Slingshots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Stone

Stone Member

Man, you scored there with the marbles. I've been thinking of trying some. What size are they? guessing 1/2" (?)

STPNWLF likes this.
  2. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

3/8-1/2" haven't measured them, but fly straight and hit hard.

Stone likes this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

I've been reading about marbles a bit today. (Was way into them as a kid.) Doing a bit of pricing. They're not cheap, but not terrible either. I'm considering a pound (actually 1.1 lb) of these -- roughly 200 for $8. If I like them, 1000 can be had for $38. Not sure about shipping.

Be easy to find around targets (with a soft backdrop like a blanket or heavy tarp). I suspect the color would act like a low-tech tracer. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Michael W., STPNWLF and Zeek like this.
  4. Stone

Stone Member

Have you noticed any breaking, or shattering? I assume they'd do fine against something like wood, but imagine they'd shatter if they hit rock or metal.

STPNWLF likes this.
  5. Stone

Stone Member

Especially that one, that looks like he could do well in the MMA.

I was partly being tongue in cheek with that comment, but for the serious part, I was thinking more about the small ones -- some species are quite small, yes? And even then, I'm pretty sure a sling bow would be more appropriate. I don't know much about their skin, but assume it's
    pretty tough.

6. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

I know I couldn't dig one out of a dead oak tree, plenty of penatration

7. DiverLiam

DiverLiam Member

There are a few glove manufacturers including Hatch that use ‘roo leather. Thin but durable for good protection and dexterity.

Stone likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Sling----Shot :)

[​IMG]

STPNWLF, Zeek and Stone like this.
  9. Stone

Stone Member

Oh, man ... now you got me thinking about making a sling. Haven't owned one since I was ... maybe .. 14 .. 15? Made out of the new synthetic cord -- think paracord in the 60's -- with a pouch made from an old football. Fun, and sometimes I could hit a barn side.

BUT, I never used ball ammo, always stones, most of them irregular. (We didn't have flowing streams with pebbles, but muddy ditches and sloughs with mud. So the only rocks available were either from a gravel pit or the ballast supporting rail lines.)

So with some smooth, large steel or lead balls ... hmmm. Must try. BBQ Goliath.

What cord did you use for that?

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

2000 lb test Kevlar from 5Col

Zeek and STPNWLF like this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

Look what I got today: 500 3/8" steel balls (slow-ass delivery from Amazon: 10 days!) and 100 marbles for $2 at a Dollar Tree.

The balls shoot significantly better for me: they're smaller (for me = good), totally consistent size (marbles are 1/2" - 5/8"), and are easier to find if dropped; some can be recovered (rotting birch makes a great target; I'm making a backdrop to recover 90%).

I've only shot 20 balls and 10 marbles (near sunset in the woods out back), but am amazed how accurate I am with it already. Tall tales later. I think I have promise. Maybe I'll win a world slingshot/catapult competition for my age class someday. :rolleyes:

I'm already going to upgrade the slingshot. Same company but different s'shot: their Scout. Full about why some other time, but it's mostly about the palm swell and wider forks (for TTF shooting).

For now, I've added a crudely constructed palm swell to the s'shot. The Scout has one molded in; this one did not. So I fastened a flattened piece of wood to the handle with some paracord. Makes a HUGE improvement for me; hence, upgrade to the Scout. And they've got a limited edition orange one now. :D

Two images here: the second with flash, first without. Note the one steel ball among the marbles, between the (big 3/4") shooters. That was one I recovered from the "backside" of a 6" birch trunk rotten in the middle; it stuck out the other side, and I dug it out with a knife.

Oh, and these images are the slingshot equivalent of pistol/revolver pictures with cartridges scattered around. ;)

Slingshot w-balls & marbles no flash.JPG

Slingshot w- balls & marbles w- flash.JPG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Zeek, Bushman5 and STPNWLF like this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

..... tail is OK in a stew or soup.... I prefer filet done the BBQ plate, a little seasoning and cooked fast and hot. If you at all overcook it, well, boot leather is better eating. It should be done no more than medium but I really prefer rare.

Zeek, Stone and STPNWLF like this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Stone likes this.
  14. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Zeek likes this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i saw that a few months ago.........completely forgot about it. Thanks Dag....its going onto my new years shopping list.

Dagwood likes this.
  16. Stone

Stone Member

Back on track ...

ETA : for reasons that I don't understand,
    the posts immediately upstream from here were not visible when I posted this.

ALL were on track.

Scout orange lrg.png

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. Stone

Stone Member

18. Stone

Stone Member

Those guys in the UK -- like @nathan shepherd -- seem to have catapults dialed in.

I'm thinking it's because they can't own guns, so they adopt the next best thing.
    (OK, archery -- and that's good an all, but bows don't fit so well in the pack.)

Check this out, then make the connection to the link I posted above.

Same slingshot.

nathan shepherd likes this.
  19. Stone

Stone Member

Wait ... what's that knife that ^ that British dude is wearing as a necker? :confused:

nathan shepherd likes this.
  20. Stone

Stone Member

OK, I've found my next slingshot.

For weeks, I've thought it was a Simple Shot Scout. Already loaded it into their cart waiting for payday. Still may get one, but not next; bumped to the back burner.

Then, I watched a comparison of it and Pocket Predator's Hathcock Target Sniper by Bill Hayes (the US equivalent of the UK's Gamekeeper John). I started researching the latter, but communication with the company suggested that it was probably too large for my smaller hands. They suggested their Scorpion instead. [I'll still try out a HTS someday, just for grins; but I think the side shooter is best learned with a Scorpion.]

Turns out the Scorpion is Bill's favorite slingshot, the one he'd own if he could own just one.

It's a dedicated side shooter with TTF (through the forks).

Check out this 360 inspection: hand filling, solid polycarbonate.

So, I've researched it pretty thoroughly, and am sold. I'll order one tomorrow, and hope to shoot it by week's end.

My new avatar tries to reflect it, but regardless of how large or small I make the image, it won't fit: has to be 200 x 200, and I can't get a square image from the company's page.

Here it is. I'll get a right hand shooter in matte OD green. $35 shipped with bands and steel balls.

Scorpion green.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017