Land Rover Experience - Biltmore

Discussion in 'Randall's Adventure & Training®' started by Jeff Randall, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I had a Discovery for a while. It handled the mall parking lot like a boss. Fit right in, too, with all the other Discoverys there.

Jeff Randall likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

3. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Thanks. I no longer have it. I sold it just over a year ago. I owned it for 3 years and did 75,000 miles in it with very few problems. It was unstoppable, I never did found anything it couldn't drive over! The guy that brought it off me was going to use it to drive around the world in, including driving right round the coast of Australia.

4. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

The Discovery had the same drive train as that Defender. Discoverys were used in the Camel Trophy Races too. They are tough little cars. Of course there has to be a driver who knows how to drive one.)))

nathan shepherd likes this.
  5. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

When driving a land rover, isn't it more important to be a mechanic than knowing how to drive?

In all seriousness, I always loved the older (90s) Discovery. I always avoided them based on the fact that I didn't want to pay to keep it on the road.

6. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Land Rovers are the ESEE jets of the ground based world. They're fun to ride in when you're not fixing them and you just never know when your other survival skills will come in useful. In fact, the only difference I can think of is parachutes are not standard equipment in Land Rovers.

7. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

I had a love hate relationship with my Land Rovers (I've had a few, including a 1960 series 2 that in a billion bit in my garage at the moment). When they are running well nothing else on the road puts a smile on your face like driving a Defender. But they do need stuff doing to them a lot. I'm a qualified mechanic so could do all the work on it myself. If I couldn't do that there is no way I could have afforded the repair bills.

Jeff Randall likes this.
  8. Jeff Randall

That's the problem with the ESEE jet. Expat is not a qualified mechanic so he's always using duct tape and gorilla glue to fix the thing so it falls out of the sky every so often and has to be patched up.

9. Jeff Randall

In all seriousness, I'd own another LR. I have this 2000 Range Rover that is now back up and running again but on the short list of time left on the farm. After it's gone, I will probably start looking for a beater 110 to spend my retirement fund on. Not sure why except the fact that 110s are just cool. Maybe I will just buy one without an engine that I can just park on the farm and never have to worry about working on.

10. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

The advantage that Land Rovers have over the Esee jet is they are so slow that when they fall apart your only going 12 mph. Mind you, I've never seen the Esee jet. 12 mph could be beyond it.

Jeff Randall likes this.
  11. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

I think the best way to enjoy a 110 is to buy one without a engine. Park it in the farm. Look at it while drinking a beer. If you never try and move it it will never disappoint you.

Jeff Randall likes this.
  12. artigas

artigas Member

If he'd stop overloading it with "goods" from Central and South America, it might not have so many problems.

13. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

"...Maybe I will just buy one without an engine that I can just park on the farm and never have to worry about working on."

I can advise you on that. They need too be carefully placed so that you can still mow around them and trees don't grow up through the floor board.

Jeff Randall and nathan shepherd like this.
  14. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

The other advantage of buying one without an engine is it won't leak as much oil in your yard. It will still leak some from the diffs filler plug. That's guaranteed.

Jeff Randall likes this.
  15. Jeff Randall

That's what they make Roundup for.

BigJake likes this.
  16. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Gotta have cinder blocks, necessary evil for the environment.

17. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I've had the opportunity to talk to some of those guys and even take a navigation class from one. They didn't mess around. Give them some rope and some
    logs and they'd build a bridge better than most we drive across on daily basis.

18. Milamber

Milamber Member

One of the things I miss about old Blighty is the Land Rover. I've had them all from a 1960 something diesel 88 to a 130 TDi. I needed a new work truck back in may and looked for a 110 but blimey prices are crazy here. Discovery II was dirt cheap. I did a deal with a dealer over the phone for one. I got 100 yards off his lot and took it back. Hate the Disco sitting postion. Best thing you can do with a Disco is toss the body and get a Bowler kit for it.

I never had any reliability issues with my Landies. I had a 90TD that I dropped running of an underwater cliff. After recovery of pulled the glow plugs, tossed the air filter , drain the water out of the cylinders and drove it home with an interesting tick that later turned out to be a crack in the piston skirt from the sudden cooling and hydralock.

Back in the 80's I did the Warn Challange with a 90. Great fun. I need to go back, get one or two and ship them here .

19. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Land Rover Folk...almost as quaint as Jeep Folk but without working lights...

20. Stone

Stone Member

Just a thought or two immediately before sleep. YMMV.

1) IAEF (If all else fails), just get out and walk, and hope you've got a 6. :oops:

2) If you ain't got no 6 (like me, yet :confused:),
    at least put up the hammock and lie/lye/lay in it.

What's that red/orange hook for? The 9 mm.

Hammock selfie 2.JPG

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Zeek likes this.