Full Ti DPX Hest Urban in stock at USA Made Blade

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Scott Whittington, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

We are proud to announce the arrival of the new DPX Full Ti Urban. Made by the folks at Southern Grind Knives these knives have fantastic fit, finish, sharpness and lock up. Check one out today you will not regret it! In stock at:

[​IMG]

Thank you as always for looking!

Scott (Whitty) Whittington
    scott@usamadeblade.com

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  2. Bobo03

Bobo03 Member

Looks nice. Price point seems high and I'm over the bearing craze.

Delkancott likes this.
  3. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

Did a quick overview on the Full Ti Hest Urban for those of you interested in it.

4. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Looks nice, but that slight recurve at the tip of the blade in the photo is a no go for me. Doesn't appear to be an intentional design, based upon previous models and other pictures of this model, which means it was over ground, and it got by their quality control.

At that price point, I expect more.

Bobo03 likes this.
  5. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

Actually it was intentionally done. It was done to provide a stronger tip and it was also done to get the knife to seat further into the handle when closed. While it is a small difference, it makes it better overall. It was no way overlooked by the QC of Southern Grind or DPX.

6. Reno Lewis

I have no idea how removing steel from the belly increases strength...

That recurve near the tip is identical to an over grind issue Ka-Bar has been having over the past 3 years. I had to return two BK-16's due to it, and seeing it here just turns me right off.

If the blade doesn't seat deep enough into the handle, it's the handle which should be modifie to accommodate the blade, not vise versa.

Seems like a gross oversight to me, to have to take a chunk out of the belly to get the blade so seat right.

But hey, that's just me.

7. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

I think saying they took a chunk out of the blade might be taking it a bit too far. It is your opinion and I am cool with that. What is not a concern for one customer might drive another customer nuts. I can tell you that all but one of our best customers that have come in the shop this week have bought one, and not once mentioned the grind. The one guy that did not buy one debated hard and I think he will be back for one this next week. They all found it to be a fantastic knife. We have also gotten great feedback from those that already got theirs in the mail.

8. Reno Lewis

That's cool by me. I'm glad people like it.

Upon looking further, it seems the original promotional pictures of it all show that same recurve.

I have no doubt Southern Grind makes solid blades, this one included, I've just become acustomed to seeing that recurve on defecctive blades (due to overgrinding).

Seeing as that's not the case here, I rescind my original comment about their QC.

Though, I will maintain that, at least from my own personal perspective, the flat spot/recurve is just a no go.

I'm a huge fan of the original HEST blade shape, just not so much this new iteration of it.

The rest of it looks great though.