AR Pistols

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Spikebot587, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I decided it was time to build something on the Anderson lower I bought a few months ago. After much thought I think I finally decided on a pistol. I was thinking one in 300 blk would be nice. From what I've read it seems to stabilize quicker than 556 with makes it more practical out of shorter rifles. Although the other day I was looking around the palmetto state site and noticed they had a pistol upper in 45 apc. If I could find a way to feed it using glock mags that would also be a
    really tempting option just as a range toy. Decisions decisions...

2. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I think they make a devise to put in the magwell for Glock mags.

I think.

3. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I found one company that does, but only for 9mm and 40

4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

@Bcamos knows about these things

Zeek likes this.
  5. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Yeah I've only seen one company that I know of that makes a .45ACP upper, so it probably doesn't have much other support.

As far as .300BLK goes, it's a fantastic round for ranges under 250yds. Just like any other round, you can of course shoot it a lot further than that, but you're having to work for it. If you build it with the mindset that it's a long range pistol, and don't expect incredible accuracy out of it, you're going to love it. As long as you can afford the ammo.

I built a .300 pistol for all of the typical reasons most people want a .300BLK gun. But I couldn't afford to keep up with the ammo cost, so it sat in the safe and never got used. I converted it to 5.56 and now I enjoy it so much more.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

That was my biggest hangup was the ammo prices. 556 is cheap, and I already have a decent supply of it. It's just part of me wants something different. Idk, I might need to think about it a little more

7. stickman

stickman Member

If you already have SBRs, and are treating this as a fun blaster, build up whatever you like that seems interesting. I wouldn't fixate on ammo if it is a "fun-gun".

However, if you are using it to be a functional weapon, or to get around the SBR nonsense laws which are in play, using a 5.56 10.5" barreled upper is a great way of doing things. Like you already know, stockpiling 5.56 keeps an all around effective caliber on hand.

I am the one who wrote the article releasing the 300BLK to the public (via Military Times), and I have a lot of faith in the round. The caliber is highly effective within its own parameters, but like all weapons and calibers, you need to pick the right tool for the job. If you are looking at hunting or defensive capability, make sure you get the right ammunition.

Lastly, regarding stabilization, I wouldn't be concerned. The MK18 is showing over and over on the war front that a 10.5" 1-7 twist barrel is a solid performer. The shorter barreled weapons like the 7.5s are range toys which are seriously lacking in reliability, while increasing muzzle blast and losing realistic muzzle velocity. Before someone jumps up to defend their 7.5" barreled AR15 purchase, please don't bother, you are only going to look like a clown if you try to spin it as anything other than a range toy.

8. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Member

I was recently gifted a 10.5" 300blk barrel, gas block, pistol length gas tube and A2 style 30cal flash hider from a friend that upgraded those parts on his sbr. I'll be swapping these parts out with the barrel on a spare upper I've got sitting around after I build out a pistol lower for it.

My interest in the blackout pistol is as a truck gun/hog blaster. I've been thinking about using a Thordsen Customs buffer tube cover with a MFT saddle, but another friend suggested the Shockwave Blade as an option. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with both/either of these and ya'll opinions on them?

9. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I have the blade. It just kind of is what it is. It hurts to shoulder it because it's so thin and it's hard plastic. I think it looks better than a standard round tube or tube with a cover on it. I have seen where people use the Thordsen saddle with the blade, and it's baller as ****.

Zeek and Zeitgeist like this.
  10. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Member

Thanks for the reply man!

I did recently see some pics of the blade with a saddle and that's definitely on the table. What's originally drawn me to the Thordsen + saddle is it being like the LMT sopmod on my 16" rifle w/o a stock toe and with the flat of the underside I thought ranger banding a spare 20rd magazine could be possible w/o add too much bulk. I don't like bare tubes or simple covers either.

11. Uncle Malice

Uncle Malice Member

I have 3 pistols, using 3 different braces - the Blade, the SB PDW, and the SBM4. The PDW is my favorite. It's comfortable AND adjustable in 3 positions, which is nice. The blade is fine for 5.56. The SBM4 is really nice with one of the extended tubes to keep it positions outwards just a little bit and a few layers of electrical tape wrapped around the tube to really wedge it on. Upon first installation, the SBM4 was rotating pretty bad on my tube, but now that it's tightened up... it's nice.

Mine are all 5.56, but I've been considering a 300BLK upper. I've heard good things and I'm hoping to get a can here before too long.

Zeitgeist likes this.