New American Cast Iron

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Any of you that have spent time with cast iron cookware has probably seen the noticeable difference between the skillets of yesteryear versus the rough stuff of current production.

Older stuff was thinner, smoother, and more efficient. Unfortunately, all of the American made companies went by the wayside with the exception of Lodge, who has stayed at it for a long time, although they suffer the same change in manufacturing--the rough finish. Smooth costs money. Money that consumers didn't want to part with for a product that fell out of favor in general.

The resurgence in cast iron has led to a resurgence in American made cast iron. Here are some of the companies. Understand that the prices are commensurate with the added quality over a new Lodge. The prices are basically in line with the prices of the early pieces in the 20's, adjusted for inflation. They also help explain why these things were so valued to be part of a woman's dowry, or part of a will back in the day.

The Field Company (New York)
    www.fieldcompany.com

Finex Cast Iron (Oregon)
    www.finexusa.com

Smithey Ironware (South Carolina)
    www.smitheyironware.com

Borough Furnace (New York)
    www.boroughfurnace.com

Stargazer Cast Iron (Pennsylvania)
    www.stargazercastiron.com

American Skillet Company (Wisconsin)
    www.americanskilletcompany.com (This is more of a gimmick thing, but made in the USA)

That should get you guys started on your shopping. If you find some more, please post them here.

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Ya gotta USE yer irons .....all my rough when new Lodges are now glass smooth. Lots of metal spatula action and Ringer scrubbing over time.

Cast Iron cookware should not be a fad, it should be a lifetime relationship . Purchase, break in, use, use, use, use, create great memories with.

PERSONALLY, and i'f im hijacking yer thread Expat - tell me to edit it.....

part of the allure of cast iron for me is finding OLD or UNWANTED cast iron pans, for dirt cheap (esp after Christmas or Weddings). Cleaning them up in the lye tank , then in a vinegar bath, then seasoning them and then using them. Every pan tells a story (thru memories). Even purchased cast iron (new (Lodge for me) is an experience........using it over and over again, and watching the cooking surface turn to glass after several weeks or months.

Cooking memories and history man.....no new $200 - 400 fry pan can create that for me.

Hawkeye5 and Zeek like this.
  3. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

I use the cast iron frying pans my Mum and Dad got as a wedding present in 1975. They are now more non stick than a non stick frying pan on non stick day.

Use your pans.

Hawkeye5, Zeek and Expat like this.
  4. jlowrance

jlowrance Member

I placed an order for a seasoned Stargazer skillet a couple weeks ago. It's not supposed to be here till the end of October tho. I have several new Lodge pieces I've bought, but mostly use an old 12 inch 3 notch that my mom gave me years ago when I moved out. When my my Mom passed away 5 months ago my Dad gave me all her cast iron. I've just not brought myself to pick it up yet.

Zeek likes this.
  5. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I agree, Bushman. Use them and I still buy the old because they are so cheap.

The ideal situation would be grandmother's or some other meaningful piece that you inherit but I don't have anything like that.

Bushman5, nathan shepherd and Zeek like this.
  6. JV3

JV3 Member

i've been using the field skillet for a few weeks now. i like it...but i actually like the heavier weight of a lodge. i hand-sanded smooth the cooking surface as well (spent several hours doing it) so that might play a part in me liking it better too since i actually invested time rather than money on it.

Hawkeye5, nathan shepherd and Zeek like this.
  7. chessiedog1

chessiedog1 Member

Hey Expat,

Here is another one to add to your list. made in USA and they machine the cooking service for a smoother finish.

http://www.nesthomeware.com/

Zeek likes this.
  8. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I ended up with a Field pan as a wedding gift. I loved the idea and everything they had going during the kickstarter campaign. I actually really like the pan as well, except one thing:

They stated they would have no "ring" on the bottom to lift it off flat surfaces. This ended up being a lie, and they changed design due to the fact that they couldn't get the castings flat enough.

Now, they claim it still works great with glass electric tops (which I'm currently cursed with), but I call BS on that. You're relying on the air to heat up between the top and the pan (and the heat transfer from the ring itself), and then the air heating up the pan. Meanwhile, all the seasoning in that airgap is just smoking to crap and back. I'm betting it's not good for your cooktop to blaze away with nothing to pull the heat away either.

I'm disappointed with this manufacturing decision, and would recommend anyone with this style cooktop to pass on Field skillets.

Meanwhile, my $15 lodge pan has a perfectly flat bottom and no issues.

Blake G and Bushman5 like this.