Thoughts: is it a viable plan???????????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushman5, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Nether

Nether Member

There was that guy in Ontario who got tired of it all and lived in a cave for 2 years. You ever see that news story ? was awhile ago. But it is possible to just go live off the land. But with all the damn wild fires, I'd be concerned with that. Especially if in a very remote location.

I sometimes imagine living homeless with my survival setup and as much as it would suck in reality. The thought of living that kind of adventure appeals to me. I can't explain it.

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Rings a bell.

I'd love a forest cabin. But I would have a well designed fire guard sprinkler system around the place and on the roof.

Or maybe some cleared land yet still close to the woods .

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Michael W. and Zeek like this.
  4. McKROB

McKROB Member

Why not start by moving out of Vancouver? You couldn't pay me enough money to live in that place (or any other of the bigger cities like Toronto, Montreal, etc). A guy I was just working with, a native of Surrey, just moved to Nelson to get away from the crap in Vancouver (gangs, crime, etc). It sounds like small town life, in BC or elsewhere, might suit you better too!

nathan shepherd likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Grew up near Nelson. Great area. Very very expensive now. Surrounding areas getting very expensive too. Lots of wealthy vancouverites buy their vacation properties there.

6. Black5

Black5 Member

Just like everywhere else, wealthy urbanites move to the country, then want to make it just like home. If they want it just like the big city, they should STAY in the big city.

ASH and Bushman5 like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I honestly think my best bet is to move towards lytton, Boston Bar, lilloet and further central north.......find a place remote that is "near" a town (for basic food/tool/auto etc staples supplies) , but still out of the way. Need to be at minumum, a days (24 hours) driving distance from Hope BC, as that is the general area my parental units will be retiring very soon.

I've been looking on Rural Properties BC website, taking careful note of yearly property taxes......some places in BC are days travel (in summer, in winter your locked in) from even a village, yet the property taxes are INSANE. Others are near towns and the taxes are less than $300 a year. I pay $300 a MONTH in strata fees....

i'm well versed on solar power setup/storage and diesel gen-set operations, propane costs/delivery and when the best seasonal time to buy propane is...non issue

I'm well versed on water right of ways, drilling , pumping, storage and also off grid procurement, storage and treatment. Non issue.

I'm well versed on property wildfire safety/prevention/fighting.

well versed on wild animal safety

well versed on off the grid hygiene and water/food safety

well versed in timber rights and mineral/placer rights.

can adapt into almost any role (it actually scares some of my friends how rapidly i can adapt into any situation or job. )

Would love a caretaker position of a lodge or a campground somewhere. Even a remote fire-watch position. They used to have mountain top fire watch towers in BC...not sure anymore if they do, budget cuts and all.........A guy or couple would live in a tower in the middle of bartfark nowhere , and maintain the tower, watch for fires, and report daily on the radio. I'd even consider a lighthouse keep job......except our F---------- pieces of **** in government seem hell bent on destroying BC Coastal lighthouses that have been there serving and paid by the Canada Govt for 100 years plus......

45 years old. Gotta get going here. Before i'm 90 and can't hike anymore or sleep on the ground by a fire........

http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=17155

http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=17289

Bralorne BC is old mine country.....but taxes are a little higher

http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=17190

this one is the cheapest yearly tax wise.....and close to a LOT, but still driving distance...

http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=17140

potential for selling off leases..........

http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=17218

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  8. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

Make a plan to make it happen and go do it. Sounds like it is a calling to me.

Zeek likes this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

there is a lot involved...apt is in my folks name (to save me taxes) , i have to find work outside this area first (a stipulation before selling the apt), any finances related to the apt are handled by the folks lawyer, its not like i can just sell it and walk away with cash and do what i want. (i would buy that Kaiser 6x6, sell off everything but tools and take the cats up into the Fraser Canyon and build a off grid house/garden/pasture/chicken house. )

my idea of an off the grid home is a lot different than what the folks have in mind. If i want to move I can guarantee you it wont be what i want.....

see where the frustration lies?

I use the apt now as a base......i work full time during the week, living here and on the weekends i'm supposed to go out and enjoy the wilderness......except every weekend I try to get out and enjoy local wilderness....it costs me $200 - 300+ in fuel just to get anywhere OUTSIDE of the metro Vancouver area. And even then I'm STILL not in remote wilderness. I spend my weekends driving for hours just to get to the outskirts of the metro limits........for a few hours. But then i have to come back , because rules......and all....some of my weekends where I actually get a few hundred klicks away from this place, cost me insane amounts of money just in fuel (dropping into 4Hi/lo eats a **** ton of fuel). Instead of just walking outside the cabin door and walking into the woods for a few days.........

thats not living.

welcome to my hell. This is why i drink and buy **** i dont really need. This is why I love extreme sports and exploring dangerous mines solo and rappelling off cliffs and ****....makes me feel alive. And its not the folks fault, they just want me to have a good safe place to live . And I'm grateful for that loan for this apt. I've lived in **** places and had issues as a result. But.........

excuse while I go punch another wall.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  10. McKROB

McKROB Member

Have you considered doing something a little different for work, something that gets you out of the city and working in the woods? You'd probably like what I do for a living (exploration geophysics), it's all contract work (2-8 weeks at a time) so there is a bit of uncertainty, but the pay is decent, you get to travel and work in some pretty remote places. When I'm in the field I'm typically working by myself in the bush all day, not having to talk to anyone other than maybe the odd check-in over the radio. When the job is done I go back to my home and family until I am ready to go back out again. The best of both worlds!

Delkancott likes this.
  11. Black5

Black5 Member

I can understand. I only get to see my farm about 8 days out of the month. Otherwise I live in a 28 foot fifth wheel for ten months out of the year 300 feet from interstate 30 outside Little Rock. To be at home, I would have to take a pay cut over 20k.
    Now, I'm not trying for one upmanship. My point is that you are able to get out occasionally in super nice places. I live vicariously through you guys. And...I buy chit I rarely get to use.
    But better times will come for us both. Keep your self together, know this is only temporary. You have a plan, which is more than a lot of people have.

Zeek likes this.
  12. Nether

Nether Member

This isn't bad at all, if truly accurate

For Lot 82 - Thompson River Estates

Climate

• 250 hours of sunshine per month is the average from April to September
    • Summer temperatures range from 20C to 30C (68F - 86F)
    • Winter temperatures range from -5C to 8C (22F - 47F)
    • Average monthly rainfall is 269 mm (0.8 inch)
    • Average wind speed is 12 km/hr.