@Allen Morrison is making me a new holster for my 43 so we'll see if I carry it more when I get that.

Like others have said, this is a very personal choice. What works for me, may be the exact opposite for you.

I also don't think the more experienced people carry the 43. Again, just my opinion.

RedEyedHog likes this.
  9. Rankor

Rankor Member

Try the 26. Reading on your prior experience with the 43, I doubt you'll warm up to it. The 26 is just a little smaller than the 19 and it'll be able to take factory 10/12-round, 19 15-round, 17 17-round, and 18 33-round magazines.

I carried the 26 for years having both a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 in OD. I recently got a 43 in BFG and I've been carrying that for almost 2 years. (The 43) is just easier to carry. I can shoot the 43 better than both my 26's and Gen 5 19.

10. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

I agree with this. Most likely the other way around. I can see myself carrying a 19 within a few years.

11. jpowell44

jpowell44 Member

I wear a 43 on my ankle any time I have on long pants. I usually also have a 19 on my waist. Many times I have put on my 43 and thought my 26 isn’t that much bigger. So I put on my 26. Then I think my 19 isn’t that much bigger. Before I know it I am leaving the house with my 17.

Zeitgeist likes this.
  12. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I like the way you think. I mean, my Ruger Scout isn't really all that much bigger than my 19, so.....

jpowell44 likes this.
  13. jpowell44

jpowell44 Member

Exactly.

14. Chuy

Chuy Member

Well, thank you guys I really appreciate all of the input and advice. I think I am going to try the G26 gen 4 since I have never owned one. I fell like if I don't at least try it then the question will always be in the back of my mind. I might play around with appendix carry and maybe trying a different style holster. Maybe one with a single clip vs the double loop style.

Zeitgeist, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  15. jpowell44

jpowell44 Member

Truth is you really can’t go wrong with either.

Zeitgeist likes this.