T.M. Hunt Leaveit (the Cleaver)

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by VolGrad, Aug 2, 2017.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Some of you might remember I've been trying to track one of these down for a couple of months. I saw and handled one at BLADE but they only had one left on T.M. Hunt's table and I didn't like the handle material or the mismatched kydex sheath (blue kydex with a black and other color handle knife). I had also already purchased 4 or 5 Chris Reeve Knives that day so I passed.

Shortly after coming home I started looking at online dealers (no luck) and contacted the maker directly to inquire about ordering one. He replied within 23 hours and was great. He asked what material I wanted for the handles, etc. We exchanged a couple of emails but by the time I was ready to order he stopped responding completely. Completely dark.

I lost interest for a few weeks then decided again to attempt contact. Tried email again ... nothing ... so I sent him a PM on Facebook and he responded he was getting ready to go out of town but would contact me when he got back to take the order. Nothing. Tried to contact again ... nothing. Frankly, I gave up and figured it wasn't meant for me to have one.

Fast forward to early last week - I saw on his IG page he had just loaded a batch for sale on his website so I jumped fast and ordered a white G10 handle Cleaver. He posted same on Facebook where I commented I had had issues ordering from him and he made a sort of apology but really nothing other than ... sorry, I pay good money for that not to happen. Not sure what that meant but regardless it happened. I guess business is good.

So after a week of nothing other than my order confirmation email I replied to that and asked (1) when it might ship and (2) why sales taxes were charged for an out of state order. I didn't really care so much as I would have paid that extra $6 without hesitation for the knife but was just curious given the other issues I'd had thus far. NO RESPONSE AT ALL. I did get an "order shipped" email within 24 hours of my email. Funny how that works huh?

I know the guy is a master knife maker and admin and shipping duties are probably not that high on his priority list but it was sorely disappointing. I do wonder if I'd have had the same experience had I wanted to order some of the high dollar knives.

Anyway, it arrived today and I love it. It's really cool and although it looks like a novelty it's a serious cutting blade and will be a cool addition to my daily pocket carry.

Pictured below with the CRK Crosshatch I just won in a raffle which also came today and with an Old Fashioned. Yes, I'm day drinking. Don't judge me.

IMG_5246.JPG
    IMG_5247.JPG
    IMG_5248.JPG

2. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Nothing worse than poor customer service.. and chiggers. That little cleaver is pretty cool I have to admit, and nothing wrong with day drinking.

Zeek likes this.
  3. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Working from home today .... nothing really going on .... family out running errands .... 3 old fashioned later.

Been doing some wood working projects lately. Looks like the wife got another order or two while she was out today having lunch with friends so I'll be brining out the power tools when she gets home and I get the specs on the next project. Wish me luck.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  4. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

That CRK is sweet.

VolGrad likes this.
  5. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Member

Hey Volgrad, I am sorry you had this experience. I haven't been at the shop much, due to father duties, school and life stuff, but I know that is not the way it was running when I left last time

I am not sure of the issues completely, but I will find out what happened. I am happy you like your cleaver. I hope it continues to serve you well and know that no matter the quality, it is not a substitute for how you feel you were treated.

You are right about shipping duties. Todd has help, but it all solely rests on him. That is his business. He does everything from ordering, shipping, and taking out the trash.

I'm sure there is a good explanation for all of this.

6. TMHunt

TMHunt Member

Volgrad. Murphnuge brought this to my attention. I had to renew my membership here to respond but wanted to send a explination to you non the less.

First of all, let me start out by saying I am sorry, but let me explain and hopefully I will address all your concerns.

What I meant by "I pay good money for this not to happen" is that I just had that new website built. Just so happens when things where getting fine tuned that somehow for a certain amount of time, my emails from the site mistakingly was not going to my inbox. I wasnt seeing them. While it may look like Im ignoring people I assure you thats not the case. I recall the emails you made mention of, I do not recall the others you refer to. If I got them I would of done the best I could to get back with you. As far as me telling you I would get back to you after my out of town trip. That is totally on me, and for that I apologise. But according to you statement above that doesnt hold much merit with you. I dont know what else to do, Im human, and I make mistakes. I spend well over 2 hours a day speaking with people, most of them are never going to buy anything anyway, but I pride myself with interaction with my customers. But its getting harder and harder for me to do becuase it keeps me from actually making the knife.

I will also say you got me in a transitional state on those cleavers. I get so much requests for them taking individual orders for them got to be a nightmare. Keep in mind, i dont make a lot on these. So, i decided just to make batches of them and offer them for sale through my site and my dealers. This is going to be common practice for these from now on.

As far as the sales tax. I live in Indiana. I HAVE TO PAY THAT TAX ON EVERYTHING I SELL. it sucks for you I understand, but it is stated on my site. If you are overly concerned about it. I will gladly refund it out my pocket if that would suffice as a suitable apology.

Again, I am very sorry. It pains me for someone not to be happy with any aspect of my service. I try very hard to run this business very honestly with repect for not only my customers but for the craft. Sometimes things just fall through the cracks, and I hate it worse than you do believe me. If you ever decide to do business with me again. Let me know, all of my vehicles for communication should be worked out. I will give you a handsome discount if there is something that interests you.

Todd Hunt.

7. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

After having an issue with a fox kit I bought through Whitty and speaking with both Todd and Murph, I can assure you they care about customers. Todd made it a point to speak to me over the phone and completely fixed the issue I was having at his own expense. I understand miscommunication can happen, in fact I'm sure we're all guilty of it (I know I am).

Looks like a fine cleaver in the end.

8. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Todd
    Much respect to you for responding personally and publicly. I completely understand **** happens but it seemed to happen repeatedly through multiple channels and that is what was frustrating. Daddy duty is 100% first under any circumstance so never apologize for that. Again, I'm stoked you are doing well on the business side and you make an awesome product. I'll send you a reply to the email you sent me shortly. I do want a pocket sized fixed blade like a FoxKit or Magua so I'll take you up on your offer. Again, thanks for reply. It is much appreciated.
    Kevin

9. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

So let me tell you how bad I wanted one of these. I was in the eye doctors office freshly dilated and saw the IG post. I knew if I waited until I could actually read I would miss them all. I managed to get an order in with barely seeing the options and can't believe I could read and enter my payment info. So glad I did though.

Zeek, IW17 and TMHunt like this.
  10. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Nice avatar Todd.

Murphnuge likes this.
  11. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

nice cleaver.

Todd always has the nicest cleavers. Well, Todd and that Rangers fan.

Murphnuge likes this.
  12. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Member

That smooth talker from up Nort'?

13. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I wouldn't believe a word that Todd or Murph guy says. They are sketchy fellas. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I am glad this has been resolved (or is at least in the process). Todd is a really good guy. There is a reason that of the only 2 custom knives I own, Both are TM Hunt knives...There isn't a better maker (craftsman,artist,etc..) that is more deserving of my hard earned money. Someday I'll own one of every knife from his lineup. I guess that Murph guy is alright too, or else Todd wouldnt let him in his shop.....although he lets that Alan guy in there so you can't be too sure :)

Murphnuge likes this.
  14. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

This issue has been resolved as far as I'm concerned. I decided to hold off ordering anything else at the moment in spite of Todd's generous offer. I appreciate his offer though but it's just not necessary. I'm going to love this Cleaver though for sure ..... unless my wife steals it. She loves it. I prob should get her the pink handled one.

Murphnuge likes this.
  15. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Na he's from Cali now. No longer a New Yawka

Murphnuge likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

its so tiny...... :confused: I was expecting a cleaver........not a decal scraper....

:D

Dagwood, Murphnuge and Zeek like this.
  17. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

It is super tiny but super fun.

Murphnuge, Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  18. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

19. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

You can make it up to VolGrad by giving me a steep discount on one of the mini cleavers.

I saw them at blade too. Loved the size/shape and all, but glow in the dark scales just aren't my thing.

20. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

No way. He's going to send my wife a free pink handle Cleaver.

Kidding.